IGNORED

Johnson calling upon fans

RedNight

7 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Did you start some chants yourself to try and get it going?

I was in the lower Lansdown for Wolves and the atmosphere whilst not as constant as S82 was still good and lots of committed City fans in there. 

Jesus Christ, the wolves atmosphere was absolutely gash.

9 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Big atmosphere tomorrow could be a genuine game-changer. The Leeds crowd seemed to have a big impact on Sunday, they picked up and the game turned. Our turn, COYR.

Heard a lot of rubbish about how great the leeds fans were. First half the atmos was poisonous. Mocking their own keeper constantly FFS moaning at every missed placed pass!!!!!!!!!!! I think the noise second half wasnt necessarily to get behind the team but more the club if that makes sense. Like all those years ago when we were getting stuffed at home v Chesterfield under GJ and the CTID chants started up the loudest ive ever heard.

Just so happened it coincided with their first real chance and everyones saying what a great crowd they were.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Have people been suffering with selective hearing from that Leeds game?

First half was silent, they were jeering their own players.. the ‘support’ was actually ironic to begin with, like when you’re part of an away crowd and 4-0 down so start singing for the hell of it.. during this period they scored so the atmosphere was good. It really wasn’t all that.

Compared to every other set of home fans in this league, they were excellent.

9 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’ll get flamed for this but I think it’s because we’ve become very entitled as a fan base. The whole ‘come on Lansdown, get the cheque book out’ mentality, like we’re owed something. 

We’ve not been out of the top six all season pretty much and there’s fans going into absolute meltdown because we’ve drawn a couple of games FFS. 

So, this season, the views of - how many? 20, 30 posters? - having a moan on here now represent the "fanbase." Whereas last season, the people on here moaning and wetting the bed and wanting Johnson out were "not representative of the crowd at AG," we were repeatedly, and firmly, told. 

Can we decide once and for all which it is?

10 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

So, this season, the views of - how many? 20, 30 posters? - having a moan on here now represent the "fanbase." Whereas last season, the people on here moaning and wetting the bed and wanting Johnson out were "not representative of the crowd at AG," we were repeatedly, and firmly, told. 

Can we decide once and for all which it is?

I’m not referring specifically to OTIB. I know plenty of fans in real life who also suffer from the same condition - many who don’t even attend games and still talk like they’re owed 3 points every week. 

30 minutes ago, RedNight said:

Here and Social media. Generally gives an idea of the fan base vibe 

Sorry can't agree with this. Better off discussing things in work or the pub. People in these places rarely come out with the crap that is said on here, instant ridicule is harsh but fair and a very good restricter! 

8 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You must have been at a different Sunderland game to me mucker. 

Weve been ‘making something happen’ all season and the atmosphere has been, in the main, shit. 

You spend anytime on other clubs' forums and you see "atmosphere" threads bemoaning the sterile, bland crowds across the country and all divisions (with a couple of notable exceptions, and one deluded example not a million miles from us here).

Every set of fans interested in atmosphere will say they prefer going away because the togetherness and singing is so much better. You see and hear this said all the time.

It is generally accepted and widely reported around football in this country that post-Hillsbrough and since the advent of all-seater stadia and the PL, with more middle-class supporters and women/families attending, the atmosphere is poor in comparison to the "glory days" (ie, the days when football was cheap, crowds were stood and younger, violence was rife, racism was widespread and audible, facilities were dire/non-existant, phones were at home or in a red box on the pavement not in your hand distracting you, and live football was exciting because there was three live games a season on telly).

This is nothing new. 

And yet here we are berating and flagellating ourselves for being pretty much the same as the majority of crowds around the country the majority of the time in 2018. Because we witnessed Leeds fans making a noise as they retrieved a two goal defecit.

1 minute ago, Jack Dawe said:

You spend anytime on other clubs' forums and you see "atmosphere" threads bemoaning the sterile, bland crowds across the country and all divisions (with a couple of notable exceptions, and one deluded example not a million miles from us here).

Every set of fans interested in atmosphere will say they prefer going away because the togetherness and singing is so much better. You see and hear this said all the time.

It is generally accepted and widely reported around football in this country that post-Hillsbrough and since the advent of all-seater stadia and the PL, with more middle-class supporters and women/families attending, the atmosphere is poor in comparison to the "glory days" (ie, the days when football was cheap, crowds were stood and younger, violence was rife, racism was widespread and audible, facilities were dire/non-existant, phones were at home or in a red box on the pavement not in your hand distracting you, and live football was exciting because there was three live games a season on telly).

This is nothing new. 

And yet here we are berating and flagellating ourselves for being pretty much the same as the majority of crowds around the country the majority of the time in 2018. Because we witnessed Leeds fans making a noise as they retrieved a two goal defecit.

You just called it.

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Here we go, blame our own fans again.

Maybe the atmosphere inside the ground is just a by-product of the sanitised environment that AG has become since the redevelopment...

Some respects that's the pay off of redevelopment unless something different to the norm was done and it wasn't.  No maybes about it and people did tell BS what would happen but they run the show and cut fans out. 

12 hours ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

And the friends who bought me the ticket are definitely floaters - you're not wrong :)

I just wanna be amongst the hard core  If I'm not singing I might as well not be there

I don’t sing much but I have been in the upper Lansdown twice. 

I was a regular at the gate (East End) in the 1980s under Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan. 

I’m not a ‘floater’ but I had a bloody sore throat after the Man U game so I guess I made some noise. 

8 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

This is nothing new. 

The point’s still valid - if Leeds can find the will to do it at 0-2, why can’t we do it at 3-0 ?

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The point’s still valid - if Leeds can find the will to do it at 0-2, why can’t we do it at 3-0 ?

No.

They were toilet last season.

And heres the point.

In the Dolman fans who wanted to put a lovely flag up were told meeting first.

Word on the bush was they were told we'll be in touch.

Touch was months later and nay chaps only in the singing section.

Last time I gave it a standing warble in the Dolman its was def con one time and the OB got the cameras out v Leeds.

Been going on fer years that.

Easier to pout feet up but not on any furniture .... That will be wrong as well. 

6 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

No.

They were toilet last season.

And heres the point.

In the Dolman fans who wanted to put a lovely flag up were told meeting first.

Word on the bush was they were told we'll be in touch.

Touch was months later and nay chaps only in the singing section.

Last time I gave it a standing warble in the Dolman its was def con one time and the OB got the cameras out v Leeds.

Been going on fer years that.

Easier to pout feet up but not on any furniture .... That will be wrong as well. 

I’m not sure what you’re saying. How does OB having cameras against Leeds stop people singing at 3-0 vs Sunderland?

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m not sure what you’re saying. How does OB having cameras against Leeds stop people singing at 3-0 vs Sunderland?

Your point twas if Leeds can do it why can't we.

You got an example of can't.

Those cant's make people don't more and not at all.

Quite normal that.

Ashton Gate is what it is because it was made that way.

10 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Your point twas if Leeds can do it why can't we.

You got an example of can't.

Those cant's make people don't more and not at all.

Quite normal that.

Ashton Gate is what it is because it was made that way.

So Ashton Gate is fundamentally different in that regards to every other club? Not buying it. All fans have faced challenges and deterrents to some degree but it doesn’t stopping us making an atmosphere when we can be bothered (see Man U at home) 

Simple fact is we couldn’t be bothered at 3-0 to get it going, we just sat on our hands waiting for more. I can’t be the only one that finds that a bit sad. 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The Leeds comparison is completely misplaced. While it's absolutely true that the Leeds fans getting going was a big part of the momentum shift on Sunday, they were largely silent for the best part of an hour apart from some booing and jeering, they were every bit as bad as Ashton Gate can be.

And then, they didn't suddenly find the will at 0-2 to get up for it like some orchestrated superfans, I remember quite vividly what sparked them into life was the ref giving them a decision, having been (wrongly) convinced that they'd been unfairly treated all game when their players kept hacking into us.  

It was a flashpoint, those moments all the crowd is united in a bit of a noise, and it goes off from there. I've seen it happen at AG plenty of times - you just need a trigger, and a howling sense of injustice is one. Elland Road is no different to AG and was as bad as we'd be at 2-0 down, in my opinion worse!

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Because that's two different football experiences you site there. For one.

They did v us what we did v them in 2015, only they did it with 27k fans, we did it with about half that (so not going to be as noisy): make a racket as a two goal defecit is cancelled out. Having previously, as the visitors built their lead, been nothing like as noisy.

Going 3:0 up at home to a bottom 3 side, is not a like-for-like comparison with coming back from 0:2 down at home to a side in the play-off spots you are trying to make ground on. Different situation and different "feel," and thus, different reaction. Complacent? Probably. Entitled? Hmmmm. Not sure.

Not that we are or ever will be as noisy as the Leeds crowd. Not arguing that. Do we have stats on the percentage of young males (15 - 35) attending Leeds and Bristol City matches? There might be an answer in this.

Another might be how Leeds fans and our fans see them/ourselves, collective identity, and as we keep on and on about the poor atmosphere we have a self-perpetuating situation. We could try the opposite - delude ourselves, even - and ignore the quiet games, and simply bang on about the Man Utd game and how noisy a crowd we are. It works for other crowds.

But it's interesting to me that in 105 seasons of professional league football we have averaged 20k or more in just eleven of those 105 years. And we currently average 20,600. That's excellent - for us - but still we find reason to chastise ourselves for something that is happening nationally, and has been for 20 years plus.

14 minutes ago, Olé said:

The Leeds comparison is completely misplaced. While it's absolutely true that the Leeds fans getting going was a big part of the momentum shift on Sunday, they were largely silent for the best part of an hour apart from some booing and jeering, they were every bit as bad as Ashton Gate can be.

And then, they didn't suddenly find the will at 0-2 to get up for it like some orchestrated superfans, I remember quite vividly what sparked them into life was the ref giving them a decision, having been (wrongly) convinced that they'd been unfairly treated all game when their players kept hacking into us.  

It was a flashpoint, those moments all the crowd is united in a bit of a noise, and it goes off from there. I've seen it happen at AG plenty of times - you just need a trigger, and a howling sense of injustice is one. Elland Road is no different to AG and was as bad as we'd be at 2-0 down, in my opinion worse!

Yeah to be fair I wasn’t saying Leeds should be a benchmark. Jut questioning why at 0-2 they can finally get behind their team (regardless of what went on before) whereas at 3-0 we were still awful vs Sunderland 

4 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Because that's two different football experiences you site there. For one.

They did v us what we did v them in 2015, only they did it with 27k fans, we did it with about half that (so not going to be as noisy): make a racket as a two goal defecit is cancelled out. Having previously, as the visitors built their lead, been nothing like as noisy.

Going 3:0 up at home to a bottom 3 side, is not a like-for-like comparison with coming back from 0:2 down at home to a side in the play-off spots you are trying to make ground on. Different situation and different "feel," and thus, different reaction. Complacent? Probably. Entitled? Hmmmm. Not sure.

Not that we are or ever will be as noisy as the Leeds crowd. Not arguing that. Do we have stats on the percentage of young males (15 - 35) attending Leeds and Bristol City matches? There might be an answer in this.

Another might be how Leeds fans and our fans see them/ourselves, collective identity, and as we keep on and on about the poor atmosphere we have a self-perpetuating situation. We could try the opposite - delude ourselves, even - and ignore the quiet games, and simply bang on about the Man Utd game and how noisy a crowd we are. It works for other crowds.

But it's interesting to me that in 105 seasons of professional league football we have averaged 20k or more in just eleven of those 105 years. And we currently average 20,600. That's excellent - for us - but still we find reason to chastise ourselves for something that is happening nationally, and has been for 20 years plus.

I do get that. We traditionally raise our support when under the cosh rather than cruising.  

I just find it a bit sad how underwhelming the atmosphere has been given how well we’ve done this season. I don’t think that’s unfair criticism. 

Like I say 07/08 was a stark contrast despite the almost identical over achievement. 

19 hours ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

It's been a little bit rubbish for decades - nowt to do with the redevelopment. 

Just listen to the noise that Leeds made on the weekend at 2-0 down .. incredible stuff ...AG is rarely like that! 

At 1:2, and then 2:2, yes, but at 0:2?

And it was pretty much exactly the same in reverse at AG v Leeds in Aug 2015, only with half the crowd, and it didn't last very long because, 0:2 to Leeds we didn't get to 1:2 until the 89th minute, before Flint made it 2:2 in added time. So it lasted about 4 minutes. With a 14,700* crowd instead of 28k one.

Twice as many people at Leeds, and twice as long (more than that) to make a racket including time to go for the winner, unlike us in 2015 = more noise = more of an impression on our little West Country minds.

Ffs!

But maybe you weren't there? Or had cleared off on 85 minutes?!

**Yes, crowd would've been about 11/12k as Agard popped in the first on 89 mins.

28 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I do get that. We traditionally raise our support when under the cosh rather than cruising.  

I just find it a bit sad how underwhelming the atmosphere has been given how well we’ve done this season. I don’t think that’s unfair criticism. 

Like I say 07/08 was a stark contrast despite the almost identical over achievement. 

Is there any possibility that the more atmospheric grounds allow a greater percentage to stand? Not sure, just asking but it seems clear that S82 is hemmed in on all sides which is why I would personally reclaim the whole of the Atyeo and stick away fans in the Lansdown where they can pay for the priviledge.

Wont happen of course.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

Is there any possibility that the more atmospheric grounds allow a greater percentage to stand? Not sure, just asking but it seems clear that S82 is hemmed in on all sides which is why I would personally reclaim the whole of the Atyeo and stick away fans in the Lansdown where they can pay for the priviledge.

Wont happen of course.

I’m sure a larger ‘stand if you like’ section would improve things for sure. 

This isn’t a dig at S82 by any means but I think an almost ‘back to basics’ approach regards the content that’s sung would see a shift towards a more unified voice as alluded to before....simply put - kids and parents aren’t going to sing about the Gas managers mother being a lady of the night or telling the Gas to ‘**** off’. I have no personal objection to swearing in football songs but it’s never going to lead to more getting involved.

I think we’d see a lot more people gradually becoming part of the voice if we stuck to the simple clean stuff, and that gets the atmosphere circulating round the ground rather than a ‘S82’ and ‘everyone else’ type thing. 

Archived