IGNORED

Johnson calling upon fans

RedNight

21 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

My memory isn’t that good but during 07/08 - when we were over achieving to the same degree we are now, every game felt like the Man U game. 

Maybe it’s the nostalgia specs but the Sunderland game was absolutely piss poor and really emphasised the increasing apathy  

Not one season since has even come close to the atmosphere that season. Even the promotion under SC was very underwhelming in comparison. 

God I miss the EE.

6 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Not one season since has even come close to the atmosphere that season. Even the promotion under SC was very underwhelming in comparison. 

God I miss the EE.

Yep. And those who couldn’t stand any criticism of our amazing fans said it was because we didn’t have four stands etc etc, there’s always an excuse (now it’s flourscent lights and ticket prices, even though the majority are in on season tickets....) but ultimately it’s us as fans that determine the atmosphere. 

We could be bothered against Man U, we can often not be bothered. I don’t think it’s an unfair observation. 

19 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yep. And those who couldn’t stand any criticism of our amazing fans said it was because we didn’t have four stands etc etc, there’s always an excuse (now it’s flourscent lights and ticket prices, even though the majority are in on season tickets....) but ultimately it’s us as fans that determine the atmosphere. 

We could be bothered against Man U, we can often not be bothered. I don’t think it’s an unfair observation. 

You keep going on about the light thing mate. It was me who used it in this thread and it was said as  an example of the club not listening to its fans and therefore not working together with them -  as I've already said.  That was the point.  I don't think the lights per se precludes people from joining in. Although I believe some in the past have said that the light makes them more self aware...... The more important point that was made - that you don't seem to have latched onto - is the clubs treatment of our fellow supporters who make a huge effort to get an atmosphere going specifically in S82. The intimidating presence of riot police in that section for no good reason , the filming,  the excessive man handling of fans by our stewards for no to little apparent reason - sometimes in front of kids if my memory serves me correctly. The threats of bans for over exhuberent celebration.  

Then there's the failure to treat away fans as equals - allowing them to get away with pyro, standing in stair wells etc with no apparent punishment.

The club needs to engage and listen to its fans and work with them not against them. 

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

You keep going on about the light thing mate. It was me who used it in this thread and it was said as  an example of the club not listening to its fans and therefore not working together with them -  as I've already said.  That was the point.  I don't think the lights per se precludes people from joining in. Although I believe some in the past have said that the light makes them more self aware...... The more important point that was made - that you don't seem to have latched onto - is the clubs treatment of our fellow supporters who make a huge effort to get an atmosphere going specifically in S82. The intimidating presence of riot police in that section for no good reason , the filming,  the excessive man handling of fans by our stewards for no to little apparent reason - sometimes in front of kids if my memory serves me correctly. The threats of bans for over exhuberent celebration.  

Then there's the failure to treat away fans as equals - allowing them to get away with pyro, standing in stair wells etc with no apparent punishment.

The club needs to engage and listen to its fans and work with them not against them. 

I’m absolutely not saying the club haven’t got things wrong, or couldn’t do more to encourage the generation of atmosphere.

I’m just saying that lights being on don’t stop people who want to make noise from making noise.    

The problem is there’s just not enough people who want to make noise  

I completely take and agree with the wider point that you raise (FWIW the lighting was used as an excuse for poor atmosphere long before I saw you bring it up!) and before that it was construction work, and before that it was.... etc etc. 

18 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Perhaps people are "relaxed" about things, not in any great rush to get to the PL (confident in "the project" delivering at some point), and not absolutely targetting promotion this season?

Perhaps, but the perfect storm happens rarely. 

No doubt Reading or Sheffield Weds thought they would be stronger this season.

Opportunities need to be recognised and seized when they present themselves. 

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m absolutely not saying the club haven’t got things wrong, or couldn’t do more to encourage the generation of atmosphere.

I’m just saying that lights being on don’t stop people who want to make noise from making noise.    

The problem is there’s just not enough people who want to make noise  

I completely take and agree with the wider point that you raise (FWIW the lighting was used as an excuse for poor atmosphere long before I saw you bring it up!) and before that it was construction work, and before that it was.... etc etc. 

Fair play. There's a perception from me and many more that the actions of the club towards its more vocal participants are not helping create the atmosphere that it seems to want. The England flag 'debacle' against Cardiff is yet another example off the top of my head. I don't understand why that is as it seems to be a closed shop in terms of trying to get answers or answers being shared from Mr Storrie and the SAG (again I may be wrong but thats the impression I get) but it's this relationship that needs to be open and strong for things to improve and the atmosphere to them grow. Club and fans working together. Seems simple to me.....

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Fair play. There's a perception from me and many more that the actions of the club towards its more vocal participants are not helping create the atmosphere that it seems to want. The England flag 'debacle' against Cardiff is yet another example off the top of my head. I don't understand why that is as it seems to be a closed shop in terms of trying to get answers or answers being shared from Mr Storrie and the SAG (again I may be wrong but thats the impression I get) but it's this relationship that needs to be open and strong for things to improve and the atmosphere to them grow. Club and fans working together. Seems simple to me.....

100% with you on that - the actions of the club that day were indefensible. 

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

Spot on. You don't have to look far to see that, Crystal Palace and their more vocal fans have worked with the club to produce one of the better atmospheres in English football.

Not saying we should do this, but AC Venezia in Italy once had their Curva Sud ultras on their third kit. World away from that here.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Agree. It's not a unique one, either. Fans at many other clubs are saying the very same about themselves. AG and it's "atmosphere" is one part of a wider, national trend that is decades old now. An important observation to add, imho.

It takes more effort and intention to sing nowadays, as singing and sitting down are not natural bedfellows (see any choir or choral society or any singing worthy of the name). And organisation. Hence the oft-maligned S82 boys n girls. And collaboration with the club. And a bit of turning a blind-ear to some of the near-the-knuckle stuff sometimes (in contrast to this, we have had lines of plod surrounding our largely benign if foul-mouthed singing section. Do the plod do this at Leeds?) And even obvious encouragement and welcome from the club for partisan backing, which I don't think we have at AG - indeed, I remember Cotterill openly pleading for us to be "hostile" while, simultaneously, the club were addressing bad language around children/families. Mixed messages. What do we want to be: Leeds/hostile, or Reading/family?)

I sense that Leeds, the club, welcome and encourage a hostile vocal environment - talk it up, are proud of it - because they believe it will swing some games their way (and they don't have too many other working ideas how to achieve this themselves). Same as a few other clubs. I don't get the same impression with us.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think it's the critical moment when the emotion exceeds the social conditioning  that people express themselves.

A goal , a nasty foul , a perceived injustice all evoke a reaction.

A nice pass or a sportsmanlike behaviour are likely to be appreciated with a round of applause.

Against Leeds their crowd were awful , toxic , in the first half but when their players put in one or two blocks or took on our defence they reacted and lifted the team.

So the team need to lift the crowd and when the supporters see that they're getting stuck in they will get behind them. 

18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Perhaps, but the perfect storm happens rarely. 

No doubt Reading or Sheffield Weds thought they would be stronger this season.

Opportunities need to be recognised and seized when they present themselves. 

I would differentiate between the 2.

Reading- they were somewhat of an outlier, stats showed this- a clear case of over-achievement- good play and management, combined with momentum and the crest of a wave got them to play off final IMO.

Sheff Wed- I'd say their current position is a greater surprise. One of the stronger sides, clearly had a good coach (Carvahal is doing excellent work at Swansea), so their collapse the bigger surprise when you consider that they did well in 15-16 too.

At work so don't have time to consider in full but fully agree with post by @Jack Dawe above too! Mixed messages exactly what it is!

@JamesBCFC It was- but we thought the game was won, too easy- and that transmitted to the team too and we all know how that ended!

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I think it's the critical moment when the emotion exceeds the social conditioning  that people express themselves.

A goal , a nasty foul , a perceived injustice all evoke a reaction.

A nice pass or a sportsmanlike behaviour are likely to be appreciated with a round of applause.

Against Leeds their crowd were awful , toxic , in the first half but when their players put in one or two blocks or took on our defence they reacted and lifted the team.

So the team need to lift the crowd and when the supporters see that they're getting stuck in they will get behind them. 

But the crowd was dire against Sunderland when we were 3-0 in the first half.

5 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Agree. It's not a unique one, either. Fans at many other clubs are saying the very same about themselves. AG and it's "atmosphere" is one part of a wider, national trend that is decades old now. An important observation to add, imho.

It takes more effort and intention to sing nowadays, as singing and sitting down are not natural bedfellows (see any choir or choral society or any singing worthy of the name). And organisation. Hence the oft-maligned S82 boys n girls. And collaboration with the club. And a bit of turning a blind-ear to some of the near-the-knuckle stuff sometimes (in contrast to this, we have had lines of plod surrounding our largely benign if foul-mouthed singing section. Do the plod do this at Leeds?) And even obvious encouragement and welcome from the club for partisan backing, which I don't think we have at AG - indeed, I remember Cotterill openly pleading for us to be "hostile" while, simultaneously, the club were addressing bad language around children/families. Mixed messages. What do we want to be: Leeds/hostile, or Reading/family?)

I sense that Leeds, the club, welcome and encourage a hostile vocal environment - talk it up, are proud of it - because they believe it will swing some games their way (and they don't have too many other working ideas how to achieve this themselves). Same as a few other clubs. I don't get the same impression with us.

I don’t think it’s a problem unique to us, far from it. I just don’t care about what other clubs do. It just makes me a bit sad to see such a sterile atmosphere when we’re having the best season in a decade. 

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

But the crowd was dire against Sunderland when we were 3-0 in the first half.

This is a highly subjective issue!

If crowds and vocal support really mattered all that much, clubs like Leeds, Villa, Wednesday could never be a division below Bournemouth and Watford; or Portsmouth below Burton; or anyone below Reading or Fleetwood, and so on.

So, we are fretting about something that might very possibly influence some games, some times, but over 46 games, or a decade, what difference does it make?

Other than giving certain crowds something to toss themselves off over?

But, as @BRISTOL86 says, it'd be nice to show this team more appreciation and backing.

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So Ashton Gate is fundamentally different in that regards to every other club? Not buying it. All fans have faced challenges and deterrents to some degree but it doesn’t stopping us making an atmosphere when we can be bothered (see Man U at home) 

Simple fact is we couldn’t be bothered at 3-0 to get it going, we just sat on our hands waiting for more. I can’t be the only one that finds that a bit sad. 

Not that interested in others.

Wurzel FC  is now fundamentally different to the old one.

Course the fans will behave differently.

Because we are not allowed to behave as once was.

There is the sketch.

Old A/B Dolman.

When Ashton Gate was intimidating.

That is not what they want because it is bad sell to families and affects the brand would affect the chow down and drunken cider singing swine do not make Bristol Sport proud,

Has to be controlled.

Gentrified.

Fans with knackers off.

Poofy ... And that in some quarters is non pc and bad.

KITR had it right except the maybe.

Bright coves saying  what was in the post posted about the future on here now years ago.

Here it is .. 

You seemed vexed about people being right. 

27 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Not that interested in others.

Wurzel FC  is now fundamentally different to the old one.

Course the fans will behave differently.

Because we are not allowed to behave as once was.

There is the sketch.

Old A/B Dolman.

When Ashton Gate was intimidating.

That is not what they want because it is bad sell to families and affects the brand would affect the chow down and drunken cider singing swine do not make Bristol Sport proud,

Has to be controlled.

Gentrified.

Fans with knackers off.

Poofy ... And that in some quarters is non pc and bad.

KITR had it right except the maybe.

Bright coves saying  what was in the post posted about the future on here now years ago.

Here it is .. 

You seemed vexed about people being right. 

Sorry to interrupt this rambling stream of consciousness, but I’m not seeing anything in that post that explains why people don’t join in when a chant starts?

Do you honestly believe that the ‘demons’ at Bristol Sport want everyone to sit in silence? Because that’s nonsense. 

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

’m sure a larger ‘stand if you like’ section would improve things for sure. 

This isn’t a dig at S82 by any means but I think an almost ‘back to basics’ approach regards the content that’s sung would see a shift towards a more unified voice as alluded to before....simply put - kids and parents aren’t going to sing about the Gas managers mother being a lady of the night or telling the Gas to ‘**** off’. I have no personal objection to swearing in football songs but it’s never going to lead to more getting involved.

I think we’d see a lot more people gradually becoming part of the voice if we stuck to the simple clean stuff, and that gets the atmosphere circulating round the ground rather than a ‘S82’ and ‘everyone else’ type thing. 

You want even nicer!  Its lame and fluffy already. That's why the ground is so quiet

36 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sorry to interrupt this rambling stream of consciousness, but I’m not seeing anything in that post that explains why people don’t join in when a chant starts?

Do you honestly believe that the ‘demons’ at Bristol Sport want everyone to sit in silence? Because that’s nonsense. 

Instead of diving in feet first you need to stay on your feet if you are going to boss the midfield of the thread.

Never said that.

The neutering of Ashton Gate started well before Bristol Sport .

What did say was that parts of the past will never be allowed a foothold again by BS.

Did stewards and BS tell fans in the Dolman you can't put flags up and sing stood up unless you are in the singing section? 

Have pesky fans been stopped from doing either in the Dolman?.

Yes.

So if your question was do you think BS would rather fans in the Dolman were safely sat instead like Val Doonican ?

Yes.

The clever chaps this being a by product of sanitised environ ... Yes.

No nonsense.

44 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

You want even nicer!  Its lame and fluffy already. That's why the ground is so quiet

No. Not what I’m saying. I’m saying if the end goal is MORE people singing, then that won’t happen if half the songs that the (excellent) S82 start are expletive laden. 

Ie 5000 people singing COYR will be louder than 1000 singing ‘Darrel W@nks Off Dogs’ :) 

Well pretty sure the fans gave Johnson what he wanted. Went into the game and for the first 15mins the Lansdown was silent. In fact, there were a few ass holes looking at me and smirking as if I was some rare species of fan for actually supporting the team.

BUT all of a sudden they began to join in and all in all I thought the atmosphere was really good. Credit to the fans (especially S82 they were great, some class chants) they really got behind the team tonight. 

Was my favourite league game this season (and I've been to most!)

On 20/02/2018 at 11:14, RedNight said:

I think this says a lot about our recent support/ atmosphere of late.

We've been upmongst the play offs all year and have had a cup run beyond anyone's imaginations. Yet our manager has to come out and get the fans up for it.

Im actually hoping the last couple of results will make fans realise we're in a fight here and nothing's garunteed. I think lately we've been turning up and expecting wins. Which is a credit to the players that our expectations are so high. 

Everyone knows what a big game tomorrow is and Ashton Gate under the lights is an unbelievable place when it wants to be! Hoping for a massive atmosphere tomorrow. The fact that everyone knows it's a tough game will hopefully help the atmosphere! 

Lets do our best guys!! Get behind the boys! 

Youu reds.

( @James_ , are the flags going to be out in S82) looks class and often sets the tone)

Sorry for delay in response mate. 

As you probably clocked, no flags out this evening. Planning something hopefully for Sheff Wednesday though!

8 hours ago, Williams' Penalty said:

Well pretty sure the fans gave Johnson what he wanted. Went into the game and for the first 15mins the Lansdown was silent. In fact, there were a few ass holes looking at me and smirking as if I was some rare species of fan for actually supporting the team.

BUT all of a sudden they began to join in and all in all I thought the atmosphere was really good. Credit to the fans (especially S82 they were great, some class chants) they really got behind the team tonight. 

Was my favourite league game this season (and I've been to most!)

Yep I think we raised our game tonight. It only really happened at 1-1, was quiet before that but it’s got to be said, you could see it translate into positivity on the pitch. 

On 20/02/2018 at 17:08, Galley is our king said:

Well if there was anyone on here who could write a negative post about a call to arms it just had to be you! 

Negative, negative, negative blah blah blah 

Just give it a rest yea? 

I will predict this -

We lose to Fulham and you will be on here, thread after thread of negativity.

We beat Fulham and you will not have anything to say (unless its negative).

Just saying.... 

So a draw and a good performance. Nothing to say @cidered aboroad? As predicted.

What about @Londoner

Let me see if I can help you 

"Well done boys", "improved performance", "good atmosphere"

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion but in my view you lose credibility by just being negative. Be negative, we all are from time to time but at least add some positive comments when deserved.

After all, we are all City fans aren't we?

I take it all back, just seen @cidered aboroad comment in the Bailey Wright thread, good post and one I can agree with!

Archived