IGNORED

New signings plus Diedhiou back

bcfcredandwhite

Is it just me or are they all part of the reason for our ‘stumble’ recently?

Kent is tricky enough, but lacks vision - seems to run into traffic and get dispossessed because he thinks he is the next Messi(?) a bit greedy imho  

Walsh hasn’t done anything for me either so far - nor has Diony  - and now Diedhiou has returned we seem to be pushing everything through him. Ok he’s scoring and long may that continue, but I am detecting a deviation from the right-knit organised team we had before the January window  - we don’t have the unity we had before.

cue the cries of outrage!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Kent is tricky enough, but lacks vision - seems to run into traffic and get dispossessed because he thinks he is the next Messi(?) a bit greedy imho  

Walsh hasn’t done anything for me either so far - nor has Diony  - and now Diedhiou has returned we seem to be pushing everything through him. Ok he’s scoring and long may that continue, but I am detecting a deviation from the right-knit organised team we had before the January window  - we don’t have the unity we had before.

Our corners are more accurate since Ryan Kent's been on them. i'm in the 'like' camp. He's young and has stuff to learn, but he takes people on and has a go. Not outraged, because i respect others see it differently. But i think he is a prospect and hasn't been to blame any more than anyone else.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Laughable how people are criticising Walsh for not having done enough (seen it a few times on here so not just this), he's another of the 'one for the future' camp, just a case we signed him in January as that's when he was available. 

He made the bench immediately - not sure who he replaced tbh and if it was injuries that forced it then I stand corrected. 

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Laughable how people are criticising Walsh for not having done enough (seen it a few times on here so not just this), he's another of the 'one for the future' camp, just a case we signed him in January as that's when he was available. 

He signed early Jan and made his debut in the 1st leg league cup semi final against Man City after a week at the club, then, started against Norwich in the next game, I'd suggest the management thought, he's also one for the present. I'm not criticising him though, maybe he needs a bit longer to settle in.

7 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

He made the bench immediately - not sure who he replaced tbh and if it was injuries that forced it then I stand corrected. 

Haven’t you learned from the signings of brownhill, O’dowda etc. They took best part of a season to bed in and get used to the championship. Walsh will be the same. 

Its been stated hundreds of times this is how we’re doing things now but people still don’t get it. 

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

He signed early Jan and made his debut in the 1st leg league cup semi final against Man City after a week at the club, then, started against Norwich in the next game, I'd suggest the management thought, he's also one for the present. I'm not criticising him though, maybe he needs a bit longer to settle in.

Just said in a different thread, he may be seen as able to compete at this level but not first choice when compared to who we have. When I say one for the future in that he'll be around for a while (barring a big move) and he'll get more exposure as time goes on. 

I agree @bcfcredandwhite that we seem to have disrupted what was good.

Kent in particular I find a really strange one. A very good player yet a very bad player for us. He isn't good defensively and although he is learning his role it won't come soon enough. To accommodate him, we look weaker at LB because a) he doesn't track back well and b) we play Joe Bryan there rather than offensively.

I know he hasn't played much but he hasn't had any end product. So, is he worth looking less solid in midfield, looking less solid in defence, for producing no goals or assists? Is he going to contribute more than Bryan would at LM? What do we lose by having Bryan at LB. I just cannot understand how LJ is deciding to stick with him at the moment.

32 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

The interesting thing is that we played our best football with Bobby as both nr 9  & 10

22 minutes ago, hodge said:

Just said in a different thread, he may be seen as able to compete at this level but not first choice when compared to who we have. When I say one for the future in that he'll be around for a while (barring a big move) and he'll get more exposure as time goes on. 

Thank you - my point exactly. 

They displaced players who excelled themselves up to and including the Man U game. 

Like I said; I wish them well (of course I do) but we were better before they arrived. 

35 minutes ago, hodge said:

So agree with this.  Only eleven can start, and only some of these are what you’d term "first choice", some are competing for a place in the starting eleven, some are competing for a place in the 18 match day squad.

Very subjective, but I think these are "first choice" (if everyone fit and based on season so far):

Fielding - came back in straight from injury

Flint - might not have been 6 months ago, but even if Pisano comes back in at RB, I can’t see LJ leaving Aden out and playing Wright (skipper or not)

Baker - our best defender imho

Bryan - whether LB or LM

Smith - having a pre-season has confirmed he’s a Auto-pick in CM

Reid - I can’t imagine LJ leaving him out unless purely for a rest.

Others in the equation:

Pack and Brownhill - but one will miss out in a CM pairing, if LJ doesn’t play Brownhill wide, e.g. if O’Dowda was fit.

Diedhiou - probably in the first group, but cup games have shown we could play with just Reid.

Wright - see above re Flint, but I think a fit Pisano gives LJ a headache!

so I’ve actually listed 6 definites and 4 maybes.  That only leaves one place in the starting eleven.  That is why it is difficult to integrate new players and even fringe first teamers into the eleven....and therefore we get lots of fringe players deemed not good enough / why did we buy him to sit on the bench for £x’m.

I blame our 'Stumble' on the fact that our small squad are running on empty after such an exhausting  cup run. Once we have a full squad again with 5 injuries returning plus the January additions bedded in we shall be up and running again lets just hope its this season 

20 minutes ago, westonred said:

I blame our 'Stumble' on the fact that our small squad are running on empty after such an exhausting  cup run. Once we have a full squad again with 5 injuries returning plus the January additions bedded in we shall be up and running again lets just hope its this season 

I'm not sure the cup had a negative effect quite the opposite in fact but undoubtedly the long injury list has had  quite an impact and despite that City are still in the top six.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm not sure the cup had a negative effect quite the opposite in fact but undoubtedly the long injury list has had  quite an impact and despite that City are still in the top six.

I agree, I don't like cups being used as excuses. I wish we were still in the FA Cup. What has affected us has been the huge injury list. If we were still in the cups but had Pisano, O Neill, Hegalar, O Dowda, Djuric , Taylor etc and were able to make changes and freshen up it wouldn't have been an issue. The thin squad from December to January has cost us. Numbers starting to look better now.

20 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I agree, I don't like cups being used as excuses. I wish we were still in the FA Cup. What has affected us has been the huge injury list. If we were still in the cups but had Pisano, O Neill, Hegalar, O Dowda, Djuric , Taylor etc and were able to make changes and freshen up it wouldn't have been an issue. The thin squad from December to January has cost us. Numbers starting to look better now.

I think it had a bit to do with the stumble but that excuse was gone when we played Sunderland and Leeds imo. We have had a month of just weekend matches now(probably just short) that included 4-5 days in warm weather. 

I think there are many reasons and it isn’t really fair on the players to say he is the reason. Famara and Kent were two standouts in the halves we went 3 and 2 up. Should those leads not be safe?

Like I said it is a number of things like luck(Bolton possible penalty), own goals, a key suspension, integrating new players(whether new or back from injury), out of top form players(Paterson and Diony). Many reasons all at the same time. Funnily enough we have looked really good in most of our matches still at some point. Baker back will improve us massively. No Pack weakens us though(not to the point Baker’s loss did though imo). Two huge games in the next 5 days now and the boys will be up for them. Not likely but I wouldn’t be surprised if we took 4 or 6 points. This group has a way of coming together in bigger matches. 

14 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Haven’t you learned from the signings of brownhill, O’dowda etc. They took best part of a season to bed in and get used to the championship. Walsh will be the same. 

Its been stated hundreds of times this is how we’re doing things now but people still don’t get it. 

Yeah that's exactly what we needed halfway through a season when we were in a great position to get promoted.

14 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

If Ryan Kent had the name Cole and the surname Skuse and hailed from The West I am sure he would be a legend to some. The guy is head and shoulders above O'Dowda and Paterson. 

7 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

If Ryan Kent had the name Cole and the surname Skuse and hailed from The West I am sure he would be a legend to some. The guy is head and shoulders above O'Dowda and Paterson. 

Do you genuinely believe that? I think Kent has huge potential going forward but he has the look of a talented kid about him for me. Bags of ability but his decision making and defensive play are poor. 

Paterson is going through a poor run but on song he is quick, tricky and has a fantastic goal in him.

O’Dowda was superb before his injury too. Excellent going forward and also put in a shift to help out defensively - him and Paterson are big reasons why this season has been so good thus far. 

Kent clearly has bags of ability but hasn’t shown himself to be more effective than either of them imo. 

15 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Do you genuinely believe that? I think Kent has huge potential going forward but he has the look of a talented kid about him for me. Bags of ability but his decision making and defensive play are poor. 

Paterson is going through a poor run but on song he is quick, tricky and has a fantastic goal in him.

O’Dowda was superb before his injury too. Excellent going forward and also put in a shift to help out defensively - him and Paterson are big reasons why this season has been so good thus far. 

Kent clearly has bags of ability but hasn’t shown himself to be more effective than either of them imo. 

The guy creates chances. Had trickery and delivers a mean ball

At least since Diediou's come back and Kent's in the team we're scoring again, our poor results prior to that were a lack of goals. We have the players to fix the defence, Baker is back and we need Magners at LB, Joe has done better from midfield imo. LJ has made a bit of a mess of the defence while Baker was out, should have used Magners more thought he was magnificent at Leeds.

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

At least since Diediou's come back and Kent's in the team we're scoring again, our poor results prior to that were a lack of goals. We have the players to fix the defence, Baker is back and we need Magners at LB, Joe has done better from midfield imo. LJ has made a bit of a mess of the defence while Baker was out, should have used Magners more thought he was magnificent at Leeds.

Slight caveat, I believe it was touched on that Maggers was poorly and therefore not available before Leeds. 

This news seems  to have slipped under the radar a bit .We aren't always party to everything that happens at the club .

If he was fit I agree totally with you. 

19 hours ago, hodge said:

he also looked incredibly comfortable in his debut away at Man City. The lad will be decent in time

As many hear says, Kent keep the ball to long. He have had 2 assists so far and really hope he score tonight If he plays. So far he have not played so well I think. Hope he can do a good game tonight. Pack is missing, dont know how LJ will form the team. Brownhill? Paterson? Walsh? Eliasson? Think Eliasson will play from start. Got the feeling that we are winning tonight.

8 hours ago, Jacki said:

Agree about O'dowda,he started to fulfill his potential before his injury.

Worth saying we had one win in eight before Diedhiou came back and were crying out for another option up front. I really do not think he is part of the problem, especially as we are attacking well at the moment.

The problem to me has been players missing - especially Baker. We haven’t been able to consistently pick our strongest line-up and that has destabilised things. I do not for second think we would have thrown away leads in the last two matches had he been on the pitch.

Archived