IGNORED

Fulham (Home) - What can we expect?

Davefevs

Okay, so since I’ve started these, Derby, Sunderland and Leeds, what results have they produced? 0-0, 3-3 and 2-2.

Guessing we’d like a win tomorrow, so hoping past performance is no guide to future performance. 

Below is the Fulham side from Saturday’s 2-0 home win v Villa.  The GK and back 4 was the same v Bolton away (1-1)

27C86F26-85DF-4A36-8FAB-ED5EB44D193A.jpeg.a273f2b37bf4d4ed04fda2813615cfc5.jpeg

GK: Bettinelli - supposedly a summer target for us.  For me he’s on a list that I think is erratic (Camp and Wiedwald in previous games).  In fairness he’s the ‘shot stopper’ type, but not a great handler from a tech perspective.

RB: Fredericks - and as fast as his namesake Frankie.  I’m probably one of the few on here who thought he did ok for us (and I loved Little).  He was made for Cotts’s 352, but glass chin if rumour is true.  He can hurt us tomorrow, if we allow him to link up with Ayite or Piazon.

LB: Targett - Southampton loanee.  Tidy as left backs go, and we’ll suited to Fulham’s pass and move.  Not the greatest defensively.

CB: Ream - Ex-Bolton.  Not someone who’s ever been on my radar for anything other than being average.  Watch him have a blinder tomorrow!

CB: Kalas - Chelsea loanee. Not really seen much of him to add anything of note.

CM: McDonald - a very underrated player who will want to get on the ball and dictate play.  Good off either foot, and can keep it simple.  Potential for lack of discipline in his play if really pressured or not having it his own way.

CM: Johansen - alongside McD, he is the more box-to-box, great energy, lovely on the ball.  Would get more plaudits if Cairney wasn’t there.

RF: Ayite - explosive wide man who is not your typical ‘press his head down and watch him run".  He is more a give it and go wideman that fits Fulham’s passers, and will undoubtedly look to get in round the back for balls in behind our LB (or RB if he plays left....especially against Bailey).  Might play Piazon away from home, who’s more of a right midfielder.  Technically very good, but not the pace or workrate of Ayite.

AM: Cairney - didn’t realise he is now 28.  Probably my most liked opposition player in the league.  Sweet left foot...can pass through the eye of a needle.  With McDonald and Johansen they make as good a middle 3 as you get (inc Wolves)

LF: Sessegnon - Fulham’s own LBeho might be better playing advanced.  This boy is Premier-bound, possibly with Fulham.  Of the 15 games he’s played from LF....he’s got 10 goals.  Hope he’s playing LB.

CF: Mitrovic - fiery ex-Toon striker.  Good back to goal, ball at his feet, but also a strong presence for crossed balls either along the floor or in the air.  Good mover and finisher inside the box....but not mobile.  Like Lasoggo, need to keep him outside the 18 yard box.

Others who might start:

CM: Norwood - good player, very good set-pieces.  A player who I think would do well in City’s team.

Can’t see Odoi or Kamara (Bailey’s mate) starting tomorrow.

Tactics:

Well we know they pass and pass, but have added goals / clinical finishing to their game.  The form team.  Like to get their wide forwards in behind your full-backs.

How do we beat them:

I’m not sure whether we match them up or try to play our game, and use our strengths to exploit their weaknesses.  Sounds like Brownhill is fit, so I think he’ll partner Smith in CM.  Having thought some more tonight I think I’d go:

Fielding;

Wright, Flint, Baker, Magnússon;

Kent, Brownhill, Smith, Bryan;

Paterson;

Reid;

No Diedhiou you may ask? I think he needs to be an impact player tomorrow, 20-30 minutes.  We are gonna spend time without the ball, and I’d rather have Reid and Pato closing down that Famara.  Pato owes us a performance. We will have a physical presence from Mags throw-ins.

Without the ball, Pato can either make the 5 in midfield, or it could be a more 433 with Brownhill, Smith and Bryan being a narrow 3.

If Brownhill not fit, then Walsh comes in.

Walsh & Kent starting would be a worry for me especially up against Sessegnon on that side. Bailey Wright could have his work cut out for him at right back!

Without Pack & Brownhill, we suddenly look very light in midfield, as all the experienced options (GO'N & Hegeler) are injured. You could move Bryan central & Walsh out on the left, but I can't see LJ doing that.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Okay, so since I’ve started these, Derby, Sunderland and Leeds, what results have they produced? 0-0, 3-3 and 2-2.

Guessing we’d like a win tomorrow, so hoping past performance is no guide to future performance. 

Below is the Fulham side from Saturday’s 2-0 home win v Villa.  The GK and back 4 was the same v Bolton away (1-1)

27C86F26-85DF-4A36-8FAB-ED5EB44D193A.jpeg.a273f2b37bf4d4ed04fda2813615cfc5.jpeg

GK: Bettinelli - supposedly a summer target for us.  For me he’s on a list that I think is erratic (Camp and Wiedwald in previous games).  In fairness he’s the ‘shot stopper’ type, but not a great handler from a tech perspective.

RB: Fredericks - and as fast as his namesake Frankie.  I’m probably one of the few on here who thought he did ok for us (and I loved Little).  He was made for Cotts’s 352, but glass chin if rumour is true.  He can hurt us tomorrow, if we allow him to link up with Ayite or Piazon.

LB: Targett - Southampton loanee.  Tidy as left backs go, and we’ll suited to Fulham’s pass and move.  Not the greatest defensively.

CB: Ream - Ex-Bolton.  Not someone who’s ever been on my radar for anything other than being average.  Watch him have a blinder tomorrow!

CB: Kalas - Chelsea loanee. Not really seen much of him to add anything of note.

CM: McDonald - a very underrated player who will want to get on the ball and dictate play.  Good off either foot, and can keep it simple.  Potential for lack of discipline in his play if really pressured or not having it his own way.

CM: Johansen - alongside McD, he is the more box-to-box, great energy, lovely on the ball.  Would get more plaudits if Cairney wasn’t there.

RF: Ayite - explosive wide man who is not your typical ‘press his head down and watch him run".  He is more a give it and go wideman that fits Fulham’s passers, and will undoubtedly look to get in round the back for balls in behind our LB (or RB if he plays left....especially against Bailey).  Might play Piazon away from home, who’s more of a right midfielder.  Technically very good, but not the pace or workrate of Ayite.

AM: Cairney - didn’t realise he is now 28.  Probably my most liked opposition player in the league.  Sweet left foot...can pass through the eye of a needle.  With McDonald and Johansen they make as good a middle 3 as you get (inc Wolves)

LF: Sessegnon - Fulham’s own LBeho might be better playing advanced.  This boy is Premier-bound, possibly with Fulham.  Of the 15 games he’s played from LF....he’s got 10 goals.  Hope he’s playing LB.

CF: Mitrovic - fiery ex-Toon striker.  Good back to goal, ball at his feet, but also a strong presence for crossed balls either along the floor or in the air.  Good mover and finisher inside the box....but not mobile.  Like Lasoggo, need to keep him outside the 18 yard box.

Others who might start:

CM: Norwood - good player, very good set-pieces.  A player who I think would do well in City’s team.

Can’t see Odoi or Kamara (Bailey’s mate) starting tomorrow.

Tactics:

Well we know they pass and pass, but have added goals / clinical finishing to their game.  The form team.  Like to get their wide forwards in behind your full-backs.

How do we beat them:

I’m not sure whether we match them up or try to play our game, and use our strengths to exploit their weaknesses.  Sounds like Brownhill is fit, so I think he’ll partner Smith in CM.  Having thought some more tonight I think I’d go:

Fielding;

Wright, Flint, Baker, Magnússon;

Kent, Brownhill, Smith, Bryan;

Paterson;

Reid;

No Diedhiou you may ask? I think he needs to be an impact player tomorrow, 20-30 minutes.  We are gonna spend time without the ball, and I’d rather have Reid and Pato closing down that Famara.  Pato owes us a performance. We will have a physical presence from Mags throw-ins.

Without the ball, Pato can either make the 5 in midfield, or it could be a more 433 with Brownhill, Smith and Bryan being a narrow 3.

If Brownhill not fit, then Walsh comes in.

My worry is...........Wright, Kent v Sessegnon...

Accident waiting to happen...

20 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Don’t worry about Wright, he’s played against Sane and Martial this season. Sessegnon isn’t on their level...yet! 

If Brownhills injured, id put Kent right mid, have Bryan and Smith in the middle and Paterson on the left. 

Bryan looked decent in centre midfield the couple of times he’s played there & got a good leap on him so hopefully wins just as many headers as Pack does when he’s in there. 

Famara & Reid up top. They work well together. 

58 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Good analysis. How I wish we’d shipped Little off to Fulham and kept Fredericks! He’s a class act. 

A real, real test of our mettle tonight. They’re a superb side in excellent form and will be brimming with confidence. 

Yes a good side in great form but this league throws up the unexpected regularly .and all these top teams will  have their slip ups ( Villa , Derby currently ) .  City to win 

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Don’t worry about Wright, he’s played against Sane and Martial this season. Sessegnon isn’t on their level...yet! 

If Brownhills injured, id put Kent right mid, have Bryan and Smith in the middle and Paterson on the left. 

Bryan looked decent in centre midfield the couple of times he’s played there & got a good leap on him so hopefully wins just as many headers as Pack does when he’s in there. 

All good points. I really struggled to pick a side I was truly happy with. In other posts I had Walsh starting, keeping Briwnhill on RM. probably ended up compromising what I would pick with what LJ might pick. 

But LJ rarely picks what I would!!!!

Good analysis Dave. That Fulham side is a bit scary, quality all over the pitch.

I’d be very surprised if Johnson drops Diedhiou though after his goal scoring and good form recently. I can see your reasoning though.

Wouldn’t surprise me if there is a shock inclusion today though, someone Fulham wouldn’t have planned for necessarily.. Eliasson perhaps.

Really can't call tonight Dave. However my instinct tells me a draw or loss. Fulham are strong and getting stronger. I think we've lost our way a little. More down to injuries, suspensions and tiredness than way of playing. Should be a good game though, two excellent footballing sides. Really looking forward to it. Unlike the Cardiff game :laugh:

For the first time the League table is imo showing signs of how it might pan out come the end of the season.

Wolves, Villa, Cardiff, Derby, Fulham all strong top 5.

6th place being fought over by us, Sheff Utd, Brentford, Boro and Preston. I think we'll end up either 6th to10th...only 3 points in it.

Points obviously show positions but GD traditionally shows how a team is doing.

Worth looking at. http://www.livescores.com/soccer/england/championship/

What a great league this is...so many could go up. So many could go down. Never boring and some good football being played.

7 minutes ago, shelts said:

Gotta win

Feels like that but not really. 42 points up for grabs between now and the end of the season. I’d rather draw tonight and beat Cardiff than the other way round. 

(Obviously I want us to win every game!) but Fulham are a quality side and a draw would be a point earned IMO. 

8 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Walsh & Kent starting would be a worry for me especially up against Sessegnon on that side. Bailey Wright could have his work cut out for him at right back!

Without Pack & Brownhill, we suddenly look very light in midfield, as all the experienced options (GO'N & Hegeler) are injured. You could move Bryan central & Walsh out on the left, but I can't see LJ doing that.

This is going to be one hell of a tough game with their front 4. 

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Really can't call tonight Dave. However my instinct tells me a draw or loss. Fulham are strong and getting stronger. I think we've lost our way a little. More down to injuries, suspensions and tiredness than way of playing. Should be a good game though, two excellent footballing sides. Really looking forward to it. Unlike the Cardiff game :laugh:

For the first time the League table is imo showing signs of how it might pan out come the end of the season.

Wolves, Villa, Cardiff, Derby, Fulham all strong top 5.

6th place being fought over by us, Sheff Utd, Brentford, Boro and Preston. I think we'll end up either 6th to10th...only 3 points in it.

Points obviously show positions but GD traditionally shows how a team is doing.

Worth looking at. http://www.livescores.com/soccer/england/championship/

What a great league this is...so many could go up. So many could go down. Never boring and some good football being played.

It really is a fascinating and compelling league. Whilst I want us to achieve promotion as much as the next man, I’ve loved every minute of this season.

The Championship is a superb league for a supporter. 

Like you really looking forward to the match up of two teams trying to play the right way. 

18 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It really is a fascinating and compelling league. Whilst I want us to achieve promotion as much as the next man, I’ve loved every minute of this season.

The Championship is a superb league for a supporter. 

Like you really looking forward to the match up of two teams trying to play the right way. 

Concur with your thoughts mate...regardless of where we end up in the league, it's been a fantastic season, even with a lot to still play for.

I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Played way above what I had expected, and if it wasn't for injuries we may have been even further up the table. Been unlucky in that department imo.

38 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Depends who the next man is, I guess!

its been a great season so far tho, you’re right. We’ve played some scintillating football at times and irrespective of where we finally finish we’ve made great progress. 

COYR

11 minutes ago, Olé said:

Huddersfield went up with -2. Always believe :thumbsup:

Yes you always get a couple teams that go against the guide mate, but it generally gives you a better view of how it's panning out. Could easily go to the last game of the season for that last spot.

Football wise I really do think they are (along with Wolves) as good a side as there is in the division.

For us to get a result we will have to play well (and defend better) for longer than in recent games and much as I would like to be optimistic of that, I can’t be.

Baker returning is a big plus, like you @Davefevs I would like to see Magnússon stay in with Bryan playing further forward, but I still don’t expect to see it.

Personally I would keep Diedhiou in, for several reasons, we need as many likely goalscorers in the side as possible (as on current form we only have 3), plus Paterson is so off form he doesn’t justify a place.

Shame O’Neil isn’t considered fit enough for tonight, as particularly with Pack banned I think he could have been useful.

I would go;

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon 

Brownhill Smith Walsh Bryan

Reid

Diedhiou

Expect Kent and Paterson will start in place of Maggers and Walsh, though.

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Fortunately Brownhill's fit...

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

All good points. I really struggled to pick a side I was truly happy with. In other posts I had Walsh starting, keeping Briwnhill on RM. probably ended up compromising what I would pick with what LJ might pick. 

But LJ rarely picks what I would!!!!

I'd like to see an alternate universe where you were the City coach.

Good thread again - if it was me I'd drop Patterson for a few games, his form has reached an all time low for us and he needs a break.  Unless playing behind Reid would see him find himself again.

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I'd like to see an alternate universe where you were the City coach.

Good thread again - if it was me I'd drop Patterson for a few games, his form has reached an all time low for us and he needs a break.  Unless playing behind Reid would see him find himself again.

DaveFevs Out ! 

:protest:

Sorry , posted on the wrong universe.

Tonight's game is a real test, and with the form both teams are in I can't see us getting any more than a draw. I'd go with  the starting 11 identified by @Davefevs - it would be interesting to see Pato behind Reid again, although dropping Diedhiou is harsh seeing as his goals tally since returning from injury has been good.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Football wise I really do think they are (along with Wolves) as good a side as there is in the division.

For us to get a result we will have to play well (and defend better) for longer than in recent games and much as I would like to be optimistic of that, I can’t be.

Baker returning is a big plus, like you @Davefevs I would like to see Magnússon stay in with Bryan playing further forward, but I still don’t expect to see it.

Personally I would keep Diedhiou in, for several reasons, we need as many likely goalscorers in the side as possible (as on current form we only have 3), plus Paterson is so off form he doesn’t justify a place.

Shame O’Neil isn’t considered fit enough for tonight, as particularly with Pack banned I think he could have been useful.

I would go;

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon 

Brownhill Smith Walsh Bryan

Reid

Diedhiou

Expect Kent and Paterson will start in place of Maggers and Walsh, though.

Graham - that is probably the side I would pick for any other game (fitness and suspension excepted), I just worry about Fulham and  Diedhiou doing needless doggies...and tiring. Unless you say, give me 55-60 at 100% and that’s all. Very much in favour of Walsh starting and keeping Brownhill on the right.

Also happy that we have option to unleash 3 of Diony, Engvall, Paterson or Kent in final 30. 

Archived