IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Fulham FC Match Day Thread 33

Septic Peg

Good afternoon City fans!

It's a mild day in BS3 and an evening kick off under the lights at AG.

Tonight's opponents are Fulham, converging en masse from the M4 corridor. As the parent club of Cauley Woodrow, it's suggested as part of his loan deal, he won't be playing tonight. City fans breathe a sigh of relief collectively.

Sadly, Mr Marlon 'Mesmerising' Pack will be joining Cauley in the stands as he's been a naughty boy far too many times this season so far and he's in timeout. 

But enough about that.

I'm gonna dig open the history books and discuss Fulham's ex chairman and ex owner Mohamed al Fayed...

What's the first thing you think of when I mention his name? Chances are it'll be one of the following; Princess Di (RIP), Harrods, Michael Jackson or Fulham. That just shows how varied the fella is...

Al Fayed took over Fulham in 1997 in a deal worth £6.25m. At the time, he owned Harrods the super posh department store that once sold real life Lion cubs (no, I'm not joking).

He had lived in London since the 60s and felt some affinity to the idea of taking the club (in 1997, they were a Div 2/League 1 team) and making them into a Premiership team within 5 years. He did it in 4. I'm sure our own Sir Steve has taken similar ideas from this model and adapted them to our own attempt at Prem success.

In 1999, Michael Jackson attended a game at Fulham's home ground, Craven Cottage, against Wigan. A close friend of al Fayed, a statue of him was placed outside the ground in 2011, 2 years after Jacko passed away. It was originally meant to be placed in Harrods but al Fayed had sold the store in 2010. When al Fayed sold Fulham in 2013, the statue was removed by the new owners and returned to al Fayed. Upon the club's relegation to the Championship in 2014, al Fayed claimed that the statue removal had caused this 'bad luck'. They had been in the Prem for 13 consecutive seasons and since the relegation, they haven't been back. Perhaps Mo had a point.

So all in all, the glory days for Fulham came under al Fayed. Now in the play off positions with us, could this be a year for them or will they be thwarted yet again?

A boring 1-1 I'm predicting. Flint to score.

Behave Mr Baker.

Come on you reds.

What a game tonight, massive importance for just the one match - a home win and City will be firing again.  If we lose then I have the fear we will soon start dropping down the league table like a lead balloon.  Even Millwall are slowly gaining ground on us.

Can't wait to get down the Gate and sample what should be a roaring atmosphere. 

Scream the boys onto a massive win.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'm very disappointed with the last two results. We screwed it at the time we had the possibility to break back. A 0-3 loss are on the cards although I hope I'm wrong. The mental weakness of our central midfield is costing us. A pity O'Neill with his PL experience turned out to be a passanger. Protecting the Diedhiou investment rather than playing Bobby as nr 9 & 10 also cost us.     

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Good afternoon City fans!

It's a mild day in BS3 and an evening kick off under the lights at AG.

Tonight's opponents are Fulham, converging en masse from the M4 corridor. As the parent club of Cauley Woodrow, it's suggested as part of his loan deal, he won't be playing tonight. City fans breathe a sigh of relief collectively.

Sadly, Mr Marlon 'Mesmerising' Pack will be joining Cauley in the stands as he's been a naughty boy far too many times this season so far and he's in timeout. 

But enough about that.

I'm gonna dig open the history books and discuss Fulham's ex chairman and ex owner Mohamed al Fayed...

What's the first thing you think of when I mention his name? Chances are it'll be one of the following; Princess Di (RIP), Harrods, Michael Jackson or Fulham. That just shows how varied the fella is...

Al Fayed took over Fulham in 1997 in a deal worth £6.25m. At the time, he owned Harrods the super posh department store that once sold real life Lion cubs (no, I'm not joking).

He had lived in London since the 60s and felt some affinity to the idea of taking the club (in 1997, they were a Div 2/League 1 team) and making them into a Premiership team within 5 years. He did it in 4. I'm sure our own Sir Steve has taken similar ideas from this model and adapted them to our own attempt at Prem success.

In 1999, Michael Jackson attended a game at Fulham's home ground, Craven Cottage, against Wigan. A close friend of al Fayed, a statue of him was placed outside the ground in 2011, 2 years after Jacko passed away. It was originally meant to be placed in Harrods but al Fayed had sold the store in 2010. When al Fayed sold Fulham in 2013, the statue was removed by the new owners and returned to al Fayed. Upon the club's relegation to the Championship in 2014, al Fayed claimed that the statue removal had caused this 'bad luck'. They had been in the Prem for 13 consecutive seasons and since the relegation, they haven't been back. Perhaps Mo had a point.

So all in all, the glory days for Fulham came under al Fayed. Now in the play off positions with us, could this be a year for them or will they be thwarted yet again?

A boring 1-1 I'm predicting. Flint to score.

Behave Mr Baker.

Come on you reds.

If Jackson was the cause of Fulham's demise , I suggest we put back our statue of international pop star Adge Cutler .

12 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I'm very disappointed with the last two results. We screwed it at the time we had the possibility to break back. A 0-3 loss are on the cards although I hope I'm wrong. The mental weakness of our central midfield is costing us. A pity O'Neill with his PL experience turned out to be a passanger. Protecting the Diedhiou investment rather than playing Bobby as nr 9 & 10 also cost us.     

If Baker was playing Sunderland and Leeds we have won those game, my way of thinking. Oneil have only played a few games fot us as he came. Dissapointing the two lasts results but we have scored 5 and played good football. All and all we still are in the race and I think we have a good chance to beat Fulham. Marlon will be missing, Interesting to see how our midfield will be. Always believe, COYR!!!

I think playing 451 away from home worked wonders because it stopped their 3 man midfield. Wonder what the plan will be this time with Famara now back and playing well. Hope (once again) to see Eliasson feature as haven't been impressed with Kent bar first 45 vs Sunderland.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

433 surely. 

Fielding

Wright flint Baker mags

Smith

Brownhill Reid 

Kent.                     Paterson

Diedhiou

I'm thinking otherwise 532 like wolves at home with mags left wing back. But can't think who plays alongside smith in middle with Brownhill with back. Strange one. 

There is no way our top scorer will be playing in central midfield

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Diedhiou is our in form goal scorer. Reid has not been getting many chances over the last 10 games (roughly). In that position he can drift in box and score goals. If it is 424 with those 2 forwards in Pato and Kent on the wings then Johnson has lost it. Fulham will destroy us. Good luck mags in that system with Pato or Kent and no bryan. 

Despite scoring in his last match? Would argue that that side wouldn't press at all in the same way as our current one and is effectively tearing up the ethos that got us so far to begin with. Reid is so important to how we play.

Archived