IGNORED

Diedhiou

Red Army 75

2 minutes ago, ark_at_ee_mind said:

Was surprised he was subbed, thought he played really well - surely he's match fit enough to last the 90 now?!

Would've liked him to stay on and Patterson, who I hardly noticed was playing, to have come off instead.

Don’t think he’s quite there yet and think LJ had an eye on Cardiff where we’ll need to be more physical. 

3 minutes ago, ark_at_ee_mind said:

Was surprised he was subbed, thought he played really well - surely he's match fit enough to last the 90 now?!

Would've liked him to stay on and Patterson, who I hardly noticed was playing, to have come off instead.

Paterson's lost the plot. Can't remember the last time he did anything significant in a game

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Paterson's lost the plot. Can't remember the last time he did anything significant in a game

Well he significantly let their winger come into a more dangerous position to cross for their goal.... Does that count? I thought he should've come off for Joe. Thought Magners had a good game.

Diedhiou’s fitness improving each game.  I was very tempted to rest him tonight, but he gained another 15 minutes fitness to get 80 under his belt tonight.

There were a couple of class moments tonight, get it into chest under pressure, hold it, muscle defender, spin and lay off / incisive pass.  Won his headers too.

I have always been concerned that he had, in my view, never stood up to the price tag. Never said he was not decent, just that the price and his general game was not a 5 million performer. 

Tonight I also thought that was the best game he had in our shirt and looked the part. Plenty more of that please :clap:

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Diedhiou’s fitness improving each game.  I was very tempted to rest him tonight, but he gained another 15 minutes fitness to get 80 under his belt tonight.

There were a couple of class moments tonight, get it into chest under pressure, hold it, muscle defender, spin and lay off / incisive pass.  Won his headers too.

Alright lee :fear:

47 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

That run to track back for a Fulham counter attack in the latter stages summed him up for me, he was obviously shattered but he sprinted 80 metres to stop them scoring, clas

Great spot mate.

He is a team player, he set up colleagues several times last night with superb link play.

Judging by his body language you can tell how much Bobby appreciates what he does.

I think because of our club’s history a lot of Bristol City fans are somewhat ‘easily pleased’ - myself included. Diedhiou is a striker who cost around £5m was it? And I think he IS a £5m striker, but at this level, £5m gets you a physically strong forward, who puts himself about and tries his heart out while scoring a few goals...so we have got what we paid for in my opinion.

But I can’t forget the (at least) two occasions last night when Fammy was on the ball under no pressure and just wellied the ball at Ryan Kent’s throat...no composure.

I like Fammy, he gives everything, has settled quite quickly, has scored some goals and gives us a physical presence up front that we needed badly.

But you get what you pay for....we’ve got a £5m striker, with all the limitations which that entails in the modern world of crazy transfer fees.

Some descriptions of his performances (“superb” etc) are a bit off the mark in my opinion....

Him and bobby are a perfect partnership. If we can keep them both then that’s who the team should be built around next season, not that it needs much building but a few tweaks here and there. Fam is an overall better striker than Kodjia in my opinion and I don’t know why but I get a good feeling he’s here for a long time... 

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think because of our club’s history a lot of Bristol City fans are somewhat ‘easily pleased’ - myself included. Diedhiou is a striker who cost around £5m was it? And I think he IS a £5m striker, but at this level, £5m gets you a physically strong forward, who puts himself about and tries his heart out while scoring a few goals...so we have got what we paid for in my opinion.

But I can’t forget the (at least) two occasions last night when Fammy was on the ball under no pressure and just wellied the ball at Ryan Kent’s throat...no composure.

I like Fammy, he gives everything, has settled quite quickly, has scored some goals and gives us a physical presence up front that we needed badly.

But you get what you pay for....we’ve got a £5m striker, with all the limitations which that entails in the modern world of crazy transfer fees.

Some descriptions of his performances (“superb” etc) are a bit off the mark in my opinion....

The game is so quick at times, and you’ll know from watching a lovely passing team like Fulham struggle against our press that passes go astray, are over or underhit.  And that includes the cultured left peg of Cairney who gave the ball away several times...although there were some sublime touches too.  Just like Famara.  We purred over Pack’s reverse pass to Bryan v Man Utd, Diedhiou made a similar one with his wrong foot to set Kent (I think) Free in the second half.

Valuation is always gonna be subjective.  Although you can say "£5m gets you a physically strong forward, who puts himself about and tries his heart out while scoring a few goals", I think that’s a bit unfair....

£6m gets you one (Madine) that scores less :whistle:

Having seen a fair bit of Diedhiou (clips and highlights of Angers)I thought he’d be a good fit here, but I saw him not being an out and out goalscorer, but who’d chip in, but contribute more to our overall team ethic.  I estimated 12/13 from a 40 game season.  I thought at £5m in today’s market that was about the going rate, perhaps we paid a bit more than I hoped because of the Kodjia / Angers "previous"!  To have got 10 in 19 starts (4 sub), and only completed 5 full 90 minutes I think is a fantastic record.  If you think he had 4 or 5 ‘adjustment’ matches at the start and another 2 or 3 from injury, it makes his record even better.

Without injury there’s a very good chance he’d be near 20, or maybe Reid would be due to more closer marking of Diedhiou.

I do think he’s one of those players that needs to be near 100% to see him at full flight...last night was close.  He was 8/10 for me last night.

One of those passes to Kent was crap though!

29 minutes ago, Negan said:

Him and bobby are a perfect partnership. If we can keep them both then that’s who the team should be built around next season, not that it needs much building but a few tweaks here and there. Fam is an overall better striker than Kodjia in my opinion and I don’t know why but I get a good feeling he’s here for a long time... 

That’s an interesting point.  Most teams spend each summer trying to find a 15-20 goal striker...and that can take a big proportion of the transfer budget, and wages that come with it.  We have two in reality.  That might mean we can look in other positions, e.g. GK.  We ought to really focus here.  Fielding and Steele are ok, but I think a real top notch keeper would be a good investment.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Valuation is always gonna be subjective.  Although you can say "£5m gets you a physically strong forward, who puts himself about and tries his heart out while scoring a few goals", I think that’s a bit unfair....

£6m gets you one (Madine) that scores less :whistle:

Yet Madine has scored more goals in his career than Fammy and they ain’t that far apart in age...

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yet Madine has scored more goals in his career than Fammy and they ain’t that far apart in age...

...and at this level at a seriously worse goals per game ratio.  I think Madine is a good player....posted several times as such, but I’d take Diedhiou every day of the week.

I can’t believe you of all people can be so unpedantic re age.....Fammy just 25, Madine 27 :P

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

...and at this level at a seriously worse goals per game ratio.  I think Madine is a good player....posted several times as such, but I’d take Diedhiou every day of the week...

Heh? You are seriously comparing goals per game ratios at this level between a guy who’s played nearly 200 championship games vs a guy who’s played less than 20?!

Presumably you think Sam Allardyce is the most successful England manager ever with his 100% win record?!!

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Heh? You are seriously comparing goals per game ratios at this level between a guy who’s played nearly 200 championship games vs a guy who’s played less than 20?!

Presumably you think Sam Allardyce is the most successful England manager ever with his 100% win record?!!

You started it by saying he’d scored more goals :P

Archived