IGNORED

The megaphone

Stortz

11 hours ago, Stortz said:

Fair play if it floats the boat of others. I was cringing myself inside out, but to each their own.

I didn't enjoy the psuedo samba band drumming either tbh, maybe I am a miserable git!

I'm not sure many would feel it cringeworthy, but that is a personal response. Cringeworthy would be that bloke orchestrating the Johnson coat song!! The megaphone produced a more pro-City batch of songs, for me last night. As others have pointed out there were far less anti-Gas songs. I'd like the songs to be nearly all about City, tbf, maybe one or two about the Sags if they've done something idiotic again.

The samba drumming was only on the Magnússon song, iirc. Presumably it's to be a break from the metronome drumming to the other songs. Don't think he was attempting to be samba. The megaphone and drum do tend to spur people on to sing more and longer so they're probably a good thing overall if we wanna support the lads.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The guys who started the song towards the end started it and then the drummer and megaphone guy picked up on it, and got it across the whole section quickly.

I enjoyed the funky drumming too and if that was spontaneous then fair play. The current drummer has far more about him than the previous incumbent from a few seasons ago. Whatever happened to that lad? Gardening accident perhaps?

4 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

I'm not sure many would feel it cringeworthy, but that is a personal response. Cringeworthy would be that bloke orchestrating the Johnson coat song!! The megaphone produced a more pro-City batch of songs, for me last night. As others have pointed out there were far less anti-Gas songs. I'd like the songs to be nearly all about City, tbf, maybe one or two about the Sags if they've done something idiotic again.

The samba drumming was only on the Magnússon song, iirc. Presumably it's to be a break from the metronome drumming to the other songs. Don't think he was attempting to be samba. The megaphone and drum do tend to spur people on to sing more and longer so they're probably a good thing overall if we wanna support the lads.

What do you mean “if”they do something idiotic again,you mean “when”.

6 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

What do you mean “if”they do something idiotic again,you mean “when”.

I think that was implicit in what I wrote, tbf. The use of the subordinating conjunction 'if' was a deviation from the expected conjunction 'when', implying the certainty that it'll happen but, contextually, leaving it open to the exact weekend(s) that it will occur.

There, sorted. Plus, I really did know what I meant.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Modern football in England is quiet stadiums where you can hear the players talking. The Sunderland game is a great example of that. You can't then try and label the people who are trying to change that with that tag. 

It isn't even a modern idea. Drums and megaphones have been common place in virtually every country bar this one for decades. If it puts you at ease, the spontaneousness isn't gone. The guys who started the song towards the end started it and then the drummer and megaphone guy picked up on it, and got it across the whole section quickly. They then helped keep it going to avoid the dreaded rule of 2*.

*Rule of 2: The really annoying habit where Bristol City fans only sing a chant twice through with incredible reliability. Particularly 'Come on you Reds' and 'Ole Ole Ole Ole Bristol City'

Can't like this post enough :clap:

36 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

Well said. Last night was one of the best league atmospheres in my opinion, and as someone sat in the vicinity, I would definitely say the megaphone and drum helped generate the majority of this.

No surprise to come on OTIB and find people moaning about it though, same old City fans.

11 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I dislike the idea of having someone on a megaphone because it's a step towards it all being orchestrated.

One of the things that makes an atmosphere so great here is spontaneity.

Still plenty of room for spontaneity, this just fills some of the gaps when it might either be quiet or just anti gas songs.

Even if it is slightly orchestrated the crowd as a whole will take over and chant whenever they like at the exciting moments when everyone becomes involved.

Everyone around me was smiling and the Megaphone Man and the resulting atmosphere definitely enhanced my enjoyment of the evening and I hope it continues.

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Was it by any chance @EnclosureSurge ?

Sounded like him to me far away amongst the fogeys in the Dolman..

This fellow? I think I'd draw the line if he starts doing Je T'aime with accompanying heavy breathing. :blink:

1 hour ago, Huntstile Red said:

I think that was implicit in what I wrote, tbf. The use of the subordinating conjunction 'if' was a deviation from the expected conjunction 'when', implying the certainty that it'll happen but, contextually, leaving it open to the exact weekend(s) that it will occur.

There, sorted. Plus, I really did know what I meant.

Thanks for the English lesson,we’ll leave it there,before it becomes a point scoring contest.

I'd quite like to see those plastic clappy hands.  And tin whistles too.  Also, they could leave a party popper on all the seats for when we score.  Imagine the sound of 20K plus party poppers all going off in unison.  I wonder what the world record is??

I think we have two disparate groups within the AG crowd on this:

1. That is open to new ideas and broadly speaking anything that might create a noisier ground, and more support and encouragement for the team. Basically, this lot will be enthusiastic, given a chance. And the other lot, group

2. An arms-folded, slightly sour looking, quick-to-anger-slow-to-praise, very definitely uneasy with songs and supporting that might look remotely enthusiastic (or involve being, and therefore, looking, enthusiastic). Enthusiasm to this group is anathema.  They will consider new things like megaphones as un-Anglo Saxon, and a little too swarthy and Mediterranean/continental/foreign. And not what atmosphere was like in 1978, or 1984, so therefore "cringeworthy." And a bit too "Crystal Palace."

Group 1 will sing the anti-Rovers stuff (it's better than silence) but really want to be backing the players (even at times when they are struggling), while Group 2 will back the players (when they are winning/delivering) but are most comfortable with anti-Rovers songs or chants, or anti-anyone songs/chants that involve calling someone/anyone a c***.

23 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

1. That is open to new ideas and broadly speaking anything that might create a noisier ground, and more support and encouragement for the team. Basically, this lot will be enthusiastic, given a chance. And the other lot, group

2. An arms-folded, slightly sour looking, quick-to-anger-slow-to-praise, very definitely uneasy with songs and supporting that might look remotely enthusiastic (or involve being, and therefore, looking, enthusiastic). Enthusiasm to this group is anathema.  They will consider new things like megaphones as un-Anglo Saxon, and a little too swarthy and Mediterranean/continental/foreign. And not what atmosphere was like in 1978, or 1984, so therefore "cringeworthy." And a bit too "Crystal Palace."

Group 1 will sing the anti-Rovers stuff (it's better than silence) but really want to be backing the players (even at times when they are struggling), while Group 2 will back the players (when they are winning/delivering) but are most comfortable with anti-Rovers songs or chants, or anti-anyone songs/chants that involve calling someone/anyone a c***.

Is it allowed to have your arms folded and enjoy the noise and new chants and methods of creating an atmosphere, whilst not singing along?  Cos I'm part of that group.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

It's a very very broad stroke and of course many exceptions, but actually quite accurate of our fanbase. 

Archived