IGNORED

The megaphone

Stortz

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm glad I didn't hear it then.

Oddly enough I thought the Dolman PA sounded the clearest it has in ages, I actually heard a few announcements, eg someone had come all the way from down under to see Bailey Wright play tonight!

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Oddly enough I thought the Dolman PA sounded the clearest it has in ages, I actually heard a few announcements, eg someone had come all the way from down under to see Bailey Wright play tonight!

Maybe its Robbored's hearing then!

Made it feel more European from the other side of the Dolman. Anything that improves the atmosphere and helps us emulate the better aspects of atmosphere in other football leagues is a big plus from me. Loved it. I think the S82 guys do an amazing job actually to give the fans a bit of identity and a general buzz.

41 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Thought it was good. Love things like that . Reminded of the bloke in the eastend. Good addition 

Loved him to bits. Always a place for drunkenly screaming Threshing Machine in to a noise amplifying device in Ashton Gate.

12 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Made it feel more European from the other side of the Dolman. Anything that improves the atmosphere and helps us emulate the better aspects of atmosphere in other football leagues is a big plus from me. Loved it. I think the S82 guys do an amazing job actually to give the fans a bit of identity and a general buzz.

Totally agree with the bold, they are great. I just don't like the megaphone- or samba drumming- personally.

It seems jarring in the football culture of this country to me (maybe it's an age thing), but i respect the opinion of others and it certainly appears that I am in the minority.

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I dislike the idea of having someone on a megaphone because it's a step towards it all being orchestrated.

One of the things that makes an atmosphere so great here is spontaneity.

I seriously don't understand this view. Having been to many matches in Europe the atmospheres are genuine and far above the English ones. Just because they add a bit of theatre and colour to their support doesn't detract at all. There is no difference between a guy banging on the wall of the stand and a drum. There is no difference between a guy with a megaphone and a guy with a big mouth.

On the other hand our organic atmosphere has been overwhelmingly dire for some time...

I thought the megaphone bloke was hilarious. Definitely added to the atmosphere and his efforts with the new samba song were highly amusing. A few tried to shout him down but he was having none of it. Definite hit as far as I’m concerned - the guy was great. 

I thought it sounded great, especially the samba song, made a refreshing change from singing about the Gas. People are saying it sounds forced, how can it be as if people didn’t like it it would have died a death. People joined in so it was a success. More please. 

1 hour ago, NOTBLUE said:

Wow ! Someone with a megaphone enjoying himself,what ever next,fair play I say.

Just for clarity, I never said people shouldn't enjoy themselves or that the atmosphere was shit, or that Ashton Gate should be silent. I just don't like megaphones or samba drumming personally. I can see most disagree from the ferocious binning I took haha.

It does make me laugh a bit though how people give it all the 'against modern football' shtick then are happy to have this, but again it's just my opinion and virtually no-one else agrees, so crack on mysterious megaphone man imo.

44 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Just for clarity, I never said people shouldn't enjoy themselves or that the atmosphere was shit, or that Ashton Gate should be silent. I just don't like megaphones or samba drumming personally. I can see most disagree from the ferocious binning I took haha.

It does make me laugh a bit though how people give it all the 'against modern football' shtick then are happy to have this, but again it's just my opinion and virtually no-one else agrees, so crack on mysterious megaphone man imo.

Wasn’t aimed at you personally,a few people around me didn’t like it either,and whilst I’m not the worlds greatest fan of said megaphone,the user seemed to be having a great time,live and let live and all that.

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Modern football in England is quiet stadiums where you can hear the players talking. The Sunderland game is a great example of that. You can't then try and label the people who are trying to change that with that tag. 

It isn't even a modern idea. Drums and megaphones have been common place in virtually every country bar this one for decades. If it puts you at ease, the spontaneousness isn't gone. The guys who started the song towards the end started it and then the drummer and megaphone guy picked up on it, and got it across the whole section quickly. They then helped keep it going to avoid the dreaded rule of 2*.

*Rule of 2: The really annoying habit where Bristol City fans only sing a chant twice through with incredible reliability. Particularly 'Come on you Reds' and 'Ole Ole Ole Ole Bristol City'

i thought it was absolutely brilliant and sounded fantastic.

whoever you are- keep it up.

how many times have i had to listen to "Is this a library" from the away fans this season? Not so last night and it got the Lansdown Stand ( the bit where I am at least) joining in  when usually its a bit quiet.

55 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Modern football in England is quiet stadiums where you can hear the players talking. The Sunderland game is a great example of that. You can't then try and label the people who are trying to change that with that tag. 

It isn't even a modern idea. Drums and megaphones have been common place in virtually every country bar this one for decades. If it puts you at ease, the spontaneousness isn't gone. The guys who started the song towards the end started it and then the drummer and megaphone guy picked up on it, and got it across the whole section quickly. They then helped keep it going to avoid the dreaded rule of 2*.

*Rule of 2: The really annoying habit where Bristol City fans only sing a chant twice through with incredible reliability. Particularly 'Come on you Reds' and 'Ole Ole Ole Ole Bristol City'

Fair enough, my understanding of the concept was slightly different. I don't need anything to put me at ease, thanks, I just don't like the megaphone. Everyone else does though, so cool, knock yourselves out!

Archived