IGNORED

Diony

BCFC OF SWEDEN

8 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I suspect that as soon as he scores- he'll be on fire. It's impossible not to see that he's got class but his confidence is just non existent and every striker thrives on confidence.

Reminds me of when Baldock couldn't score in a  brothel but when he eventually did he just couldn't stop. I hope and expect that Lee sticks with Diony- plenty of time left for him to come good.

How very balanced, and measured. You were so much more interesting and entertaining in your "awful" days....

My main concern with him is down to two things :

1) The obvious strangeness of a £9m price tag and then being allowed to go on loan only 6 months after signing. To me that sets off all kinds of alarm bells. 

2) Watching him in France he looks like an off the shoulder striker who likes to break the offside trap, issue with that is the Championship teams don't play a high line like many teams in France do. If you watch games in France it's far more common to see fast, counter attacking football due to the high line and strikers get in behind the line easier and that's not something you see as much in the Championship. 

I think the lad has determination, I think he'll work hard but I'm not sure if he'll ever be a £9m striker and I really hope we don't take that gamble because I don't see it paying off. 

Also, I see a lot of "he's not for now" comments, well if that's the case then when is he for? Reid offers more and is the same age, Diedhiou offers more and is the same age. Diony is here to the end of the season, then we either send him back or buy him, surely now is where he needs to show he is worth buying or we may aswell and him back. 

He's only just arrived, give him a chance. OTIB never fails to amaze me, how many times does a player get shot down on here, only for them to go on and become pretty decent?

If Sergio Aguero turned up to play for us and had a bad first game, OTIB would still go into meltdown, questioning LJ, the board and Agueros credentials as a City player... 

11 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Mainly because he stood on the ball and fell over on the half way line. 

1 hour ago, sephjnr said:

Without that he'd have been one-on-one, scoring what would likely have been the winner. 

It's all in the mind. I would be happy to speculate that without the thought of @sephjnr's post (and add "might miss"), the falling over doesn't happen. Massive task for LJ and his staff, with a mind (posibly) as frail as this.

1 hour ago, sephjnr said:

Without that he'd have been one-on-one, scoring what would likely have been the winner. People have been harsh here (especially with the Bas comparison), but that does stick out.

What was more egregious was the lob to Pato near the penalty spot - If Diedhiou hadn't cut it off that would have been a prime shooting chance.

That was a certain goal if left for Paterson - did Paterson not call for it, it was landing at his feet and would have been a easy volley / shot into a empty net - instead Famara jumps, plucks a awkward ball from the air that he could not really control with a defender on him, and the keeper in front. Really wasteful of a great cross (one of very few quality ones that actually had a target picked out all night).

1 hour ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

Must be great odds on that, lump on.

Because Diony scoring 3 on Sunday will not happen so don't waste your money.

40 minutes ago, CIDER NOT CIDRE said:

He's only just arrived, give him a chance. OTIB never fails to amaze me, how many times does a player get shot down on here, only for them to go on and become pretty decent?

If Sergio Aguero turned up to play for us and had a bad first game, OTIB would still go into meltdown, questioning LJ, the board and Agueros credentials as a City player... 

Saying a loanie has 'only just arrived' one month into a three and a half month loan is not very accurate. But the point is, and why people are moaning, is because bringing someone in short term should, or needs to, result in a faster impact than a long term permanent signing. Otherwise, in fairness, what is the point of a short term loan even if we have a buy clause. Moreover City were, and arguably now still are, short of impact strikers. This is not a criticism of Diony but our January transfer window really needed to be impactful simply because we were already into a slide and while I think it looks like it might be bottoming out we have all but lost 2nd spot. It was a one chance to back the squad up with 2 or 3 players who could elevate the narrow defeats to draws or draws to wins. All of that said it in no way detracts from the marvellous job the coaching team are doing. We should simply not be too disappointed if we continue to slide.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

My main concern with him is down to two things :

1) The obvious strangeness of a £9m price tag and then being allowed to go on loan only 6 months after signing. To me that sets off all kinds of alarm bells. 

2) Watching him in France he looks like an off the shoulder striker who likes to break the offside trap, issue with that is the Championship teams don't play a high line like many teams in France do. If you watch games in France it's far more common to see fast, counter attacking football due to the high line and strikers get in behind the line easier and that's not something you see as much in the Championship. 

I think the lad has determination, I think he'll work hard but I'm not sure if he'll ever be a £9m striker and I really hope we don't take that gamble because I don't see it paying off. 

Also, I see a lot of "he's not for now" comments, well if that's the case then when is he for? Reid offers more and is the same age, Diedhiou offers more and is the same age. Diony is here to the end of the season, then we either send him back or buy him, surely now is where he needs to show he is worth buying or we may aswell and him back. 

I think you're wrong with the ' he's not for now ' comments.

The concern was that we needed a boost , someone who could come in and have an immediate impact for the run in .

We got a guy who is not match fit , hasn't scored this season, hasn't played Championship football or , as far as I know , never lived in this country .

Not exactly what we were hoping for .

However , the club has been scouting Diony for some time until he became too expensive for our budget so it is not a knee jerk signing .He ticks all the boxes.

The club have done brilliantly to get a deal done for him but it may turn out to be right player wrong time , who knows ? 

If only he had arrived in the summer for a pre-season .

For my part I just think that Opportunity knocked and I mean that most sincerely.

2 hours ago, megansdad said:

Thought he added energy and muscle at an important time in the game. More impact than Woodrow vs Leeds and higher work rate. Useful for when Famara tires late in the game and his strength could be handy on Sunday

I had more impact than Woodrow at Leeds and I wasn't even in Yorkshire.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Because Diony scoring 3 on Sunday will not happen so don't waste your money.

Saying a loanie has 'only just arrived' one month into a three and a half month loan is not very accurate. But the point is, and why people are moaning, is because bringing someone in short term should, or needs to, result in a faster impact than a long term permanent signing. Otherwise, in fairness, what is the point of a short term loan even if we have a buy clause. Moreover City were, and arguably now still are, short of impact strikers. This is not a criticism of Diony but our January transfer window really needed to be impactful simply because we were already into a slide and while I think it looks like it might be bottoming out we have all but lost 2nd spot. It was a one chance to back the squad up with 2 or 3 players who could elevate the narrow defeats to draws or draws to wins. All of that said it in no way detracts from the marvellous job the coaching team are doing. We should simply not be too disappointed if we continue to slide.

47 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The concern was that we needed a boost , someone who could come in and have an immediate impact for the run in .

We got a guy who is not match fit , hasn't scored this season, hasn't played Championship football or , as far as I know , never lived in this country .

However , the club has been scouting Diony for some time until he became too expensive for our budget so it is not a knee jerk signing .He ticks all the boxes.

The club have done brilliantly to get a deal done for him but it may turn out to be right player wrong time , who knows ? 

For my part I just think that Opportunity knocked and I mean that most sincerely.

I understand the logic of what you're both saying but in fact its quite rare for a player to come in on loan and be 'ready to go'. The majority of the time the player is out on loan as they are not getting games at the parent club, so inevitably need some time to get up to speed. You have the exception (that proves the rule) of Grabban this year being available in January after playing the first half of the season for Sunderland, but his wages were astronomical. However most striker loans in the January window are going to be in the mould of Matt Smith for us in the 2014/15 season, who was miles off match fitness when he joined. Didn't stop him having a brilliant impact once he got up to speed. 

13 hours ago, Top Robin said:

People used to say that about Bobby.........players can improve you know

And Bryan, and Smith and Pack and Diedhiou (start of the season and on his comeback)!!

This is OTIB - you don't get given another chance to impress (by most on here) after you've had your first sub appearance....It all counts then.

10 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Thanks for that, Hughie, and I tend to agree that it is a shame he was not match fit when he arrived.

But, if he can recapture his Dijon form in the next few weeks....

His interview in the programme on Wednesday suggests he has been hugely damaged by his time at St Etienne. It verged on veing a bit odd to be honest. But clear he has absolutely no confidence and the people slating him on Wednesday (and the groans after he fell over, which can just happen sometimes) are not going to help him. He clearly has quality and, with a bit of vocal support from us and a first goal from him, can see him becoming a handful for the rest of the season. 

2 hours ago, windmillhillred said:

His interview in the programme on Wednesday suggests he has been hugely damaged by his time at St Etienne. It verged on veing a bit odd to be honest. But clear he has absolutely no confidence and the people slating him on Wednesday (and the groans after he fell over, which can just happen sometimes) are not going to help him. He clearly has quality and, with a bit of vocal support from us and a first goal from him, can see him becoming a handful for the rest of the season. 

He’s certainly no mug on the pitch.  You can see he’s got ability, strength...but it’s how we integrate him that will make it break his time here.

89th minute winner on Sunday would change opinion of done on here!  Imagine his scoring and doing the Scotty Murray run down the touchline.  Instant hero.

Archived