IGNORED

Bobby Reid

Red Army 75

He always had ability, but suffered with bad decision making, it held him back. He has found his role (well one LJ) and with playing consistently has just got better and better and is now far ahead of the crowd, he looks like he should be a league above.

I would think it will be hard to tie him down to a new contract unless it is a substantial one. Summer 2019 he is a free agent (though I guess that development fee thingy still is around) and so will save someone the millions it would cost to buy him now. He has to maximise his situation, and no one should begrudge him that. Pay him what we did Tomlin, and he is worth it, and he might sign on again. 

12 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

He always had ability, but suffered with bad decision making, it held him back. He has found his role (well one LJ) and with playing consistently has just got better and better and is now far ahead of the crowd, he looks like he should be a league above.

I would think it will be hard to tie him down to a new contract unless it is a substantial one. Summer 2019 he is a free agent (though I guess that development fee thingy still is around) and so will save someone the millions it would cost to buy him now. He has to maximise his situation, and no one should begrudge him that. Pay him what we did Tomlin, and he is worth it, and he might sign on again. 

Remember last season QPR away. He missed a sitter one on one. Remember he received some stick. Massive player. Better than Kodjia and Abraham in my view. 

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

Awesome last night, the improvement in him is just unbelievable.

Absolutely. ‘Young’ Booby Reid has grown up. One of the first names on the team sheet for me, never thought I would be saying that. 

15 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

In fairness £15m isn’t beyond the realms of possibility, it’s not like he said he was worth £50m is it?

You're right, it's not an entirely ridiculous notion, but football fans are notorious for over-valuing their players, as I think is the case here. You're entitled to think otherwise though mate.

23 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

You're right, it's not an entirely ridiculous notion, but football fans are notorious for over-valuing their players, as I think is the case here. You're entitled to think otherwise though mate.

Well when you compare what Villa paid for Kodjia & Hogan, I wouldn’t say that Reid is far off them if he is at all.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t expect us to be looking for anything north of £20m but we’re in a position where we are financially sound & progressing as a club & as Reid is one of our prized assets, we don’t need to let him go cheap & we no longer seem to be in a position where we allow players to leave on the cheap.

That being said, a lot will depend on what happens with his contract situation because we won’t allow his contract to run down to the stage where we are held to ransom by Reid or another club.

I get what you’re saying with regards to player values, people claiming that Flint & Bryan are worth £25m+ but Reid is a game changer & still young enough to improve, we would be a much weaker team without Reid.

20 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Well when you compare what Villa paid for Kodjia & Hogan, I wouldn’t say that Reid is far off them if he is at all.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t expect us to be looking for anything north of £20m but we’re in a position where we are financially sound & progressing as a club & as Reid is one of our prized assets, we don’t need to let him go cheap & we no longer seem to be in a position where we allow players to leave on the cheap.

That being said, a lot will depend on what happens with his contract situation because we won’t allow his contract to run down to the stage where we are held to ransom by Reid or another club.

I get what you’re saying with regards to player values, people claiming that Flint & Bryan are worth £25m+ but Reid is a game changer & still young enough to improve, we would be a much weaker team without Reid.

But at the time none of us could believe that Villa had just paid us 15m for Kodjia - it was a great deal for us. We can't assume teams are going to be willing to overpay on all future transfers. That's deluded.

I believe that Reid could well be worth 15m to us, as you say he's been sensational this year and quite frankly I hope we keep him and would be disappointed to see him go for anything less. 

I agree with all your comments around him, I just don't think any Prem team will take a punt on him yet (not established enough, 1 good breakthrough season as a striker), and I don't think any Championship team will be willing to pay near 15m for him.

Based on the above, I think it's ridiculous for anybody to state: he will be comfortably the club record sale, in excess of £15m, and I'm sure clubs are watching him and budgeting accordingly.

3 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

But at the time none of us could believe that Villa had just paid us 15m for Kodjia - it was a great deal for us. We can't assume teams are going to be willing to overpay on all future transfers. That's deluded.

I believe that Reid could well be worth 15m to us, as you say he's been sensational this year and quite frankly I hope we keep him and would be disappointed to see him go for anything less. 

I agree with all your comments around him, I just don't think any Prem team will take a punt on him yet (not established enough, 1 good breakthrough season as a striker), and I don't think any Championship team will be willing to pay near 15m for him.

Based on the above, I think it's ridiculous for anybody to state: he will be comfortably the club record sale, in excess of £15m, and I'm sure clubs are watching him and budgeting accordingly.

I don’t see any of our players being ‘stand outs’, enough so that they could perform consistently in The Premier League but was it 2 years ago that Villa seemingly overpaid for Kodjia & Hogan? They wanted to take players that had done it at this level & while the transfer fees were big for us & Brentford, the wages in comparison to getting someone for the same fee from The Premier League were probably considerably less. 

And Villa aren’t the only club to of thrown big money at individual deals, Sheffield Wednesday paid £10m for Rhodes, Middlesbrough spent £15m or so on Assombalonga & Wolves have numerous large fees.

Now fair enough Wolves will probably be up & Villa could join them but that still leaves plenty of money in The Championship & with the clubs to come down who are likely to have years of Premier League money, the likes of Southampton, Stoke & West Brom could all in affect be looking for new players with a healthy transfer budget available to them.

And while I know that we won’t sell to Championship rivals, that’s exactly where Villa were when they purchased Kodjia & if the money is right, we’ll sell.

12 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

Believe we have a year option this summer to tie him until summer 2019.  The terms of that extension were set during the contract negotiation and subsequent deal in summer 2016.  You would imagine that the terms are not hugely in Bobby’s favour, he wasn’t holding the aces back then.

The non-businessman in me would like to think that City won’t exercise that option...

....because they appreciate Bobby’s 1) loyalty 2) his outstanding performances this season and 3) his value to the team going forward.  He deserves a very decent deal.  Often ‘young’ players produced locally suffer on contracts deals.

Re compensation - that is only up to 24, so I think "young" Bobby is too old. 

54 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I don’t see any of our players being ‘stand outs’, enough so that they could perform consistently in The Premier League but was it 2 years ago that Villa seemingly overpaid for Kodjia & Hogan? They wanted to take players that had done it at this level & while the transfer fees were big for us & Brentford, the wages in comparison to getting someone for the same fee from The Premier League were probably considerably less. 

And Villa aren’t the only club to of thrown big money at individual deals, Sheffield Wednesday paid £10m for Rhodes, Middlesbrough spent £15m or so on Assombalonga & Wolves have numerous large fees.

Now fair enough Wolves will probably be up & Villa could join them but that still leaves plenty of money in The Championship & with the clubs to come down who are likely to have years of Premier League money, the likes of Southampton, Stoke & West Brom could all in affect be looking for new players with a healthy transfer budget available to them.

And while I know that we won’t sell to Championship rivals, that’s exactly where Villa were when they purchased Kodjia & if the money is right, we’ll sell.

Jordan Rhodes' Championship record is 95 goals in 207 games. That's a goal every 2.17 games. Overall his record is 175 in 358 (2.04).

He's consistently hit that level season after season, and he still has a few years left (I think he's 27/28?). 

Why would Reid definitely be valued at 15m if Rhodes is going for 10m?

19 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Jordan Rhodes' Championship record is 95 goals in 207 games. That's a goal every 2.17 games. Overall his record is 175 in 358 (2.04).

He's consistently hit that level season after season, and he still has a few years left (I think he's 27/28?). 

So can Jordan Rhodes drop into central midfield if we get a man sent off?  What's his work rate like? Or his ability to press?  Passing?  Assists?  

27 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

There was quite a clamour for Rhodes on here was it last winter....

8 minutes ago, The Bard said:

So can Jordan Rhodes drop into central midfield if we get a man sent off?  What's his work rate like? Or his ability to press?  Passing?  Assists?  

....I think these are good reasons why he wouldn’t have been a good signing (not at the fee or wages that would’ve gone with it)...my opinion only.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Reid is better than Rhodes. He does so much more than just score goals. Last night he was unplayable. He's better deeper as he gets the ball more and is more involved. And he still found himself in great goalscoring positions. God I hope he signs a new deal.

He will.

22 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Strange post. If you compared any of the previous 7 seasons, Rhodes may actually surpass Reid in passing & assists, considering he actually played consistently.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Reid is better than Rhodes. He does so much more than just score goals. Last night he was unplayable. He's better deeper as he gets the ball more and is more involved. And he still found himself in great goalscoring positions. God I hope he signs a new deal.

Fair play, after 6 months of playing brilliantly (and 7 years of struggling to break into the team), we've established that Reid is definitely a better player than Jordan Rhodes.

Reid has been a revelation this season and for me he's the first name on the team sheet at the moment for sure. He's been brilliant for 6 months.  Earlier in the season it was Bryan/Flint/Baker & Smith and now it's Reid who's suddenly worth 15m. 

18 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

So happy the various managers over the years agreed with the select few on here who really rated Bobby.

What a player.

Wonder what Bobby will do in the summer without a new thread starting every day or two about it being "make or break season for Bobby"

1 hour ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

When did Rhodes move to Wednesday, 2 or 3 years ago? He’s not performed consistently well since his move to Wednesday, so he’d be unlikely to command such a fee now.

Fees have moved on & so have circumstances, we don’t need to just let Reid go, financially we are very secure so if anyone wants one of our better performers, they will have to pay a premium for them, as they had to with Kodjia after his one decent season with us. Reid is only 24, so has 3 or 4 years on Rhodes & a club like Wednesday believe they should be doing better than better half & although they have an abundance of strikers, none of them have set the division alight this season, they are the sort of club that will look to spend on a striker to solve their problems. I’d be very surprised if Rhodes, Fletcher, Nuhiu & maybe even Hooper are there after this season & Reid offers something that no other striker really offers, the willingness to do the dirty work, his chasing & mileage run in each game won’t of gone unnoticed amongst our rivals.

I guess it all comes down to how highly rated a player is & Reid is clearly highly rated within the game, every time we’re on Sky, Reid & Flint are the ones that special praise is saved for & let’s not forget, for such a diminutive player, he has led the line for us on his own for a large majority of the season, normally a role reserved for a bigger striker like Diedhiou or Djuric. Reid can also play various roles, up front as a one, as a two or behind the striker as a #10 & you never hear of any petulance from him or a lack of will to work for the team yet he’s still bagged 16 goals in his first season as a striker. And on top of that, he’s still learning & willing to learn so there is huge potential for him to improve even further.

EDIT: Rhodes Sheffield Wednesday stats are 7 goals in 40+ league appearances since he first joined Wednesday, that’s including his loan spell where you would of thought he impressed having convinced Wednesday to part with £10m or so a couple of years ago. Plus his reportedly extortionate wages! There really is no comparison as far as I’m concerned

23 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

When did Rhodes move to Wednesday, 2 or 3 years ago? He’s not performed consistently well since his move to Wednesday, so he’d be unlikely to command such a fee now.

Fees have moved on & so have circumstances, we don’t need to just let Reid go, financially we are very secure so if anyone wants one of our better performers, they will have to pay a premium for them, as they had to with Kodjia after his one decent season with us. Reid is only 24, so has 3 or 4 years on Rhodes & a club like Wednesday believe they should be doing better than better half & although they have an abundance of strikers, none of them have set the division alight this season, they are the sort of club that will look to spend on a striker to solve their problems. I’d be very surprised if Rhodes, Fletcher, Nuhiu & maybe even Hooper are there after this season & Reid offers something that no other striker really offers, the willingness to do the dirty work, his chasing & mileage run in each game won’t of gone unnoticed amongst our rivals.

I guess it all comes down to how highly rated a player is & Reid is clearly highly rated within the game, every time we’re on Sky, Reid & Flint are the ones that special praise is saved for & let’s not forget, for such a diminutive player, he has led the line for us on his own for a large majority of the season, normally a role reserved for a bigger striker like Diedhiou or Djuric. Reid can also play various roles, up front as a one, as a two or behind the striker as a #10 & you never hear of any petulance from him or a lack of will to work for the team yet he’s still bagged 16 goals in his first season as a striker. And on top of that, he’s still learning & willing to learn so there is huge potential for him to improve even further.

EDIT: Rhodes Sheffield Wednesday stats are 7 goals in 40+ league appearances since he first joined Wednesday, that’s including his loan spell where you would of thought he impressed having convinced Wednesday to part with £10m or so a couple of years ago. Plus his reportedly extortionate wages! There really is no comparison as far as I’m concerned

Valid and thought out response, appreciated.

I guess what I'm trying to say - A players worth/value is determined by how much the paying club are willing to pay. I do not think that any club at this stage will be prepared to spend 15 million on Reid (or 10 for that matter.)

I may be wrong, I may be right - that remains to be seen, but that's my view. Like everybody else, I have no idea what offers we may receive/accept/decline but I refuse to accept statements such as "Reid will definitely go in excess of 15m" as fact.

Such an important player for us.

His attitude and work rate is phenominal. 

I have always rated him and I am so pleased he is receiving all the plaudits now.

When he hits the magical 20 goal mark other clubs will be in for him come the summer and we'll have a fight on our hands keeping hold of him.

2 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I guess what I'm trying to say - A players worth/value is determined by how much the paying club are willing to pay. I do not think that any club at this stage will be prepared to spend 15 million on Reid (or 10 for that matter.)

I may be wrong, I may be right - that remains to be seen, but that's my view. Like everybody else, I have no idea what offers we may receive/accept/decline but I refuse to accept statements such as "Reid will definitely go in excess of 15m" as fact.

Fully understand that & you’re right about it depends on what a team is willing to pay. The thing being is that a striker is the money player, if a club are unhappy with their current strikers, they will look for better but as I’ve said, financially we don’t have to do any competitors any favours.

As with Kodjia 18 months ago & Flint last summer, if someone wants our players, put up or shut up, we’re no longer a struggling team (performance wise or financial wise), we’re not having to cover debts (to an extent) & given the choice, I’m sure the club would say that the club are much better off keeping hold of Reid rather than banking £10m or so.

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think any of our players will go on to play for England or a top nation but for a player to do that they are now valued at £50m+ because the market & the money in the game is so ridiculous & we’re in a position to take advantage of that, mainly because of SL’s wealth & our need to not have to worry so much about the finances but on the same level, we’re unlikely to be looking at spending £10m+ on any single player until we reach The Premier League.

It’s the philosophy of the club now.

It's unbelievable to think that when Bobby Reid was on loan at Plymouth, many of us thought he wouldn't cut it in League 1 let alone the Championship.

If we had let him go cheaply, what a shame that would have been. 

I'm starting to sound like a stuck record but when we lose a game or two, it's worth remembering that the first team coach and his assistants who will be blamed for the defeat(s) are also the same people who have identified and developed the incredible talent that Bobby Reid has. They have given him the platform to dazzle us with his skill. Credit to LJ, DH and JMcA for their coaching and player development.

There were moments during the Fulham game when Bobby showed skill that you don't see in the Premier League. His vision and speed of thought were on a whole different level. And the guy never stopped running.

Bobby, I applaud you.

29 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Strange post. If you compared any of the previous 7 seasons, Rhodes may actually surpass Reid in passing & assists, considering he actually played consistently.

Fair play, after 6 months of playing brilliantly (and 7 years of struggling to break into the team), we've established that Reid is definitely a better player than Jordan Rhodes.

Reid has been a revelation this season and for me he's the first name on the team sheet at the moment for sure. He's been brilliant for 6 months.  Earlier in the season it was Bryan/Flint/Baker & Smith and now it's Reid who's suddenly worth 15m. 

Not strange at all.  The point is Bobby Reid is a much better footballer than Jordan Rhodes.  Really simple if you ask me.

10 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

You are wrong , a player's worth is what we say it is on OTIB, never forget.

:disapointed2se:

Archived