IGNORED

Missed the game - quick summary please

old_eastender

Just got in, was so demoralised with the previous 3 results decided not to bother watching tonight's game at the expense of my normal Wednesday night event. First league match I've missed all season one way or another. I can see BBC stats say we managed just the 1 shot on target which sounds poor, disappointed but not surprised to see Paterson starting again, surprised by Joe's omission. 

Anyway can anyone give me a quick summary please...

Fulham a very good passing side. Dominated the opening spell and think we all feared the worst when they scored. 

But we responded superbly, and found a new gear. Once back to 1-1 we took control of the game and really were the only side in it second half. 

Lots of good attacking play which we couldn’t really convert into clear cut chances. A really well earned point and on another day could have been 3.

Every single man put in a damn good shift, 110% work rate from everyone. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fulham a very good passing side. Dominated the opening spell and think we all feared the worst when they scored. 

But we responded superbly, and found a new gear. Once back to 1-1 we took control of the game and really were the only side in it second half. 

Lots of good attacking play which we couldn’t really convert into clear cut chances. A well earned point and on another day could have been 3. 

Good summary.

Cracking game. End to end at times. Two evenly matched teams and a draw a fair result. Good advert for the Championship.

Good atmosphere helped by the Flum fans who were noisy all game.

I really enjoyed it tonight despite the referee making inconsistent decisions.

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

1 shot on target? Didn't feel like it.

I'm a miserable bastard and I came home very, very happy with that. 2 very good sides going hell for leather at each other, huge atmosphere, slick football.

I was also gobsmacked. The amount of time we had the ball in the Fulham box it seems mad that we didn’t have more than that. I’m guessing blocked, goal bound shots don’t count? Can be the only explanation as we definitley pinged a few at their goal from fairly close range. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Cracking game. End to end at times. Two evenly matched teams and a draw a fair result. Good advert for the Championship.

Good atmosphere helped by the Flum fans who were noisy all game.

I really enjoyed it tonight despite the referee making inconsistent decisions.

I thought he was one of the better ones tbf. Seemed reluctant to get his card out unless he had to (though missed one clear Fulham booking for the same thing he booked Lent for) and seemed more happy than most to allow the game to flow  

I was also gobsmacked. The amount of time we had the ball in the Fulham box it seems mad that we didn’t have more than that. I’m guessing blocked, goal bound shots don’t count? Can be the only explanation as we definitley pinged a few at their goal from fairly close range. 

I'd even go as far as saying we looked more likely to make something happen when we actually had the ball around their box. We look more and more like the City we got in the early season with each game imo.

Funny really, felt like a lot of might have beens, but cannot off the top of my head remember a really good save by either keeper.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

Funny really, felt like a lot of might have beens, but cannot off the top of my head remember a really good save by either keeper.

I remember Frankie making a good save after a mistake but can’t recall the exact circumstances. We definitley didn’t work their keeper enough but certainly not for want of trying.

Fulham dealt with our pressure well. 

3 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Well the Fulham manager reckons it was a rugby match! 

Not sure what he was seeing but our ‘different style’ obviously didnt suit their softies who moaned left right and centre about anything!

Total bollocks that is mind. Thought the ref was brilliant tonight, so refreshing to see someone actually have the balls to let things go.

45 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Just got in, was so demoralised with the previous 3 results decided not to bother watching tonight's game at the expense of my normal Wednesday night event. First league match I've missed all season one way or another. I can see BBC stats say we managed just the 1 shot on target which sounds poor, disappointed but not surprised to see Paterson starting again, surprised by Joe's omission. 

Anyway can anyone give me a quick summary please...

If you think of those energetic "sum of the parts" performances from pre-Xmas, you won’t be far out.  We were good, so were Fulham at times.  We huffed and puffed (in a good way) tonight, and just needed the run of the ball in the box.

If it was a boxing match, we would’ve won on points.

A performance that gives hope for Sunday.  Would’ve been easily to collapse going 1-0 down.

Great game between two very good passing teams, personally thought the result was fair. 

Second half I felt both teams were scared to lose knowing the significance of a point in terms of the season. 

Didn’t see it as a dominant performance that many did, but also didn’t see it like the BBC with them dominating possession. 

Think we all have to remember PERCEPTION IS EVERYTHING. 

Positive point moving into Cardiff. But we are now in desperate need of 3 points 

Fulham came for the draw at least and maybe win it on the break. We started ok then Fulham had one chance and scored. It was a soft goal to concede. Then we upped our game and pretty much looked the more threatening and Bobby took his goal well. It had been coming for a while. We had pretty much 5 or 6 corners leading up to the goal. After that Fulham started play acting. Going down like they had been shot by snipers and interrupting any flow. It was gamesmanship and in fairness it worked. Looked like we might pinch one just before half time but went in at 1-1 thinking it was ours to win. We lacked creativity and those nice little balls that Pack can play. Lots of endeavour but as the stats suggest, in the last 3rd we were left wanting. Kent showed glimpses, but also frustrated at times. We did well to win back possession only to lose it cheaply or put too much weight on the final pass. Bobby Reid was here there and everywhere and looked out most creative outlet. It was a bit of a battle second half with Fulham again stalling for time as soon as we looked like we might be clicking into gear. Substitutions for me were a bit too late. Bryan did ok, but not his usual self, Elliason had a little battle and looked on his toes (would like to see him given a bit more game time - I think the lad has potential, especially when it comes to delivering a final ball which we struggled with tonight). Diony looked quick and strong when he came on and put himself about and won a few flick ons. Unfortunately he didn't have long enough to make his mark and I believe that this game would have been the right one for him to make a mark tonight. 

Bailey Wright was the only one back on the halfway line when we had pushed forward and opted to head it strangely instead of bringing it down and put us under pressure and he was pulling at shirts again. Would prefer it if he took the more sensible option. Overall our defence looked more solid with Baker back, but Flint misjudged a header and Fulham might have nicked a winner. Fortunately it came to nothing.

Overall, not a bad game for the neutral, but still frustrating as Fulham were there for the taking tonight and we need to be more creative in that final third.

At least we went for the full 90 minutes tonight. Probably helped that we went behind as opposed to going in front.

Up The City!

Archived