IGNORED

If Junior Bent and Luke Freeman had a love child....

Marina's Rolls Royce

I think I agree with all the above, but would also add that in fairness to him, with one notable exception when we were 3 up in a game we should have won easily, he has always been completely unselfish and looked for the best option to pass or cross.

I think he is a good lad who has the basics and will learn fast.

Let me start by saying that RK is a fantastic talent. I am 100% sure he will be a very useful player at the top level and if not won’t fall below championship level. Good pace, skill and two footed. 

All that said he is only with us another 3 months. Already been here about a month and is still making the same mistakes or wrong choices when on the ball. Still a bit selfish as well. To his credit is working much harder off the ball but with our wing options we already had(Bryan, Brownhill, Pato, Eliasson and soon to be O’Dowda) I am just not sure he was worth the risk. It feels like he has come in and taken a spot not on merit. He is the least impressive signing of January imo. 

The no end product thing is very harsh too. He was a whisker away from putting the tie to bed vs Sunderland and last night put multiple good deliveries in from corners and wide areas. 

It’s not unfair to say that he has the annoying Freeman trait of trying to beat a man twice - ie sell him with a turn only to then turn back and try and beat him the other way - but then even our centre backs do that in our own area! 

He will be a very good player and even now offers us something we just don’t have until O’Dowda is back. 

If Eliasson (as of now) is the answer then I dread to think what the question is. 

The other thing about Kent - and IMO the reason he and Pato started yesterday is their energy out of possession. They didn’t stop hassling the back four last night and kept hem penned in their own half for much of the night.

Joe Bryan just doesn’t give you that when he plays in midfield. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The no end product thing is very harsh too. He was a whisker away from putting the tie to bed vs Sunderland and last night put multiple good deliveries in from corners and wide areas. 

It’s not unfair to say that he has the annoying Freeman trait of trying to beat a man twice - ie sell him with a turn only to then turn back and try and beat him the other way - but then even our centre backs do that in our own area! 

He will be a very good player and even now offers us something we just don’t have until O’Dowda is back. 

If Eliasson (as of now) is the answer then I dread to think what the question is. 

The other thing about Kent - and IMO the reason he and Pato started yesterday is their energy out of possession. They didn’t stop hassling the back four last night and kept hem penned in their own half for much of the night.

Joe Bryan just doesn’t give you that when he plays in midfield. 

Really was a pointless sub last night.

54 minutes ago, BigTone said:

He was a legend who could run rings around all 11 opposition players, end up 3 foot in front of an open goal and still put the ball into the car park of the Robins pub  :thumbsup:

To be fair he was only about 4 foot tall and they just didn’t have the heart to take the ball off him. Always played enthuastically with a huge grin on his face, a bit like a human version of a Labrador puppy. 

4 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I don’t remember Junior Bent, but if I had to say a player he’s similar to it would be Campbell-Ryce. 

A lot of trickery & turning in circles, but ultimately no end product.

He was a poor man's Raheem Sterling....more Worrall Sterling (although you might be too young to remember him also, so just refer to Raheem instead).

54 minutes ago, BigTone said:

He was a legend who could run rings around all 11 opposition players, end up 3 foot in front of an open goal and still put the ball into the car park of the Robins pub  :thumbsup:

Or he could run from his own half, out sprint everyone and score - as he did against Swindle.

The goal against Swindle and the FA Cup game against Liverpool which was a prime example of when he did all of the hard work only to miss are  both on YouTube.

Interestingly, the commentator in the Liverpool game says after Junior skies one into Row Z "I think he is playing the wrong sport" insinuating that his shooting skills would be better suited to egg chasing.

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think we needed fresh legs but should have been Pato off not Kent. Everything that got us forward was going via Kent/Reid/Diedhiou. 

I'd have prefered that too.

Pato off, Hörður stays on, push Brownhill up and give Joe a chance to do those runs through the middle that we once saw and admired, but have largely been denied since.

I can't ever remember seeing a player take an inswinging corner with his right foot then, crossing over to the other side of the pitch, take an inswinging corner with his left. It's a tremendous ability however presently, I'm a little underwhelmed by him tbh. I don't think that the supposed penalties which we have to pay if he doesn't play does him any favour, nor particularly endears him to our fan base. A team should always be selected based solely upon merit in my view.

Oh, and for the gentleman sat a couple rows behind me last night, when RK gave the ball away on one occasion, if you actually shouted "Useless Kent" you were probably correct. If I misheard you, then you were being extremely unfair and you should better control your language. ;)

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

So accurate :D

I remember a OTIB fanzine list of 'proof you're a true Red' in 95/96, featuring gems such as 'if you have seen Junior cut inside an opposition full back' :D 

4 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

He was a poor man's Raheem Sterling....more Worrall Sterling (although you might be too young to remember him also, so just refer to Raheem instead).

Or he could run from his own half, out sprint everyone and score - as he did against Swindle.

The goal against Swindle and the FA Cup game against Liverpool which was a prime example of when he did all of the hard work only to miss are  both on YouTube.

Interestingly, the commentator in the Liverpool game says after Junior skies one into Row Z "I think he is playing the wrong sport" insinuating that his shooting skills would be better suited to egg chasing.

From my recollections, more Worried Starling.

6 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

As I remember it, Jnr's goal at Swindon owed much to what we would now call an "assist" from Bob Taylor, an excellent one as he played a through ball from somewhere near his own box by arrowing what looked more like a shot at goal toward Jnr somewhere near halfway, sending him clear.

He still had a lot to do, mind, Jnr, and time to think about it. Usually a scenario that didn't end well for JB but happily, on this occasion, sealed the points.

3 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I can't ever remember seeing a player take an inswinging corner with his right foot then, crossing over to the other side of the pitch, take an inswinging corner with his left. It's a tremendous ability however presently, I'm a little underwhelmed by him tbh. I don't think that the supposed penalties which we have to pay if he doesn't play does him any favour, nor particularly endears him to our fan base. A team should always be selected based solely upon merit in my view.

Oh, and for the gentleman sat a couple rows behind me last night, when RK gave the ball away on one occasion, if you actually shouted "Useless Kent" you were probably correct. If I misheard you, then you were being extremely unfair and you should better control your language. ;)

Paterson has done it for us this season though not as good at it. 

Archived