IGNORED

Sky sports 3

Red Army 75

2 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I'd take promotion over those games and it is beginning to look like those games are going to cost us a chance of going up. If that is the case then I won't look back on those ties with fond memories, unlike the Liverpool game in '94.

Did we gain promotion in ‘94 on the back of beating Liverpool?

4 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

No, but we were never even in the running, so the cup run was the highlight of an otherwise uneventful season.

So having a season where we were largely expected to be bottom half but have spent the majority of it in the play-off positions & beating Man Utd, Watford, Stoke & Crystal Palace on a cup run that took us to a two legged cup semi-final against one of the best teams in Europe & to only lose both ties to injury time goals is considered an inadequate season?

You realise this is Bristol City right?

7 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

So having a season where we were largely expected to be bottom half but have spent the majority of it in the play-off positions & beating Man Utd, Watford, Stoke & Crystal Palace on a cup run that took us to a two legged cup semi-final against one of the best teams in Europe & to only lose both ties to injury time goals is considered an inadequate season?

You realise this is Bristol City right?

The statistics themselves show a big dip in form since the cup, so it is clearly evident that we have gone from being in the top 6 and 8 points clear of 7th to potentially dropping out of the playoffs altogether by Saturday and possibly sinking as low as 10th. 

Cup runs can disrupt teams, not always, but it can and that is the case for us this season.

Hey, I am more than happy that we aren't involved in a relegation dogfight, but we have shown that we are good enough for the Premier League, but the extra games have come at a cost. The gap between 7th is gone, we have lost a lot of players to injury which was hardly surprising as games over Christmas were coming every 3-4 days at one stage. 

We are not out of it yet, but our form isn't good at a vital stage of the season. If we fail to make the playoffs then yes, for me the cup run won't feel as great as it did at the time. That's just the way I feel about it. Others may view that differently, but we are all entitled to our own opinions.

14 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

The statistics themselves show a big dip in form since the cup, so it is clearly evident that we have gone from being in the top 6 and 8 points clear of 7th to potentially dropping out of the playoffs altogether by Saturday and possibly sinking as low as 10th. 

Cup runs can disrupt teams, not always, but it can and that is the case for us this season.

Hey, I am more than happy that we aren't involved in a relegation dogfight, but we have shown that we are good enough for the Premier League, but the extra games have come at a cost. The gap between 7th is gone, we have lost a lot of players to injury which was hardly surprising as games over Christmas were coming every 3-4 days at one stage. 

We are not out of it yet, but our form isn't good at a vital stage of the season. If we fail to make the playoffs then yes, for me the cup run won't feel as great as it did at the time. That's just the way I feel about it. Others may view that differently, but we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Your last paragraph says it all, we are only at the end of February & after Sunday we will of played all of the other play-off teams twice already this season, so on paper it should only get easier but this is The Championship & anyone can beat anyone but for me, especially compared to what my expectations were at the beginning of the season, we’ve been immense & the publicity the cup run alone has given us will of meant that players from abroad who may not of heard of us before, could become potential signings. Everything about that cup run has lifted the clubs stature up within the game.

All these games that we’ve had on Sky will of done similar, people who probably wouldn’t of watched us before have now seen what we’re about & you only have to listen to the commentators & analysts to hear just how positive everyone is about our club.

And not many of our playing squad are about to retire or be let go because of age, so this group COULD help us progress further over the next few seasons & don’t forget, a fair few of this team were league one players not so long ago.

36 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

So before the Man Utd game I was one of those who would happily have taken 3 points at QPR a few days later, in preference over a win against United.

BUT despite the nosedive in league form since (which was the worry all along) I've since changed my mind. That United game, everything about it, was magical and will live in the memory forever, as will Man City away. We've had so few of those standout occasions in the 40-odd years I've been watching City.

Prior to the Manchester games I felt we were in with a chance of promotion, no more than that. Now I believe we have less of a chance than we did. Hey ho, but whatever happens we'll always have those brilliant nights to re-live and I'll always be grateful to BCFC for them.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Your last paragraph says it all, we are only at the end of February & after Sunday we will of played all of the other play-off teams twice already this season, so on paper it should only get easier but this is The Championship & anyone can beat anyone but for me, especially compared to what my expectations were at the beginning of the season, we’ve been immense & the publicity the cup run alone has given us will of meant that players from abroad who may not of heard of us before, could become potential signings. Everything about that cup run has lifted the clubs stature up within the game.

All these games that we’ve had on Sky will of done similar, people who probably wouldn’t of watched us before have now seen what we’re about & you only have to listen to the commentators & analysts to hear just how positive everyone is about our club.

And not many of our playing squad are about to retire or be let go because of age, so this group COULD help us progress further over the next few seasons & don’t forget, a fair few of this team were league one players not so long ago.

Sorry to nit-pick mate; but I think we need to regard Boro & Preston, both away (and in good form) as well as Brentford & Sheff U (home) as "play off teams" as well.

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Sorry to nit-pick mate; but I think we need to regard Boro & Preston, both away (and in good form) as well as Brentford & Sheff U (home) as "play off teams" as well.

And I’ll apologise for nit-picking but every team can’t be ‘in the play-offs’, so after Sunday we will have played the current 5 other teams in the promotion spots & play-off positions twice. So on that basis & at this point in the season, the teams that are currently in the play-off positions & above are the better teams. It’s not like this analysis is coming after only the first 5 games.

Yes some teams may make a late charge into the play-offs, as others might falter but we shouldn’t fear anyone as things stand with our remaining fixture list. There are no more new signings (apart from the odd freebie), everyone has to go with what has got them to where they are now.

How would you view things if we still had to play Wolves, Villa, Derby, Fulham & Cardiff before the end of this season? I would suggest it would look considerably tougher if we knew we still had to play those teams, yes?

5 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

The gap between 7th is gone, we have lost a lot of players to injury which was hardly surprising as games over Christmas were coming every 3-4 days at one stage

Just to confirm, the likes of Hegeler, Diedhieu, O Dowda, Pisano, O Neil, Djuric were already injured long before Christmas, although I agree it meant the same smaller group had to play more often than they would have, they would have some additional tiredness and perhaps being a bit jaded but the only injury that I can remember since Christmas that has been reported is to Matty Taylor, and Frankie's groin injury (?) which kept him out for a few games. (Happy to be corrected on that)

Archived