IGNORED

Magnússon's long throw

Fiale

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Me too @Chivs.....see the post above this one.

The other one instantly recalled was Duric in the League Cup game.

I thought Flint also headed one straight in earlier in the season in front of the south stand ? I cant recall the game though, maybe it was djuric, early onset oldtimers........

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Seem to recall Pisano has a long throw too, so can have options on right and left without having to flog Magnússon from one side to the other.

Bloody hell, you have some memory!

I can’t even be sure I recall what he looks like..

12 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

You wait for one and two come along at once.......and not even a week ago

Really! You're claiming those as down to Maggers' throws?

The first one, Diedhou, who isn't the first person to touch the ball, stands over it, goes and gets a cup of tea from the canteen, wanders back on, and scuffs the ball into the back of the net.  For sure, this all came about after the throw-in but they probably came about after Frankie kicked the ball straight out of the ground as well...

My comment was related to direct goals scored from the throw-in.  That is, like a corner where the attacker wins the ball first and scores.

The long throw is a chance to get the ball into the box with the likes of Flint and Baker to aim for and put the opposition under pressure. It also stirs up the crowd and creates excitement. Why not use it when it's at your disposal?

I don't subscribe to this idea that if a team uses long throws it somehow categorises them as playing the Pulis way. Surely it's best to have a variety of ways to open up the opposition. 

13 minutes ago, Chivs said:

The first one, Diedhou, who isn't the first person to touch the ball, stands over it, goes and gets a cup of tea from the canteen, wanders back on, and scuffs the ball into the back of the net.  For sure, this all came about after the throw-in but they probably came about after Frankie kicked the ball straight out of the ground as well...

My comment was related to direct goals scored from the throw-in.  That is, like a corner where the attacker wins the ball first and scores.

You've changed the definition.

First it was a throw in that resulted in a goal, now it's a goal scored directly from the first touch after the throw.

As you your point (and irrelevant dig) about Frankie kicking. Very ill thought out, if it was from Frankie "kicking it straight out the ground" Mags wouldn't have been taking the throw in.

44 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

You've changed the definition.

First it was a throw in that resulted in a goal, now it's a goal scored directly from the first touch after the throw.

As you your point (and irrelevant dig) about Frankie kicking. Very ill thought out, if it was from Frankie "kicking it straight out the ground" Mags wouldn't have been taking the throw in.

I've clarified my definition (admittedly it was vague originally).  I believe "scoring from a corner" is taken to mean a player getting the first touch and scoring direct from the corner (usually a header).

That is what I meant (as I say, I didn't actually state this) by "scoring from a Maggers throw".  If, after a corner, the ball pings around the box for a bit of pinball before a goal is scored, I don't believe anyone says that is scored from a corner.  The two Leeds goals are of the same nature after the throw-ins.

Using your definition of scoring from a throw-in, I imagine that Fielding kicks the ball straight out (facts can be digs but they are still facts), the opposition takes a throw, and some time later Maggers will get his throw-in.....assist by Frankie!!

15 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I've clarified my definition (admittedly it was vague originally).  I believe "scoring from a corner" is taken to mean a player getting the first touch and scoring direct from the corner (usually a header).

That is what I meant (as I say, I didn't actually state this) by "scoring from a Maggers throw".  If, after a corner, the ball pings around the box for a bit of pinball before a goal is scored, I don't believe anyone says that is scored from a corner.  The two Leeds goals are of the same nature after the throw-ins.

Using your definition of scoring from a throw-in, I imagine that Fielding kicks the ball straight out (facts can be digs but they are still facts), the opposition takes a throw, and some time later Maggers will get his throw-in.....assist by Frankie!!

I guess there is the Fantasy Football definition of an assist which bugs the hell out of me, and another definition that I’d call "heavily involved in".

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter too much.  Versus Leeds, I think Mags throw-ins were a big part of the ‘overall’ goal.  He won’t get a "1" in the official assist column, but i’ll Give him credit for his involvement.  Same with Diedhiou’s v QPR, had he got a flick and Reid bundled it over the line, I would give Kent credit for good delivery.

I think too much is made of his many assists, but I guess you have all types of stats that can be spun to suit the argument.

We do create scoring chances from Mags’s throw-ins.  It’s a bit agricultural, but if it allows us to build pressure, then great.  We had a series of throws ahead of Reid’s equaliser on Wednesday....that I think pegged Fulham back, and it may have indirectly helped us get that goal.  I’m not saying Mags should get an assist!

I thought that Magnússon's throw ins were instrumental in causing panic to set in to the Leeds defence last Sunday and resulted in us taking a two goal lead. Unfortunately, for some reason, in the second half I can hardly recall Magnússon taking a throw in. Bailey Wright was taking them and the threat no longer existed.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess there is the Fantasy Football definition of an assist which bugs the hell out of me, and another definition that I’d call "heavily involved in".

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter too much.  Versus Leeds, I think Mags throw-ins were a big part of the ‘overall’ goal.  He won’t get a "1" in the official assist column, but i’ll Give him credit for his involvement.  Same with Diedhiou’s v QPR, had he got a flick and Reid bundled it over the line, I would give Kent credit for good delivery.

I think too much is made of his many assists, but I guess you have all types of stats that can be spun to suit the argument.

We do create scoring chances from Mags’s throw-ins.  It’s a bit agricultural, but if it allows us to build pressure, then great.  We had a series of throws ahead of Reid’s equaliser on Wednesday....that I think pegged Fulham back, and it may have indirectly helped us get that goal.  I’m not saying Mags should get an assist!

I think we can all agree that Mags was heavily involved in the Leeds goals!! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Chivs said:

First of all I haven't defined anything, just pointed out your changing of what counts.

Second of all, the two scenarios are vastly different, one is a goal in the same phase of play, the other is several seperate phases of play with possession turnover.

3 hours ago, Chivs said:

I'll quote you..... "I can't recall one of his throw-ins that resulted in a goal."

Twice....."For sure, this all came about after the throw-in"

Archived