IGNORED

LJ shouting at Frankie

Major Isewater

Frankie got an earful last night when he put a kick straight out of play .

I noticed up until that point he had often rolled the ball out underarm and generally his kicking was a lot better.

It obviously annoys LJ as much as us when FF gives away possession so cheaply to the opponents and it looks like they've been working on it .

Not before time .

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

I noticed up until that point he had often rolled the ball out underarm and generally his kicking was a lot better.

It obviously annoys LJ as much as us when FF gives away possession so cheaply to the opponents and it looks like they've been working on it .

Not before time .

Was markedly better yesterday. Think he only put one in to touch the whole game.

Started kicking it down the middle in the 2nd half rather than trying to pinpoint it onto the touch line (which I’d challenge Pirlo to have done in his pomp with regularity). 

Kick it up the middle and compete for it. We’ve been giving away throwins too much from our goal kicks 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Started kicking it down the middle in the 2nd half rather than trying to pinpoint it onto the touch line (which I’d challenge Pirlo to have done in his pomp). 

Kick it up the middle and compete for it. We’ve been giving away throwins too much from our goal kicks 

Disagree. Often comes straight back from a traditional central goal kick. It's a good tactic to go wide with it, particularly when it doesn't go out!

44 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Not before time .

It's becoming an issue in that it gives away possession to the opposition. I do wonder if it is a sensible option to play so close to the touchline, is that even necessary now that he has a target in Famara now?

55 minutes ago, Harry said:

Started kicking it down the middle in the 2nd half rather than trying to pinpoint it onto the touch line (which I’d challenge Pirlo to have done in his pomp with regularity). 

Think that might be down to the return of Diedhiou, previously expecting Reid and/or Taylor to win it against a centre half miles taller than them was futile.

Fammy won a large percentage of first headers last night which presumably explains LJ’s anger.

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Disagree. Often comes straight back from a traditional central goal kick. It's a good tactic to go wide with it, particularly when it doesn't go out!

I agree that the theory of the tactic is good. Problem is Frankie isn’t Pirlo, and it goes out for a throw 90% of the time. 

So either we give ourselves a 50/50 chance of possession by kicking it up the middle or give us a 10/90 chance of possession kicking it wide. 

Is it easier to defend a 50/50 ball from a goal kick, or from a throw in?

Personally I'd rather see it plonked about 20 feet from the bye line with Flint on the bye line coming in to attack it.

A 50/50 ball in the middle can go anywhere, much harder to control where it's gonna end up.

59 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree that the theory of the tactic is good. Problem is Frankie isn’t Pirlo, and it goes out for a throw 90% of the time. 

So either we give ourselves a 50/50 chance of possession by kicking it up the middle or give us a 10/90 chance of possession kicking it wide. 

Playing up the middle is nowhere near 50/50. The best Keepers are below 50%. Some Keepers are below 10%. 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Is it easier to defend a 50/50 ball from a goal kick, or from a throw in?

Personally I'd rather see it plonked about 20 feet from the bye line with Flint on the bye line coming in to attack it.

A 50/50 ball in the middle can go anywhere, much harder to control where it's gonna end up.

Up the centre the team can be out of shape when possession is lost.

If it goes out on the full for a throw in its easier to defend ... No excuse not to be set up.

Think last night it was almost the 40th minute before Frankie took a place kick.  He’d managed to roll it out every time until then.

With our ‘busy’ midfield and Famara’s heading (holding it up is difficult from a keeper’s ball), could we gamble more on winning any loose balls by kicking centrally.

Guess hitting it up towards Bamba, Morrison (if fit) and Mrs Manga, might be a different ball game....but Ream and Odoi???

I think this is a little competition Frankie and Aden have come up with to alleviate any boredom during a game.

Frankie has to take a goal kick and aim to put it out of play around the half way line, Aden has to try and keep it in!

They have a little bet on who wins over the season with the loser paying for a KFC ( if they have any chicken ) after the last home game against Sheffield United.

Currently Frankie is 2195 points ahead!

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Problem is, you kick straight down middle, their CB's get big head on it / it doesn't drop for us, and you can often find the oppo will break from that. How often have we seen flint get massive head on it and it out oppo defence under pressure straight away, probably 3/4 times a game. 

Kivking wide is sensible, but we don't execute it well all the time. But it does work well when done right! 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

90% of the time? Mate no way.. it's 70/30 in franks favour. Which isn't bad.. but Dan understand why fans get frustrated, because lots will just say "kick it straight"

12 minutes ago, hodge said:

Doesn't help Frankie when Flint (presumably his target) stands within a couple of feet of the touch line, even 5 feet more or so would help Frankie be able to keep the ball in play. 

It does help. If he came in field and Fielding dropped it in too short the opposition instantly can be on top of City who have to get back in shape. So the ball is driven to the touch line, and if it goes out on the full City can set up in two lines then exert pressure on the opposition further up the pitch.

Even Manchester City do similar. 

8 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It does help. If he came in field and Fielding dropped it in too short the opposition instantly can be on top of City who have to get back in shape. So the ball is driven to the touch line, and if it goes out on the full City can set up in two lines then exert pressure on the opposition further up the pitch.

Even Manchester City do similar. 

I get the tactics of it, more the criticism Frankie gets for the ball going out of touch, the precision required its not surprising some go out of play. 

4 hours ago, Harry said:

It's not 50/50 though.  More like 70/30 in favour of the opposition.  So much easier to win a ball being kicked at you than to flick it on.  That's a reason why we kick it wide to Flint as the odds are more stacked in our favour. Big CB vs their winger.

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Not before time .

Amazing how a professional cannot kick a ball. Find it baffling. 

10 hours ago, The Bard said:

It's not 50/50 though.  More like 70/30 in favour of the opposition.  So much easier to win a ball being kicked at you than to flick it on.  That's a reason why we kick it wide to Flint as the odds are more stacked in our favour. Big CB vs their winger.

Yeah, my stats were just pulled out of thin air but were meant as an example of how we really ought to mix it up a bit. Frankie’s ratio of keeping it in play vs out of play is rather poor. I 100% understand the rationale behind this but just think we need to alter it occasionally. As others have said, perhaps Flint needs to come off the line about 10-15 yards, giving FF more of an area to aim at / room for error. Aiming it head height onto the touch line is a very difficult skill for any player to achieve, let alone Frank. 

Archived