IGNORED

Jacki Dziekanowski (Merged)

maxjak

8 hours ago, roddy-d said:

Still to this day I remember him running for goal. He had two defenders in front of him. He never went round he was on his own. He just stepped over the ball flicked it over his head ran through the middle of them while they was watching the ball. I do wish he scored that day. Cause till this day I've never seen anyone do that.

Best piece of skill I've seen from a City player. Just in front of enclosure running towards open end. Sure it was v Ipswich and young keeper Richard Wright just beat Jacki to the ball.

10 hours ago, roddy-d said:

I'm sorry but you have not a clue what your on about. 

Even Andy cole mentions Jacki as one of the best he played with. Tomlin is not in Jacki league. 

I was there. I know what I'm talking about.

With all his wonderful talents he could have done so much more for the club but I don't think he was motivated.

He played for himself , when it suited him . 

This is why I have this opinion on him . For me he was a huge disappointment .

I have more respect for a clogger who gives his all for the shirt . 

This is also why I find it hard to accept him being seen as a legend for us . 

Sorry if that upsets some of you .

9 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I know, I know, deep down, logically speaking, in the cold light of day: £250k = 7 goals and little effort is a poor return.

But,

Jacki was a symptom of the malaise at AG, not a cause. He didn't recruit or sign himself to the club, or pick himself in the team. 

And, we went from crowds of 11500 (quite a lot at that time) when he helped keep us up, to 8k after he had gone. Then 7k a year later, in L1. Dziekanowski brought people to AG. And a few quid back into the "coffers." People bang on about atmosphere now, there was plenty when he was on fire. That Portsmouth game had more "atmosphere" than a season of football in 2018 (I'm veering off into the poetical, now, and nostalgia. I need to remember the facts, too).

For some people, football is, or was, about being lifted out of the mundane and seeing something brilliant or exciting. A bit of magic. DD provided a couple of those moments. We got back to the mundane alright pretty soon after he buggered off. 

And we lost at Trumpton every time, although never as badly as that 0:4, granted (but 1990 wasn't far off). 

He was, though, for many, but not all, a little bit of glamour and magic at a rather sorry football club not really going anywhere anyway, with or without him. Even if the reality of his time here was mostly underwhelming.

I agree with the large part of this. My dad was by no means a die hard but Jacki co insided with a relatively consistent period of his and he still talks about him to this day.

Fond memories on tbe pitch are few and far between for this club and the fact that his was is a positive for a generation  (myself included) is something to be cherished. 

The geneation just after me probably idolize Louis Carey. I'm in different to him for probably the same reasons some are to Jacki, but that's okay and I certainly wouldn't question  their choice of a hero.

10 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I know, I know, deep down, logically speaking, in the cold light of day: £250k = 7 goals and little effort is a poor return.

But,

Jacki was a symptom of the malaise at AG, not a cause. He didn't recruit or sign himself to the club, or pick himself in the team. 

And, we went from crowds of 11500 (quite a lot at that time) when he helped keep us up, to 8k after he had gone. Then 7k a year later, in L1. Dziekanowski brought people to AG. And a few quid back into the "coffers." People bang on about atmosphere now, there was plenty when he was on fire. That Portsmouth game had more "atmosphere" than a season of football in 2018 (I'm veering off into the poetical, now, and nostalgia. I need to remember the facts, too).

For some people, football is, or was, about being lifted out of the mundane and seeing something brilliant or exciting. A bit of magic. DD provided a couple of those moments. We got back to the mundane alright pretty soon after he buggered off. 

And we lost at Trumpton every time, although never as badly as that 0:4, granted (but 1990 wasn't far off). 

He was, though, for many, but not all, a little bit of glamour and magic at a rather sorry football club not really going anywhere anyway, with or without him. Even if the reality of his time here was mostly underwhelming.

I said I wouldn’t add any more on Dziekanowski, so I won’t & I’ll keep this (quite) brief.

We all have opinions - you have yours, I have mine. But also I don’t think it is right to say “we weren’t going anywhere at the time”, the Lumsden appointment when Joe left was pretty stupid, but the season before we signed Dziekanowski was actually our highest league finish in 11 years..

I think I once said to you (or to Tim, or maybe to both of you) it is all about Cavaliers and Roundheads, you tend to favour one or the other. and we are on different sides there but still follow the same one..

As for the facts, actually we didn’t lose at Trumpton every time, aside from a 3-1 cup win (which I bloody missed through work!) there was a certain 4-2 away win where messrs Nugent, Hewlett, Agostino and Seal scored and I was definitely there that day..

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Fascinating article..... thankyou, very insightful.........I had forgotten about Rangers English mercenaries.  Whatever comes and whatever goes, I will constantly have my memories of a fantastic talent named Jacki, I am not concerned about his flawed attributes or his lack of chasing back to defend, I just know he was a magical and superb footballer who made me excited and delighted.........thanks Jacki.

33 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

In 1992, our team had Jacki, Cole and Bob Taylor as attacking players. Allison and Nicky Morgan were no mugs either. How on earth did we manage to only finish 17th and behind the sag cloggers?

Dodgy midfield and defence. 

The strikers can't score goals without the ball.

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

In 1992, our team had Jacki, Cole and Bob Taylor as attacking players. Allison and Nicky Morgan were no mugs either. How on earth did we manage to only finish 17th and behind the sag cloggers?

It didn’t, we sold Bob Taylor in order to buy Dziekanowski.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I said I wouldn’t add any more on Dziekanowski, so I won’t & I’ll keep this (quite) brief.

We all have opinions - you have yours, I have mine. But also I don’t think it is right to say “we weren’t going anywhere at the time”, the Lumsden appointment when Joe left was pretty stupid, but the season before we signed Dziekanowski was actually our highest league finish in 11 years..

I think I once said to you (or to Tim, or maybe to both of you) it is all about Cavaliers and Roundheads, you tend to favour one or the other. and we are on different sides there but still follow the same one..

As for the facts, actually we didn’t lose at Trumpton every time, aside from a 3-1 cup win (which I bloody missed through work!) there was a certain 4-2 away win where messrs Nugent, Hewlett, Agostino and Seal scored and I was definitely there that day..

The Cavalier/Roundhead thing is very apt. Perhaps Jacki was too Cavalier but the overall direction of the club was less to do with him and much more to do with management and board (as I'm sure you'd agree). And after that first season up, we were struggling (as I remember it) before DD arrived after Christmas. He played a significant part in our revival that season. The following season was disappointing but we finished 15th. Think he was gone before the end of that one, and then Osman (with meagre budget, no doubt) got us up to 13th but the crowd hated it and 3000 gave up.

Then came relegation. It was always coming, or so I remember it. But before the inevitable relegation, and the thin gruel of the Osman spell, there was Cole and Dziekanowski. No wonder some still cherish those flicks and flashes of genius.

90/91 was bloody good, though!

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

The Cavalier/Roundhead thing is very apt. Perhaps Jacki was too Cavalier but the overall direction of the club was less to do with him and much more to do with management and board (as I'm sure you'd agree). And after that first season up, we were struggling (as I remember it) before DD arrived after Christmas. He played a significant part in our revival that season. The following season was disappointing but we finished 15th. Think he was gone before the end of that one, and then Osman (with meagre budget, no doubt) got us up to 13th but the crowd hated it and 3000 gave up.

Then came relegation. It was always coming, or so I remember it. But before the inevitable relegation, and the thin gruel of the Osman spell, there was Cole and Dziekanowski. No wonder some still cherish those flicks and flashes of genius.

90/91 was bloody good, though!

Remember everyone upset when Bob Taylor was sold jacki was bought to take that huge disapointment away  the majors on here that didnt rate the flair players i would really like to know which players stick out in there memories

3 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Jackie created most of his goals you either like flair players or you dont

I like flair players .It's really magical to see a player bamboozle  an opponent with a trick .

It's more magical to see a team goal constructed with effort , determination, audacity and guile.

Flair players like Ronaldo, Messi and Bobby Reid also put in a shift for the team and dedicate themselves to their profession.

What I don't like are Prima Donnas who prance about like they are Bob's gift to football and play just for themselves and not the team. 

4 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Remember everyone upset when Bob Taylor was sold jacki was bought to take that huge disapointment away  the majors on here that didnt rate the flair players i would really like to know which players stick out in there memories

Firstly I don't know too many Majors on here but I love flair players. 

They are too numerous to mention all but here's a small sample who , IMHO, merit Legend status long before our Polish maverick.

Bob Taylor, Rob Newman, Joe Jordan, John Galley , Gerry Gow , Paul Cheeseley, Tom Ritchie , Alan Walsh , Scott Murray , Terry Cooper...

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I like flair players .It's really magical to see a player bamboozle  an opponent with a trick .

It's more magical to see a team goal constructed with effort , determination, audacity and guile.

Flair players like Ronaldo, Messi and Bobby Reid also put in a shift for the team and dedicate themselves to their profession.

What I don't like are Prima Donnas who prance about like they are Bob's gift to football and play just for themselves and not the team. 

WOW...WOO and WOW.......................Ronaldo, Messi and Bobby Reid.............That's a very elitist mix, I would imagine that Ronaldo and Messi would be delighted to be compared and imagined as similar to the outstanding Bobby Reid,.... Come on Down that man.

27 minutes ago, Super said:

Legend? he played 43 games! good player he was legend he certainly wasn't.

53...................................Ask the majority of BCFC Fans from 92-93, and I think you will find he is in fact legendary......GOOD does not quantify it

Not sure that he deserves "legend" status, but I remember Jacki fondly. Despite being lazy, he had skill that seemed exotic at the time and could light up a game. Happy to admit there might be a case of rose-tinted glasses here, but I recall feeling miffed when Osman sidelined him.

9 minutes ago, Offside said:

Not sure that he deserves "legend" status, but I remember Jacki fondly. Despite being lazy, he had skill that seemed exotic at the time and could light up a game. Happy to admit there might be a case of rose-tinted glasses here, but I recall feeling miffed when Osman sidelined him.

And I remember Osman explaining why he dropped Jacki " a few tricks and a 30yrd  shot  isn't enough"   How right he was.

19 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I Am Russell Osman's Love Child............but please keep it under wraps

So you can't say .

I reckon you and Hadital are desperately trying to sell tickets for DD's meal .

I am sure there are lots of posters who would love to spend some time with the flawed genius but many would prefer a little more transparency in the proposals .

Archived