IGNORED

If we appointed Warnock in Feb 2016....where would we be now?

tinman85

Personally I think Neil would have had us promoted last season. Do you agree? Hope we thrash them on Sunday but got to hand it to NW. Crushing it now with an incredibly average squad. No disrespect to LJ but if we had appointed Neil in 2016 do you think we would have achieved more by now comparing funds spent and management skills? 

Really would much rather have the project that Lee Johnson is implementing with a young, energetic side and a good youth pathway. 

Maybe Warnock could have done slightly better than Lee, but I think Lee is much more exciting and look what he has given us with the cup run success. 

Wouldn't change our style of football for Cardiff's for the sake of getting in to the prem or picking up more points.

Personally I think part of being a good manager is producing entertaining football, and in that respect Warnock isn't exactly succssful.

1 minute ago, Williams' Penalty said:

Really would much rather have the project that Lee Johnson is implementing with a young, energetic side and a good youth pathway. 

Maybe Warnock could have done slightly better than Lee, but I think Lee is much more exciting and look what he has given us with the cup run success. 

Wouldn't change our style of football for Cardiff's for the sake of getting in to the prem or picking up more points.

Football is a results business. 

1 minute ago, tinman85 said:

Because he's at a club who spent much less than us. Similar sized club and they are going up. Basically he wins the past three games where we didn't deliver. Superior. 

Okay, but why wasn't there a Chris Wilder ****-a-thon early on in the season? Or a Slavisa Jokanovic (or whatever his name is) ****-a-thon?

Also, don't know how much truth there is in the idea that they've spent MUCH less than us. However you look at it, it's a total myth that Cardiff are operating on a shoestring budget.

Thirdly, would much rather watch this team than a Warnock side. Must be soul crushing week in week out. Would be ashamed to support the club with Warnock in charge.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Okay, but why wasn't there a Chris Wilder ****-a-thon early on in the season? Or a Slavisa Jokanovic (or whatever his name is) ****-a-thon?

Also, don't know how much truth there is in the idea that they've spent MUCH less than us. However you look at it, it's a total myth that Cardiff are operating on a shoestring budget.

Thirdly, would much rather watch this team than a Warnock side. Must be soul crushing week in week out. Would be ashamed to support the club with Warnock in charge.

They are 2nd and 10 ahead of us. I find that soul destroying. Would Cardiff have thrown away Leeds and Sunderland?

11 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Personally I think Neil would have had us promoted last season. Do you agree? Hope we thrash them on Sunday but got to hand it to NW. Crushing it now with an incredibly average squad. No disrespect to LJ but if we had appointed Neil in 2016 do you think we would have achieved more by now comparing funds spent and management skills? 

Are you basing this on his resounding recent success at that point..?!

He had performed a good rescue mission at Rotherham, but nothing to suggest he was about to lead any team to promotion.

His 3 jobs prior to that, were spactacular failures. 

I would have been devestated in my club, had we appointed Colin at that time. 

We'd be in a better position, but at a massive cost to the club, would much rather be where we are now than where cardiff are off the pitch. 

Warnock has spent a lot of money on old players who will be past it in a couple of years, we on the other hand have a young and exciting squad who are taking the club forward both on and off the pitch

26 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Would it not just be easier for you to support Neil Warnock (wherever he goes)?

20 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Because he's at a club who spent much less than us. Similar sized club and they are going up. Basically he wins the past three games where we didn't deliver. Superior. 

Yep, £6m on Madine, £3m or whatever too much on Tomlin, huge wages to go with several of his squad, he’s spent money on players for now, not looking after the future of the club & he may just walk away from Cardiff this summer, he’s not bothered about the club one bit. Warnock would of taken this club back years, no use of technology or modern techniques & he would of fleeced players of their wages for them to get game time! How many youngsters is Warnock bringing through? And there in lies your problem, you want players who have failed to succeed elsewhere to come in on large contracts.

LJ has sorted this club out from bottom to top & has put us in a position to progress for many years to come & he cares about what he’s doing!

It’s clear you don’t back the club or the project they are building & if you think playing ‘thugball’ is the way forward, then you’re welcome to follow the messiah that is Colin around the country while he lines his own pockets.

Why do I have a feeling that you’ll be gloating on Sunday if Cardiff beat us? You’re a very strange supporter!

16 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Would it not just be easier for you to support Neil Warnock (wherever he goes)?

Yep, £6m on Madine, £3m or whatever too much on Tomlin, huge wages to go with several of his squad, he’s spent money on players for now, not looking after the future of the club & he may just walk away from Cardiff this summer, he’s not bothered about the club one bit. Warnock would of taken this club back years, no use of technology or modern techniques & he would of fleeced players of their wages for them to get game time! How many youngsters is Warnock bringing through? And there in lies your problem, you want players who have failed to succeed elsewhere to come in on large contracts.

LJ has sorted this club out from bottom to top & has put us in a position to progress for many years to come & he cares about what he’s doing!

It’s clear you don’t back the club or the project they are building & if you think playing ‘thugball’ is the way forward, then you’re welcome to follow the messiah that is Colin around the country while he lives his own pockets.

Why do I have a feeling that you’ll be gloating on Sunday if Cardiff beat us? You’re a very strange supporter!

Exactly. Even their “free” players will be on huge wages. Bamba was in Serie A then Leeds. Won’t be a small amount. Hoilett was at QPR when they couldn’t wait to pay people. As you have said about Madine and Tomlin. I imagine paying quite a bit in wages for loan players like Wildschut, Grujic and Bryson. Not to mention almost 2m on Danny Ward. Cardiff I would guess are spending a good deal more on wages than we are plus having a bigger squad. 

Warnock at Bristol City would have been a disaster. I am not even sure we’d be better off in the league. We weren’t set up the same as Cardiff when he got there. Old squad with pedigree that just needed new motivation. We were(are) a young team that were going to make mistakes no matter who was in charge. Would NW have been successful in that environment? Would our players have grown to what they are now? I doubt it

I know where I'd be.

Instead of sat at Ashton every other week, I'd be sat on my sofa at home.

I don't care whether he's second in the league or not. I have no desire to see that anti-football, serial moaning t!ts teams week in, week out - particularly as my team.

So, in answer to your question, where would we be? 

The royal we, and I suspect several other fans, would be nowhere near this football club.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Are you basing this on his resounding recent success at that point..?!

He had performed a good rescue mission at Rotherham, but nothing to suggest he was about to lead any team to promotion.

His 3 jobs prior to that, were spactacular failures. 

I would have been devestated in my club, had we appointed Colin at that time. 

Dont personally like the bloke but you cant take away wherever he goes he works wonders Notts county plymouth sheff unt Rotherham not pretty but successfull now the scum over the bridge

2 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Dont personally like the bloke but you cant take away wherever he goes he works wonders Notts county plymouth sheff unt Rotherham not pretty but successfull now the scum over the bridge

He’s certainly had a good level of success, but let’s not pretend he hasn’t had some terrible stints aswell!

I cannot emphasise this enough... Neil Warnock is a manager for short term firefighting. He can get teams organised, motivated and playing above themselves. What he doesn't do is build a long term project, nurture young players and install/develop a footballing ethos. Warnock has done well at many clubs but how many of them has he made a lasting impact at? Sheff Utd, QPR, Notts County. All relegated immediately following promotion. Rotherham he kept up.. then they were relegated the following season with less than 30 points. 

Were we a club in free fall with a squad of talented but disorganised senior pros I'd be all for appointing Warnock. But we have a young side and are very much building a long term project. Colin wasn't what we needed.

Where would we be ???

Well, we were talking about this in the Coopers Wednesday. I'd be planning more weekends away with the Mrs as I would have given up my season ticket after watching THAT for a couple of months. Successful or not, it's shit football.

7 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Football is a results business. 

Then it depends on what result the owner is looking for.

As ours has set out a clear balanced vision i.e. not just getting promoted at all costs but development of the entire club. Seems the "result" is better than what Warnock would have given us which would be expensive, experianced players that know how to play his awful but effective style.

Under LJ City now have a clear identity and structured plan regarding how the club will work. Exciting, hungry young players all playing for each other producing, for the most part, exciting free-flowing football. Not paying over the odds for journey men on huge wages but investing in youth and the future of the club. 

Off the pitch we are much smarter and professional now and listening to Mark Ashton and LJ and others speak is refreshing to see we have a real culture and identity. Warnock would have kept us up last year and who knows may have done well this year but the whole thing would be short-termism which, in the long run I believe would have been a mistake. Cardiff may go up this year but long term where is that club going? No identity, no soul any more and they’ve signed mercenaries on high wages to get out the league but then what - last time they went up they threw money at it and came straight back down - who knows what their long term prospects are. I know whose camp i’d rather be in, promotion or not. 

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Exactly. Even their “free” players will be on huge wages. Bamba was in Serie A then Leeds. Won’t be a small amount. Hoilett was at QPR when they couldn’t wait to pay people. As you have said about Madine and Tomlin. I imagine paying quite a bit in wages for loan players like Wildschut, Grujic and Bryson. Not to mention almost 2m on Danny Ward. Cardiff I would guess are spending a good deal more on wages than we are plus having a bigger squad. 

Warnock at Bristol City would have been a disaster. I am not even sure we’d be better off in the league. We weren’t set up the same as Cardiff when he got there. Old squad with pedigree that just needed new motivation. We were(are) a young team that were going to make mistakes no matter who was in charge. Would NW have been successful in that environment? Would our players have grown to what they are now? I doubt it

I worked out recently I think their wage bill is probably about 30% larger than ours. It's a pretty considerable amount more.

Agree with everything else you've said - especially age. We have, over the last two seasons, had around the 5th-6th youngest squad in the division, Cardiff the 5th-6th oldest.

I don't think Warnock would work in the set up we currently have. We need a long term manager, willing to stick to that project, would Warnock? You have to go back almost 10 years since he last stayed in a job for over two years.

Plus, style of play. Just, no thank you.  

8 hours ago, tinman85 said:

In my view it would have been Pulis revisited . 

Utterly the wrong DNA for the club . 

Winning , yes . Ugly , cheating football, no . 

Archived