IGNORED

If we appointed Warnock in Feb 2016....where would we be now?

tinman85

12 hours ago, tinman85 said:

They are 2nd and 10 ahead of us. I find that soul destroying. Would Cardiff have thrown away Leeds and Sunderland?

Seriously mate your attitude is so entitled and petulant. 

We are currently playing the best football I’ve ever seen at the club with a brilliant young coach and exciting group of players and all you want to do is moan about the fact that ******* Warnock isn’t managing us and the fact that 5 teams are above us. We’re not entitled to get promoted, you’re not entitled to have whatever manager is managing a team in the promotion spots.

There’s some really brilliant things happening at this club right now. Get some perspective and appreciate the work everyone is putting in to make Bristol City a club to be reckoned with not just for now, but for years to come.

12 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Personally I think Neil would have had us promoted last season. Do you agree? Hope we thrash them on Sunday but got to hand it to NW. Crushing it now with an incredibly average squad. No disrespect to LJ but if we had appointed Neil in 2016 do you think we would have achieved more by now comparing funds spent and management skills? 

Do you really think, we would of been promoted last year?

ffs

37 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I do find it amusing how some posters seem to completely down play Warnock and Cardiff as a joke, like they are the worst team in the league and its only a matter of time before it all comes crashing down and they disappear into oblivion. I also laugh how some posters believe we are the new face of 'how it should be done'. The Man City and United performances have almost brainwashed some people on here

Ive even seen posters talking about how they would 'rather have our long term project' and they are even using that bullshit term 'DNA'. 

We have come on leaps and bounds over the last couple of years, so credit to the club for that, however there are still plenty of clubs who have done things quicker then us, and with less resource to their name. Bournemouth and Burnley being two I can think off, and I personally think Brentford will finish above us this year. Their set up is excellent

Warnock...as much as a nob jockey he is, has done an outstanding job at Cardiff. We will never know what kind of a job he would have done here...but it does make me smile when posters almost look down on other clubs, by making out we play this ground breaking brand of football, and everyone else should aspire to be like us

I think what gets people’s backs up is this constant pedalling of the complete myth that he’s working wonders with no resources. It’s nonsense. 

They are big spenders, on both transfer fees and wages. He likes to play ‘poor hard done by me’ in the media but the reality is far from it. 

Is he doing a good job? Yes. But is it really anything that special, contextually? Nope. 

They’re a big club in the league, money wise, and too many people have been taken in by his ‘hard up’ act. 

31 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

If Cardiff go up they'll struggle and go straight back down and have to do it all over again.

When we go up I can see us actually staying up there and becoming an established top flight club. 

The way we are going about it is spot on, promotion might not be this season.. be it looks likely to happen in the near future. 

Warnock gets teams to where they wanna be, but this time next year if there bottom of the premier league he'll be gone. 

Absolutely. I don’t doubt Neil is a good manager. But he’s the guy you want when you’re down and out, not on your way up.

Just my opinion of course but I’d be very disappointed to see him here unless we were trying to desperately avoid a relegation. 

36 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Absolutely. I don’t doubt Neil is a good manager. But he’s the guy you want when you’re down and out, not on your way up.

Just my opinion of course but I’d be very disappointed to see him here unless we were trying to desperately avoid a relegation. 

Exactly. Well said. 

Could see us in the Premier League in 5 years still with LJ.

Yet they could be back in the Championship having gone through managers post Warnock. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He won the Championship title with QPR within his previous three full time managerial roles prior to being Rotherham boss...

His QPR and Sheff U teams played excellent football. Palace too when we were competing with them. Developed some excellent young players too. I actually think this long ball thing is a myth. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He won the Championship title with QPR within his previous three full time managerial roles prior to being Rotherham boss...

I didn’t say previous 3 full time positions, so was referring to Leeds, Palace & QPR temp position. 

He did indeed win the title previously at QPR, but you need to go back to 2011 for that last promotion. 

1 minute ago, tinman85 said:

His QPR and Sheff U teams played excellent football. Palace too when we were competing with them. Developed some excellent young players too. I actually think this long ball thing is a myth. 

It’s not “long ball” so much. Nothing wrong with playing direct & too your strengths. 

It’s more the cheating, game playing, dirty tactics that people don’t like and “playing to your strengths” with his type of preferred signings is usually far more physical that quick, neat, attractive football. 

7 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Hello hello! Cardiff are 2nd. Hardly backs up the above. 

Hello hello! One moment in time doesn't have any bearing on long term results.

Tomlin is on 28k per week and the big signing for Cardiff this season yet shipped out to Forest 1 window later, any comments on that given how much you like to search for negatives on players LJ signed?

13 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Personally I think Neil would have had us promoted last season. Do you agree? Hope we thrash them on Sunday but got to hand it to NW. Crushing it now with an incredibly average squad. No disrespect to LJ but if we had appointed Neil in 2016 do you think we would have achieved more by now comparing funds spent and management skills? 

Up s**t creek without a paddle, is where we would be

2 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Dont know for sure but im pretty sure they were one of the clubs absolutely skint a little while back i would love to know where these so called clubs in the mire all of a sudden find all this cash for players Bournmouth Forest  etc

I think it’s called building up huge debts on the hope you get promoted and get Oren money. Bournemouth and Brighton did it.

Chairman today, employ results.  That is why the likes of Sam Allardyce in the Premier League and Neil Warnock in the Championship are so invaluable. Allardyce guarantees you the continuation of £100 million per annum in the Premier League.  Neil Warnock guarantees you the best chance of getting to the Premier League and £100 million per season. Should he achieve that this year, he will have done it a record 8 times and his reputation for this will be and already is irrefutable.

I don't think it is a secret that he wanted to manage City.  Had he done so, he would have in my opinion, got us to the Premier League. You can chase a legacy and a style of football and the future, if that is what you wish to do.  Or, in this case you can chase getting to the Premier League quicker.

What Warnock is, is a true manager of people (footballer's in this case).  Too many managers buy success.  This cannot be said of Warnock as it is he and his management and people skills that delivers success.  Even Guardiola who has spent a fortune would be considered a manager of people, improving them all the time.

Lee Johnson is doing a great job, but had Neil Warnock become City manager after the demise of Lee's father, Gary Johnson, City would, in my opinion, have made it to the Premier League by now.

Neil Warnock when he retires from managing teams should spend a year educating managers on what it takes to manage footballers and get a team to the Premier League.  Who wouldn't want to listen!

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

I do find it amusing how some posters seem to completely down play Warnock and Cardiff as a joke, like they are the worst team in the league and its only a matter of time before it all comes crashing down and they disappear into oblivion. I also laugh how some posters believe we are the new face of 'how it should be done'. The Man City and United performances have almost brainwashed some people on here

Ive even seen posters talking about how they would 'rather have our long term project' and they are even using that bullshit term 'DNA'. 

We have come on leaps and bounds over the last couple of years, so credit to the club for that, however there are still plenty of clubs who have done things quicker then us, and with less resource to their name. Bournemouth and Burnley being two I can think off, and I personally think Brentford will finish above us this year. Their set up is excellent

Warnock...as much as a nob jockey he is, has done an outstanding job at Cardiff. We will never know what kind of a job he would have done here...but it does make me smile when posters almost look down on other clubs, by making out we play this ground breaking brand of football, and everyone else should aspire to be like us

Warnock or his backroom staff he takes everywhere for years?

How much training do you think he actually takes?

I also think you've completely misunderstood how City fans interpret how we play and what we've done this season. Not how you think.

As for other teams doing things quicker than us, I'm not surprised. Our backroom and infrastructure has been amateur for years. We are still playing catch up and doing remarkably well considering.

Why is it people who like Warnock also have a love in with Cotts as well...their seems to be a common theme going here.

Blunderbuss type management. :laugh:

How many managers with a good track record have succeeded at City? Granted we've not that often opted for trying them but I'd say the record is mixed at best: Pulis* and Coppell were disastrous at City but clearly good elsewhere. Cotterill did well for 18 months. Wilson was a big name at the time and did an average job. Johnson sr. didn't really constitute a big name when he arrived, though he did do well.

Our best managers have largely had some past experience but have not been big names. Cotterill is probably the only nationally known manager who's been any good for us, and even he was a controversial appointment. Warnock might have had success at City but the record suggests he could just as easily have been a horrible failure.

*Pulis is nationally known now and has a good record but I'd concede that he wasn't at the time, so it'd be fair to count him in a different group, but that wouldn't help my argument.

I've only quickly scanned through this thread so apologies if I'm rehashing previous posts.

I think the relevant question is where would the two teams be now if Cardiff had our  long term injury crisis exacerbated by suspensions and we didn't?

Would anyone seriously claim there was zero chance of LJ getting us above (let's not forget we were) Cardiff if,

1) We had close to a fully fit squad.
2) We weren't having to constantly play people out of position.
3) We regularly had the right player options to implement a "Plan B."
4) We didn't have to use players in need of a rest/not match fit/carrying minor injuries.
5) We had a team playing with so much confidence due to the above. (And the improved results)

The team were looking jaded well before the big cup games but still nicking results. 
We were doing so much better than we had a right to expect under the circumstances, and I was surprised we didn't tail off sooner.

Having first watched City in the 60's, I've had enough of the short-termism, knee jerk reactions and periods of freefall. Of the two, LJ is the one to help guide us on long term sustainable progress.

I usually enjoy NW's pantomime villain act (except against us) and concede he is the right man for certain jobs, but I would be extremely embarrassed by his comments if he were our manager, and that's before we get into playing style.

I want to support a club I can be proud of.
I do and I am.

MJP3

I think your points 1-4 don't stack up because all teams suffer injuries during the season and the resulting knock on effect of that. City are no different in that respect. Being proud of a club is admirable and I support that.

My sole point with Neil Warnock, irrespective of style of football or whether anyone thinks he is a good ambassador for their club, is that I think he would have Bristol City in the Premier League by now.

9 minutes ago, cityfan said:

MJP3

I think your points 1-4 don't stack up because all teams suffer injuries during the season and the resulting knock on effect of that. City are no different in that respect. Being proud of a club is admirable and I support that.

My sole point with Neil Warnock, irrespective of style of football or whether anyone thinks he is a good ambassador for their club, is that I think he would have Bristol City in the Premier League by now.

All teams have injuries, but how often does a side have 5+ players who are in the first 18 injured at the same time for over 3 months?

Not often.

If we'd had injuries to this extent in 2014/15 we wouldn't have gone up automatically.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I didn’t say previous 3 full time positions, so was referring to Leeds, Palace & QPR temp position. 

He did indeed win the title previously at QPR, but you need to go back to 2011 for that last promotion. 

He was only caretaker manager at QPR for a couple of months after Chris Ramsey left, before going to Rotherham - what exactly could he achieve in that time?

The old adage it's not what you're saying, but how you say it springs to mind here.

I think it's evident Warnock is a good manager, and has obviously done very well at Cardiff, on relatively modest resources. I personally feel Villa will pip them to 2nd, but yes, they could feasibly go up automatically this season. Hey ho, these are footballing opinions when all is said and done...

Yet the completely redundant whataboutery (what if we had Warnock...well, what if we'd kept Tammy, what if Dyche had come to manage a few years back, what if we'd beaten Hull at Wembley), and the constant shoe-horned comparisons between LJ and Cardiff that litter numerous threads,  are just bear baiting, and come across as antagonising, so I can see why you're getting trashed on this thread.

Look on upside, if Adrian Durham ever leaves Talkspite, you might be in for a job!

2 minutes ago, underhanded said:

The old adage it's not what you're saying, but how you say it springs to mind here.

I think it's evident Warnock is a good manager, and has obviously done very well at Cardiff, on relatively modest resources. I personally feel Villa will pip them to 2nd, but yes, they could feasibly go up automatically this season. Hey ho, these are footballing opinions when all is said and done...

Yet the completely redundant whataboutery (what if we had Warnock...well, what if we'd kept Tammy, what if Dyche had come to manage a few years back, what if we'd beaten Hull at Wembley), and the constant shoe-horned comparisons between LJ and Cardiff that litter numerous threads,  are just bear baiting, and come across as antagonising, so I can see why you're getting trashed on this thread.

Look on upside, if Adrian Durham ever leaves Talkspite, you might be in for a job!

Well said. The annoying thing is that he actually clearly has no interest in discussion, as he sets the bomb off and then ***** off never to be seen again! 

Archived