IGNORED

If we appointed Warnock in Feb 2016....where would we be now?

tinman85

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I didn’t say previous 3 full time positions, so was referring to Leeds, Palace & QPR temp position. 

He did indeed win the title previously at QPR, but you need to go back to 2011 for that last promotion. 

Am I correct in thinking the 2011 promotion was the one where the Hoops spent themselves into trouble ?

1 hour ago, cityfan said:

MJP3

I think your points 1-4 don't stack up because all teams suffer injuries during the season and the resulting knock on effect of that. City are no different in that respect. Being proud of a club is admirable and I support that.

My sole point with Neil Warnock, irrespective of style of football or whether anyone thinks he is a good ambassador for their club, is that I think he would have Bristol City in the Premier League by now.

Hi City Fan,

This was just a general post on the thread subject. I wasn't disagreeing or even directly replying to your post. Warnock could well have been the quickest way to the Prem. However, how long would he have been here before one of the monied teams offered him a fortune to save them from relegation.
As in the past, would we then go through a succession of managers before finding the right one?
Would one of those managers do enough damage that it takes 3 seasons to recover from?
I've no idea but have seen it happen far too often before.
At least LJ doesn't seem to be in a rush to go elsewhere.

With regard to my points not stacking up......What JamesBCFC said.

Although the memory may be failing a bit, I don't remember a long term crisis  like this in decades. 5-6 players in leg braces at the same time, only to get one back to find another player to need an op and brace or suspended.

I don't think many of the other teams have been playing CB's as Strikers, LB's and RB's as a long term solution.

I don't think many other teams have had 3 of their top 4 choice strikers out long term at the same time.

We were above Cardiff, it's not impossible for it to happen again.
3pts Sunday will dispell the gloom from this forum. COYR.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

All teams have injuries, but how often does a side have 5+ players who are in the first 18 injured at the same time for over 3 months?

Not often.

If we'd had injuries to this extent in 2014/15 we wouldn't have gone up automatically.

But what a hell of a 5 a side team we would have had.

6 hours ago, Cider-Head23 said:

If Cardiff go up they'll struggle and go straight back down and have to do it all over again.

When we go up I can see us actually staying up there and becoming an established top flight club. 

The way we are going about it is spot on, promotion might not be this season.. be it looks likely to happen in the near future. 

Warnock gets teams to where they wanna be, but this time next year if there bottom of the premier league he'll be gone. 

See I just dont see where this optimism comes from. "Promotion looks likely to happen in the near future"? You talk like its inevitable.

What have you seen that suggests we would be so much more successful in staying up than Cardiff? To many people have been sucked in by all the media hype

I really do find some peoples blind optimism staggering. "The way we are going about it is spot on". In what way? Personally I think we dropped an absolute bollock with our recruitment in January. 

Next season will be even harder in this league

19 hours ago, Swede said:

Kicking lumps out of everyone we play in a half empty stadium.

I can even tell you we'd have Kenny in goal, Clint Hill at the back and Derry in midfield.

19 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

playing ‘thugball’ 

If you don't want to know the current standings in the Fair Play table, look away now:

Er, Cardiff are 6th and we are 21st (only three teams "naughtier" than us).

19 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Are you basing this on his resounding recent success at that point..?!

He had performed a good rescue mission at Rotherham, but nothing to suggest he was about to lead any team to promotion.

His 3 jobs prior to that, were spactacular failures. 

I would have been devestated in my club, had we appointed Colin at that time. 

Leaving aside how he did it, what he did - the results he got - at Rotherham was bloody miraculous. And you know it!

10 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I worked out recently I think their wage bill is probably about 30% larger than ours. It's a pretty considerable amount more.

Agree with everything else you've said - especially age. We have, over the last two seasons, had around the 5th-6th youngest squad in the division, Cardiff the 5th-6th oldest.

I don't think Warnock would work in the set up we currently have. We need a long term manager, willing to stick to that project, would Warnock? You have to go back almost 10 years since he last stayed in a job for over two years.

Plus, style of play. Just, no thank you.  

If his wage bill is 2nd highest out of 24, then he is delivering and providing value for money - not to be sniffed at. If his wage bill is 5th, 6th or lower out of 24, he is over-delivering. I have no idea where he sits in the budget/wages table.

Also, is it realistic to ask LJ to deliver promotion if our wage bill is bottom half in the Championship, and with such a young squad? Do younger teams/squads win promotion from this league, or is it mostly the more experienced ones? (I have no idea).

10 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

If you don't want to know the current standings in the Fair Play table, look away now:

Leaving aside how he did it, what he did - the results he got - at Rotherham was bloody miraculous. And you know it!

If his wage bill is 2nd highest out of 24, then he is delivering and providing value for money - not to be sniffed at. If his wage bill is 5th, 6th or lower out of 24, he is over-delivering. I have no idea where he sits in the budget/wages table.

Also, is it realistic to ask LJ to deliver promotion if our wage bill is bottom half in the Championship, and with such a young squad? Do younger teams/squads win promotion from this league, or is it mostly the more experienced ones? (I have no idea).

Spot on,and the ages of squads is a non argument because our best ones will be snapped up this summer so I guess it will be start all over again and again 

8 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

That's not the Fair Play table but a Fair Play table.

If you take the FA's Fair Play table for the Championship we are the 10th dirtiest (which includes points assigned to Matty Taylor's rescinded red card), Cardiff are 16th dirtiest.

Fair Play tables are merely a formula that takes red and yellow cards and gives a notional score.

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Spot on,and the ages of squads is a non argument because our best ones will be snapped up this summer so I guess it will be start all over again and again 

Lottery results please.

There is a chance we may lose 1 or 2, but no one will leave the club unless we receive an offer the club deems to meet their valuation of the player. So can we stop this fear mongering that everyone's going to leave?

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Lottery results please.

There is a chance we may lose 1 or 2, but no one will leave the club unless we receive an offer the club deems to meet their valuation of the player. So can we stop this fear mongering that everyone's going to leave?

What fear mongering is that,if bobby is here next year I and a hell of a lot of city fans will be shocked 

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

That's not the Fair Play table but a Fair Play table.

If you take the FA's Fair Play table for the Championship we are the 10th dirtiest (which includes points assigned to Matty Taylor's rescinded red card), Cardiff are 16th dirtiest.

Fair Play tables are merely a formula that takes red and yellow cards and gives a notional score.

Fair play tables also don't actually reflect whether someone should have been booked but wasn't, or whether someone was wrongly booked/sent off.

Nor how the booking was achieved.

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

What fear mongering is that,if bobby is here next year I and a hell of a lot of city fans will be shocked 

Saying all our best players will be gone. That is not a fact, but you are stating it as such.

You have no evidence, and in no recent season have we sold all our best players.

We have had 2 seasons where our top scorer left, one of those where we knew he would be leaving as it was a loan, the other wasn't a planned sale, but Villa paid over the odds to get him.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Saying all our best players will be gone. That is not a fact, but you are stating it as such.

You have no evidence, and in no recent season have we sold all our best players.

We have had 2 seasons where our top scorer left, one of those where we knew he would be leaving as it was a loan, the other wasn't a planned sale, but Villa paid over the odds to get him.

I guess it’s who you call our best players to be fair,flint will be off without doubt and bobby I guess at the least,of course we wouldn’t have these problems if the big bad wolf warnock  was in charge because we would be heading to the prem 

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I guess it’s who you call our best players to be fair,flint will be off without doubt and bobby I guess at the least,of course we wouldn’t have these problems if the big bad wolf warnock  was in charge because we would be heading to the prem 

You've literally just gone straight back to making things up.

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

What I can’t make up is that warnock is clearly a better manager than lee,his record shows that

Bit difficult for Johnson to have a 35 year managerial record to compare with Warnocks when he's been managing 10% of that time.

Actually, I think I'm starting to get your thinking. The fact he hasnt won the Ashes yet is disgraceful, JOHNSON OUT!

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Bit difficult for Johnson to have a 35 year managerial record to compare with Warnocks when he's been managing 10% of that time.

Actually, I think I'm starting to get your thinking. The fact he hasnt won the Ashes yet is disgraceful, JOHNSON OUT!

Warnock has never gone on losing runs at any club in his whole career  like Johnson has in the 3 clubs he has managed,but hey ho Johnson is the golden boy 

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Warnock has never gone on losing runs at any club in his whole career  like Johnson has in the 3 clubs he has managed,but hey ho Johnson is the golden boy 

I reckon Johnson will go on to manage more premier league games than Warnock and also win more cups/honours during his career.

This is all just ‘wild speculation’ though because the obvious factor of their incomparable career length makes it a bit silly.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I reckon Johnson will go on to manage more premier league games than Warnock and also win more cups/honours during his career.

This is all just ‘wild speculation’ though because the obvious factor of their incomparable career length makes it a bit silly.

Be careful because you will be accused of making things up as well 

12 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Only because he has been sacked before it got that far. Says something to me that no one had faith in him getting out of the slump but three owners have had faith in LJ to do so.

48 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Strange how virtually no team has a complimentary thing to say about Cardiff’s overly aggressive way of playing the game.

Take Man City, despite beating them comfortably, there were still comments from players & management about having never played a team with such tactics before. Man City players injured for weeks / months, a Cardiff player sent-off unsurprisingly & it could / should of been sooner!

Colin is the expert at gamesmanship, getting his players fouling on the blindside of the officials & destroying games, if that’s the sort of football you like to be entertained by, that’s your prerogative but it’s definitely not for me!

Colin is a bully & that’s exactly what players he has playing for him & no it’s not ‘heart on sleeve’ type football, it’s barbaric with no concern for the health of any opposition player!

Sorry, not for me!

6 minutes ago, Big C said:

Only because he has been sacked before it got that far. Says something to me that no one had faith in him getting out of the slump but three owners have had faith in LJ to do so.

Johnson’s win rate is also improving at every club he’s been at (and must be better this season than every one before it). So the signs are that he is improving all the time.

I genuinely, truly can’t get my head around anyone who would rather have a 70 year old at the arse end of his career - who will be out of the game in a few years - over someone who genuinely loves the club, passionate about constantly improving,  part of a long term project of sustained improvement and has proven himself to be  learning from his mistakes, and who is already putting considerably more experienced managers than himself to shame. 

Archived