IGNORED

Am I Being Annoyed For No Reason?

TBW

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Doesn't seem that unusual to me. It's pretty standard practice at most bigger grounds (in home areas).

Guess it's a side effect of the horseshoe concourse - any ticket gives you free realm of three stands if they're not checked.

For goodness sake don't let the 15ers find out we've got a horseshoe concourse - they'll think we've got a horse.

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

WTF does that even mean? 

Why should someone who paid £20 for their ticket sit in a seat that someone else has to pay £40 for? Not saying the prices are right but the principle is obvious. 

Missed my point. Grabbing something that you are not really entitled to is a Tory voter move. I was actually agreeing with you.

1 minute ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Missed my point. Grabbing something that you are not really entitled to is a Tory voter move. I was actually agreeing with you.

Really not sure that which bunch of liars (“political party”) you despise less - and thus vote for - has anything to do with it but fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That's not a useful analogy.  The fact is that if you buy an economy seat and first class is empty, why shouldn't you get an upgrade?

Because you haven’t paid for it? 

The question is why should you ? A sense of entitlement to something you haven’t paid for isn’t a valid reason. 

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

WTF does that even mean? 

Why should someone who paid £20 for their ticket sit in a seat that someone else has to pay £40 for? Not saying the prices are right but the principle is obvious. 

Because otherwise the seat would be empty.  Of course I wouldn't agree with someone buying a £20 ticket in order to get a a £40 seat, but if someone gets a lucky bonus surely it's no skin off the noses of those who've aready paid £40?

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Because you haven’t paid for it? 

The question is why should you ? A sense of entitlement to something you haven’t paid for isn’t a valid reason. 

So if you were offered a free upgrade on an airline, you wouldn't take it?

Would you object to food near it's sell-by date being given away?

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Because otherwise the seat would be empty.  Of course I wouldn't agree with someone buying a £20 ticket in order to get a a £40 seat, but if someone gets a lucky bonus surely it's no skin off the noses of those who've aready paid £40?

It’s not a lucky bonus though. We’re talking about people deliberately tying to claim something they haven’t paid for.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So if you were offered a free upgrade on an airline, you wouldn't take it?

Would you object to food near it's sell-by date being given away?

Not the same at all. It’s a known ‘thing’ for airlines to offer that service. No such equivalency exists in football. 

Not saying it couldn’t/shouldn’t. But we’re talking about people deliberately trying to sneak into a more expensive area than they’ve paid for. Not the same thing. 

4 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Because you’ve paid considerably more than others for a Lansdown ticket, and they don’t want those who have bought cheaper tickets elsewhere then giving themselves a free upgrade when the Lansdown isn’t sold out. 

Last season I had a season ticket in the South Stand. At one game I wandered to the Lansdown and asked if I could get a photo from that Stand, I was let in and could have watched the whole game over there- I went up to the top and then down a bit aimlessly, took a photo and meandered back down, no one checked at all.

This is so simple. Just buy a ticket for the seat you wish to sit in, be it South Stand or corporate seats. If you try sitting in an upgrade without paying,  you are taking money from the club. Why is this so difficult to understand? Its why  there is a price structure in the first place.

20 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Last season I had a season ticket in the South Stand. At one game I wandered to the Lansdown and asked if I could get a photo from that Stand, I was let in and could have watched the whole game over there- I went up to the top and then down a bit aimlessly, took a photo and meandered back down, no one checked at all.

Yeah, then I think people cottoned on to the lax security and started taking the piss and buying cheap tickets then sitting in the best seats. 

As usual with these things - give an inch and people will take a yard. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yeah, then I think people cottoned on to the lax security and started taking the piss and buying cheap tickets then sitting in the best seats. 

I remember one of the people next to me last season watched a game or two over there, but think he upgraded. You are right though, people will take the piss if the opportunity presents.

I've still not watched a game from the Lansdown, but at the same time only watched 3-4 from the Williams (Swindon end of season about 14-15 years ago, Southampton friendly 2013ish, Chesterfield promotion season and possibly one other that season).

4 hours ago, Milan djurichimovic said:

Somtimes it's easier to just sit in the nearest empty seats for some unknown reason Middle Aged blokes think there intiltled to sit were they want and not worth the agro happend twice to me this season sit in s24 heard a bloke saying he can sit were he wants in s24 because he's got a unreserved season ticket in s24 and s25 and if Somone tell his to move he'll show them who's boss :facepalm: back to OP seems like they just check people going up steps towards the singing section because of tools who think they can sit were they want, but there is no need for both sets of stewards to check I think there just told to so you don't go the wrong side for your specific block 

don't tar all middle aged blokes as lazy arrogant g**s, you meant some I'm sure.

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think that's true and I would like to see the club check that people don't move around freely and swap cheap seat for expensive seats.

But...

When I had to buy two late tickets for Norwich, the only available pair (that weren't in the Upper Lansdown) were in the Lower Dolman outside of the protection of the roof.  Thankfully it was a dry day but it was freezing.  Meanwhile, on the opposite side of the stadium there were rows and rows of empty seats in the Lower Lansdown hospitality area.  They were empty throughout the game.

I would have been happy to buy tickets for two of these cushioned seats if they had been available online but they weren't.  In those circumstances, it would have been very helpful to switch seats with a bit of flexibility from the stewards.

2 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I think that's true and I would like to see the club check that people don't move around freely and swap cheap seat for expensive seats.

But...

When I had to buy two late tickets for Norwich, the only available pair (that weren't in the Upper Lansdown) were in the Lower Dolman outside of the protection of the roof.  Thankfully it was a dry day but it was freezing.  Meanwhile, on the opposite side of the stadium there were rows and rows of empty seats in the Lower Lansdown hospitality area.  They were empty throughout the game.

I would have been happy to buy tickets for two of these cushioned seats if they had been available online but they weren't.  In those circumstances, it would have been very helpful to switch seats with a bit of flexibility from the stewards.

Yeah it would be useful if there was a mechanism for legitimate seat swapping. 

But...

I sit in the block next to these seats and they are empty most games. Doesn't mean they haven't been sold though!

1 minute ago, marmite said:

I sit in the block next to these seats and they are empty most games. Doesn't mean they haven't been sold though!

Fair point.  Just a shame that they have the best view in the ground, they're padded and it looks odd to see them empty for some of the "less glamorous" games.  As there were at least 50+ empty seats in a block without a single person sat in them I'm sure the club would have known in advance that whoever's option it was to use them had not been taken up.

A wider issue is that our ticketing system needs a significant overhaul.  It's not a directly related matter but it drives me mad how we sell tickets for the Upper Lansdown.

The only time the ticket checking has annoyed me this season was when my two kids went to the loo at the Sunderland game and weren’t allowed back in to S82 as I had their tickets. They’d just walked past the same stewards who wouldn’t let them back in and I only knew they were locked out because they took so long. They’re only 9 and 11 so had no clue what to do. 

Other than the odd lack of common sense like that I completely understand why they have to check tickets. There are always way more people in the singing section than there should be and it can get pretty overcrowded at times. I think expanding it next season would be a great idea if it’s logistically possible. 

As for the Lansdown argument, again I understand why the club would want to stop people taking the piss and getting the best seats on the cheap. If you have an ST you can move 3 times a season anyway so it’s easy enough to experience the Lansdown legitimately anyway. 

Fair point.  Just a shame that they have the best view in the ground, they're padded and it looks odd to see them empty for some of the "less glamorous" games.  As there were at least 50+ empty seats in a block without a single person sat in them I'm sure the club would have known in advance that whoever's option it was to use them had not been taken up.

A wider issue is that our ticketing system needs a significant overhaul.  It's not a directly related matter but it drives me mad how we sell tickets for the Upper Lansdown.

I agree its a shame to see them empty. They always seem to come up as unavailable or sold out when you want to buy one online. Maybe the occupants would rather stay in the bar during matches rather than sit in their seats. 

1 minute ago, marmite said:

I agree its a shame to see them empty. They always seem to come up as unavailable or sold out when you want to buy one online. Maybe the occupants would rather stay in the bar during matches rather than sit in their seats. 

I honestly don't think there's anyone in the stadium with tickets for those seat numbers (for certain games like Norwich).  I guess that hospitality packages are sold with those seats (fairly central and directly below the executive boxes) so they can't be sold to peasants like me because I'm not looking for a meal and wine/beer.  Because the kitchens are running regardless of numbers, getting the most people in for meals is a good revenue stream for the club - they need to keep the seats back in the hope that someone buys the hospitality package.  You can't sell a meal if you've already sold all of the available seats in the lower Landsown.  The seats should not be marked as "sold" online if it would be more accurate to label them "unavailable".

Now if the club were to offer me a padded Lansdown seat, a burger and a few beers for £30, I would be there every game!

3 hours ago, Jacki said:

The only time the ticket checking has annoyed me this season was when my two kids went to the loo at the Sunderland game and weren’t allowed back in to S82 as I had their tickets. They’d just walked past the same stewards who wouldn’t let them back in and I only knew they were locked out because they took so long. They’re only 9 and 11 so had no clue what to do. 

I would speak to the club's Child Protection Officer.

Archived