IGNORED

The Transformation of Bedminster

Anglo-Welsh

Interesting article in today's post:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/success-story-bs3-how-transform-1250386

All about how Bemmy has gone from being a once tired and downtrodden area to now one of the most expensive hot-spots in the City.

As a BS3 resident, curious to see other's viewpoints on what this article is saying.

For me it's a mixture of positive and negative. Whilst I'm more than happy to see regeneration, loads of new businesses and lots of community things going on, it comes at a heavy price. The area is overly gentrified and house pricing is now extortionate.

Local people born and raised there can't buy or stay here anymore and most residents tend to be wealthy people from other parts of the country. Plus having all these organic delis and fair trade markets is all well and good if you can afford it - sadly I can't! I certainly won't be able to buy a house in the area I was born, whcih is very saddening.

But it's one of those ironic catch 22's - the area wouldn't be where it is now if the hipsters haven't moved in and brought with it their new shops and art work etc.

As a Bemmy boy of yore, I see a lot of it is now sprayed over. Quite how that gentrifies the place is debatable, but there's no denying it has become a New Bohemia. The current fashion for buying old terraces that our grandparents grew up in and turning them into 'posh' houses somewhat mystifies me. It might well be a case of the area undergoing economic cleansing.

22 hours ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Interesting article in today's post:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/success-story-bs3-how-transform-1250386

All about how Bemmy has gone from being a once tired and downtrodden area to now one of the most expensive hot-spots in the City.

As a BS3 resident, curious to see other's viewpoints on what this article is saying.

For me it's a mixture of positive and negative. Whilst I'm more than happy to see regeneration, loads of new businesses and lots of community things going on, it comes at a heavy price. The area is overly gentrified and house pricing is now extortionate.

Local people born and raised there can't buy or stay here anymore and most residents tend to be wealthy people from other parts of the country. Plus having all these organic delis and fair trade markets is all well and good if you can afford it - sadly I can't! I certainly won't be able to buy a house in the area I was born, whcih is very saddening.

But it's one of those ironic catch 22's - the area wouldn't be where it is now if the hipsters haven't moved in and brought with it their new shops and art work etc.

It going on all over Bristol. Over £300.000 for houses in Easton. “ nighttime no time to be in that there neighbourhood “

I've been living in Bemmy for nearly 40 years and I'm gonna continue to lower the tone until I die! Amused by articles like this along with the one where they're gonna re route the Airport bus cause driving through Bemmy ain't a good first impression for tourists.

When are they going to do something to Bedminster parade? That was once somewhere you could go instead of venturing into town. It was slowly declining anyway, but when Woolworths went, that pretty much killed the area.

You go there now, all you get is charity shops, few pubs, and second hand shops.

On 23/02/2018 at 10:49, Anglo-Welsh said:

I'm South Bristol born & bred and moved to Bedminster in 1998 when it was still "Old Bemmy" - no sign of the TF, organic cake shops or street fayres then. It was - however - only a short hop, skip  and a jump to the new Millennium and George's Tobacco Factory was undoubtedly the catalyst for the regeneration we've seen. Who'd have thought it would go as far as it has, though, with some properties in Southville easily attracting north of Half a Million quid. 

Is it for the best? Who knows. Probably not though, I suspect. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

I'm South Bristol born & bred and moved to Bedminster in 1998 when it was still "Old Bemmy" - no sign of the TF, organic cake shops or street fayres then. It was - however - only a short hop, skip  and a jump to the new Millennium and George's Tobacco Factory was undoubtedly the catalyst for the regeneration we've seen. Who'd have thought it would go as far as it has, though, with some properties in Southville easily attracting north of Half a Million quid. 

Is it for the best? Who knows. Probably not though, I suspect. 

Depends who you ask mate.

As a Bemmy boy born and bred it's 50/50 for me. House prices, hipsters, pretentious families, organic food/liberal stuff being rammed down your throat but in turn these very people are the ones who've brought about new shops, community events etc.

25 minutes ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Depends who you ask mate.

As a Bemmy boy born and bred it's 50/50 for me. House prices, hipsters, pretentious families, organic food/liberal stuff being rammed down your throat but in turn these very people are the ones who've brought about new shops, community events etc.

It does feel like the social divide as widened or been exacerbated by the creation of this gentrified part of our great city. Not everyone will have either the spare funds or the inclination to get a loaf of £5 sourdough from the Hobbs House Bakery in what used to be the Midland/HSBC on North Street. Nor will the hipsters be beating a path to the Old Globe on East Street for a pint, mind, I'd imagine. 

The one thing that absolutely boils my piss about some people - and they're not exclusively "newbies" - is their sense of entitlement. RPZ is a classic example of this but there are other subjects when Self-Entitled of Southville pops up to moan and whinge about every little thing that they don't agree with. 

Bedminster still has very different parts. You cannot compare Marksbury Road and East Street to Windmill Hill and Southville. I love the fact that North Street has seen a resurgence in independent shops. And the street art that is part of Bristol culture is fantastic. But then I can't justify living where I have always lived for much longer. Although part of me feels it is unfair, if I had always lived in Clifton and was moaning about prices, I'd be told to stop being so entitled. 

Bedminster is my home and always has been. Would hate to leave it behind. Sadly, money talks 

16 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

It does feel like the social divide as widened or been exacerbated by the creation of this gentrified part of our great city. Not everyone will have either the spare funds or the inclination to get a loaf of £5 sourdough from the Hobbs House Bakery in what used to be the Midland/HSBC on North Street. Nor will the hipsters be beating a path to the Old Globe on East Street for a pint, mind, I'd imagine. 

The one thing that absolutely boils my piss about some people - and they're not exclusively "newbies" - is their sense of entitlement. RPZ is a classic example of this but there are other subjects when Self-Entitled of Southville pops up to moan and whinge about every little thing that they don't agree with. 

Agree with this, especially when it comes to their self entitlement and moaning about Football fans and Ashton Gate. ‘Too noisy, too many yobs, nowhere to park’ blah blah. Don’t move right next to a long established football club if you don’t like it! 

3 hours ago, tommy32 said:

Agree with this, especially when it comes to their self entitlement and moaning about Football fans and Ashton Gate. ‘Too noisy, too many yobs, nowhere to park’ blah blah. Don’t move right next to a long established football club if you don’t like it! 

Spot on.

Archived