IGNORED

Corinthian-Casuals 1983 Cup Match. Alan Pardew

Norn Iron

Alan Pardew played for Corinthian-Casuals in the 83-84 season.

I can't find a team sheet on the interweb thingy, but does anyone know if we played against him in either cup match? I was there for the Dulwich Hamlets match but can only remember two things about that game and one was the score!

6 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I can't find a team sheet on the interweb thingy, but does anyone know if we played against him in either cup match? I was there for the Dulwich Hamlets match but can only remember two things about that game and one was the score!

And the other was...? Millwall turning up?

5 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

My very first game!

I was talking to Jon Economou a few years back, and he mentioned that he played in the home game against, Alan Pardew. So I think the answer must be yes.

6 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Yes, Pardew played in both games and so did Andy Gray (ex Palace, Villa & Spurs)

So weird that this should appear tonight because by chance I watched the extended highlights of this match on YouTube only last night! I never knew we had ever played them, (a club with a fantastic history if you’re interested unfortunately now languishing in the Bostic League). There’s a great channel by a guy called ‘Mike J’ that has collated highlights of all games from various seasons (80s, 90s and 00s). I’ve been binging these all week, finally able to watch the players and grounds that my father used to tell me of, amazing to see the downfall from Divison 1 to this basement and the state and attendances at AG back then.

unfortunately I don’t think there was a visual of the team sheet though...

Just read in the  program we were playing against  4 Flower Sellers a Photographer, BT Technician, Tarmac Rep, Sun employee, Glazier (Pardew), Cabbie, Surveyor, Stencil Maker (Gray) and a Designers Cutter 

Thanks North London Red for the photo. If you'd had asked me the 2 things I had remembered from the County Away match it would have been the fact it was played on a Sunday afternoon and that Ton Ritchie was denied a penalty. It has always been in my mind. It happened right in front of me. How the ref said no pen was amazing. Tom was in the middle of a crowded box and had the ball ready to bang into the back of the net. All of a sudden he was hacked down by a County player to his right (our left). 

To see it mentioned, brings back the memories!

Maybe we should start a thread entitled Name 2 things you remember a certain game For. 

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Thanks North London Red for the photo. If you'd had asked me the 2 things I had remembered from the County Away match it would have been the fact it was played on a Sunday afternoon and that Ton Ritchie was denied a penalty. It has always been in my mind. It happened right in front of me. How the ref said no pen was amazing. Tom was in the middle of a crowded box and had the ball ready to bang into the back of the net. All of a sudden he was hacked down by a County player to his right (our left). 

Maybe we should start a thread entitled Name 2 things you remember a certain game For. 

Remember it well. So ****ing incensed, I tried to look up Norman Glover in the phone book, so that I could give him my opinion directly. He must have been ex-directory (like most refs)

7 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

And not forgetting County got a penalty when Rachid Harkouk went down like he`d been shot outside the box.

If ever there was a game where I genuinely felt we`d been deliberately cheated out of a win it was that one - don`t forget County were a Div 1 team at the time. Half the reason we were so bad in the replay was we`d had the stuffing knocked out of us up there.

43 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

14,000 odd for a Bristol derby seems low? Presumably eastville was still around at that point. Thought it had a higher capacity than that

Eastville had a major fire in 1980 (it destroyed their trophy room and other stand) hence the capacity.

54 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

14,000 odd for a Bristol derby seems low? Presumably eastville was still around at that point. Thought it had a higher capacity than that

that probably was the capacity due to the side stand being burnt down a few years earlier plus crowds were at an all time low around those days............

If ever there was a game where I genuinely felt we`d been deliberately cheated out of a win it was that one -

RRH, I can't think of any other match. Deliberate or not, it was a shocking decision. Tom went mental......as did every City fan. We all expected a penalty to be awarded. It was do near the final whistle as well.

1 minute ago, archie andrews said:

city had at least 4000 there that day....anyone remember if the game was all ticket or pay on day?

All ticket.

I have my stub somewhere. HTV news mentioned someone from South America flew over for the game. Can't remember which team he supported.

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

city had at least 4000 there that day....anyone remember if the game was all ticket or pay on day?

Definitely sold out in advance. I got my ticket from a Rovers fan who worked with my mum, so I was stood on my own in the south enclosure to watch the game. Made sure I stood at the far right hand end of the terrace so as to be next to the City contingent. It seemed like a good compromise, but despite the fantastic result, my day was not entirely trouble-free.

First I came under fire from missiles thrown from one or two overly spirited young scamps on the Muller Road end. Those crazy kids. Then even more inconveniently, Martyn Hirst scored a late winner. Now I know you're meant to keep quiet with your head down when in the enemy's home end, but you try NOT celebrating a goal in those circumstances. I couldn't help myself, but luckily the nice policemen came to my rescue and I escaped the kicking that I probably deserved.

Happy days.

Archived