IGNORED

Could / should away fans sit in another stand?

reddogkev

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I'd love the thought of the Atyeo being just a home end, and have been wondering if this would be possible.

Yes, as it stands it would be a logistical nightmare to change things around, but would it be possible?  I can see only 2 options for a new placement of the away fans, either the Atyeo end of the Lansdown, or the Atyeo end blocks of the Dolman.  I would opt for the Lansdown as it almost seems criminal and highly dangerous to imagine away fans in the Dolman.

Could away fans be safely segregated in the Lansdown stand?  It is probable that some new construction work would have to take place within the inner concourse, but I'm sure this would be an option.

Imagine the Atyeo stand as a full red wall of noise and City songs.  Could be a standing block for example.

Any random thoughts on the matter?

35 minutes ago, miser said:

Ever been in the Lansdown concourse - it ain't an option - all facilities in the centre. Of course we could always evict the players from their bit at the away end and then kick out the corporate seating.

There is the facility to have away fans in top tier purely because of fa cup games where they’d get a percentage higher than the atyeo holds 

Definitely. Most of the time the Atyeo looks half-empty, which, for people in other areas of the ground, diminishes the atmosphere somewhat. This isn't helped by the fact that a large section of the Upper Lansdown is sometimes kept empty.

My solution would be to stick the away fans in that part of the Upper Lansdown. Doing that would have several benefits:

1) You wouldn't be able to hear them so much

2) They couldn't intimidate our strikers when we're attacking towards the Atyeo

3) They won't go home thinking AG has rubbish facilities

4) We can then fill the Atyeo with families by offering super-duper cheapo tickets. We'd fill the whole end, improve the atmosphere and accumulate lots of new, young fans. Everyone's a winner! 

47 minutes ago, The_Don said:

Think the setup we have now is fine, Away fans in the most rundown stand with a rubbish view, well unless you prefer the view from behind the goal.

I don't get this with the Atyeo stand. Sat behind the goal, with a great view, good atmosphere, catering facilities excellent. Now in SS and would move back to my seat in the Atyeo in a heartbeat. Also, compared with some away venues is positively luxurious.

15 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Definitely. Most of the time the Atyeo looks half-empty, which, for people in other areas of the ground, diminishes the atmosphere somewhat. This isn't helped by the fact that a large section of the Upper Lansdown is sometimes kept empty.

My solution would be to stick the away fans in that part of the Upper Lansdown. Doing that would have several benefits:

1) You wouldn't be able to hear them so much

2) They couldn't intimidate our strikers when we're attacking towards the Atyeo

3) They won't go home thinking AG has rubbish facilities

4) We can then fill the Atyeo with families by offering super-duper cheapo tickets. We'd fill the whole end, improve the atmosphere and accumulate lots of new, young fans. Everyone's a winner! 

How would it encourage people by putting them in a stand with rubbish facilities. One of the attractions to new punters is the facilities in the upgraded part of the stadium.

52 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

There is the facility to have away fans in top tier purely because of fa cup games where they’d get a percentage higher than the atyeo holds 

There is no separate access to the top tier. You enter to the lower concourse and then take stairs up to upper level.

Whether it's logistically possible at AG I don't know but there is definitely a trend for clubs to reclaim both ends for home fans and put away fans out the way on the side or up high.

Villa, Newcastle, Everton and Norwich spring to mind.

They believe having home support behind both goals and away fans in an area where they can less directly impact on events increases their home advantage.

I agree with them, and if we can move the away fans to somewhere less conspicuous then we should do just that.

I guess, if the Atyeo is ever redeveloped, away fans would have that corner and the rest would be home supporters. That would be ideal as they're out of the way and we would have home fans at either end.

Whether we're ever going to redevelop that end is another matter. I keep hearing rumours but never anything (excuse the pun) concrete.

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Whether it's logistically possible at AG I don't know but there is definitely a trend for clubs to reclaim both ends for home fans and put away fans out the way on the side or up high.

I don't think it's logistically possible at AG for now, though I'd be in favour of sticking them to the corner of the Atyeo unless they specifically need a full allocation.

Even if they have the whole stand, unless they're going to use it, why not even net off the front 10 rows of the entire Atyeo, and make them sit as far back as possible, it wouldn't amount to much but mentally it'd create a perception of distance between supporters and players and give the impression only City surround the pitch.

Regarding the trend for other grounds, in addition to your examples I actually posted this in the thread after the Wolves game bemoaning the allocation given to the away fans:

Incidentally, there aren't many grounds anymore where away fans have the full with of an end AND right at pitch level uninterrupted. From memory only Sheffield United, Reading, Bolton, Burton, Brentford, and Preston. Meanwhile: Sheff Wed (upper tier), Sunderland (upper tier), QPR (upper tier), Millwall (upper tier), Barnsley (upper tier), Hull (corner), Cardiff (corner), Fulham (corner), Forest (corner), Birmingham (corner), Middlesbro (corner), Wolves (side), Norwich (side corner), Ipswich (side corner), Derby (side corner), Leeds (side corner), Villa (side corner). Get in the prem and as we saw last year (Newcastle) or next month (Man City) you're up in the gods.

15 minutes ago, Olé said:

I don't think it's logistically possible at AG for now, though I'd be in favour of sticking them to the corner of the Atyeo unless they specifically need a full allocation.

Even if they have the whole stand, unless they're going to use it, why not even net off the front 10 rows of the entire Atyeo, and make them sit as far back as possible, it wouldn't amount to much but mentally it'd create a perception of distance between supporters and players and give the impression only City surround the pitch.

Regarding the trend for other grounds, in addition to your examples I actually posted this in the thread after the Wolves game bemoaning the allocation given to the away fans:

Two good, easily workable and simple ideas. We really do need to step up our 'marginal gains' - working together as a club and fans and working against the opposition. Stop being so nice to them. Tomorrow we will no doubt be packed away in the corner on our own by CCFC. They'll do this as they know it will help their team - reducing the away crowd effect on the home team and keeping them away from the pitch as far as possible. We need to start reciprocating this treatment to those away fans that come to the Gate. It's easy wins.  

2 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

How would it encourage people by putting them in a stand with rubbish facilities. One of the attractions to new punters is the facilities in the upgraded part of the stadium.

I'm talking about if it's CHEAP cheap. Like a tenner a ticket or something - better that than having empty seats. And it's not like the facilities are THAT bad. 

I believe the FA or the League, or some other authority wants away fans behind one goal to create atmosphere (or look good on TV?).

I've noticed in recent years that tossing the coin to decide kick off or choice of ends seems to be a thing of the past. In most if not all televised games, teams are kicking towards their own fans in the 2nd half. Winning goals are usually scored then, so it looks good if the fans behind that goal are seen to celebrate.

Conversely though, a few years ago P'boro' built a new stand at the end away fans used to stand at. That was allocated to home fans only. Away fans are accommodated in one of the side stands, the same side as the camera gantry, so visiting fans may be heard, but are not seen in televised games at London Road.

Not that long a go that the Atyeo was the home end and it was hardly a cauldron of noise why would it be any different now, if you tuck say 1500 away fans in a small corner they would probably make more noise than 1500 spread across a 4000 odd seated stand, at the end of the day I don't think we have enough of the type of fans that would make both ends intimidating and I think the atmosphere on a good day is far better in the redeveloped AG, most used to moan about the acoustics of the Atyeo stand, the acoustics are fine if there are enough people making the noise.

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Villa, Newcastle, Everton and Norwich spring to mind.

They believe having home support behind both goals and away fans in an area where they can less directly impact on events increases their home advantage.

I agree with them, and if we can move the away fans to somewhere less conspicuous then we should do just that.

Yes, we’ve both been saying this for ages. I refuse to believe having away fans behind a goal does not give them a % advantage. We either totally believe in the marginal gains thing or we don’t.

The atmosphere has suffered without the needle and interaction from our ‘singing section’ being near the away fans.

11 hours ago, Ashtonboy said:

I don't get this with the Atyeo stand. Sat behind the goal, with a great view, good atmosphere, catering facilities excellent. Now in SS and would move back to my seat in the Atyeo in a heartbeat. Also, compared with some away venues is positively luxurious.

I’m simply comparing it with the other three stands in our ground, it’s the most inferior now by some way, no debate it’s better than a few grounds in The Championship but that wasn’t the discussion.

Archived