IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Radio Bristol interview

RedNight

Disappointing day today. I think Johnson got it wrong today. But I encourage anyone to listen to his post match interview on Radio Bristol. 

Fascinating interview. Absolutely no doubt he is the guy for us moving forward. 

Everyone is slamming him for 'tactics' today. But he is adamant he did not ask that from his team today. 

Told his team post match to believe in our style or you won't be here.

He will take responsibility for them playing the way he wants them to if it goes wrong. But won't take responsibility for playing the way we did today. 

Quite easy to hammer the manager after a performance like that. But clearly the players got sucked into Cardiff style, rather than Johnson demanding long ball. 

But yeh, please have a listen. Brilliant interview considering we just lost 

3 minutes ago, RedNight said:

Disappointing day today. I think Johnson got it wrong today. But I encourage anyone to listen to his post match interview on Radio Bristol. 

Everyone is slamming him for 'tactics' today. But he is adamant he did not ask that from his team today. 

He will take responsibility for them playing the way he wants them to if it goes wrong. But won't take responsibility for playing the way we did today. 

Quite easy to hammer the manager after a performance like that. But clearly the players got sucked into Cardiff style, rather than Johnson demanding long ball. 

As NW says. Lee and his dad talk a good game. Look I'd rather personally not listen to PR or interviews. 3 points does the talking. 

2 minutes ago, RedNight said:

Agree with most of that I heard what he had to say.

One thing that worries me is that it's a lot harder to do with 4 big center backs in the side.

2 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

As NW says. Lee and his dad talk a good game. Look I'd rather personally not listen to PR or interviews. 3 points does the talking. 

It's amazing how players go under the radar when thing go wrong. And it's manager , manager , manager. 

But when things are all good, the players are the heroes. 

Clearly LJ didn't demand the style of play today? Why would he? After what's worked so well for us this year. 

He shouldn't of played Reid in midfield. But the players didn't help themselves. Treated the ball like a hot potatoe.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Is it a worry he couldnt get his team to carry out his instructions?

Not today. We clearly got sucked in to Cardiffs style. Which most teams do. Hence their league position 

85% of this season we've been great, not gunna ridicule them on the odd occasion we have a poor game! 1 win in 11 is pretty poor. But I have faith 

This suggests different:

https://twitter.com/bcfctweets/status/967771343642128385

"I picked a team to stand up to physical duels"

Ultimately actions speak louder than words and playing with 4 big centre backs and 2 absolute units in Diony and Famara upfront means that in all likelihood, it ain't gonna be a pretty performance.

So, I'm afraid I'm calling bullshit if he really was trying to claim that the plan was to play our usual style. Even if it was, then he clearly picked the wrong personnel to implement it. 

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This suggests different:

https://twitter.com/bcfctweets/status/967771343642128385

Ultimately actions speak louder than words and playing with 4 big centre backs and 2 absolute units in Diony and Famara upfront means that in all likelihood, it ain't gonna be a pretty performance.

SO, I'm afraid I'm calling bullshit if he really was trying to claim that the plan was to play our usual style. Even if it was, then he clearly picked the wrong personnel to implement it. 

We picked a team to be more physical. That doesn't mean we chuck out the window what's been working so well for us.. 

Playing Reid and Smith in central mid was the wrong call. But it's hardly a tactic to suggest he wanted us lumping it. Instead, probably wanted us to play through middle 

2 minutes ago, RedNight said:

We picked a team to be more physical. That doesn't mean we chuck out the window what's been working so well for us.. 

Playing Reid and Smith in central mid was the wrong call. But it's hardly a tactic to suggest he wanted us lumping it. Instead, probably wanted us to play through middle 

Sorry, but it's just an inevitability that when you have two centre-backs playing at RB and LB and you have two lumps up top that the ball is going to get pumped forward. Wright and Magnússon's distribution on the deck is suspect and sure enough Mags in particular hit ineffectual cross-field long balls time and time again.

18 minutes ago, RedNight said:

"Believe in our style"

Then take our top scorer, and arguably our engine in the final third....and play him in a different role

Bullshit. He got it wrong...again

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

"Believe in our style"

Then take our top scorer, and arguably our engine in the final third....and play him in a different role

Agreed. I bet the players will be happy that he's not taking any responsibility either! I really don't think it was their fault today...

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sorry, but it's just an inevitability that when you have two centre-backs playing at RB and LB and you have two lumps up top that the ball is going to get pumped forward. Wright and Magnússon's distribution on the deck is suspect and sure enough Mags in particular hit ineffectual cross-field long balls time and time again.

If that wasn't the instructions, then that's on the players. I think that's Johnsons point. 

Anyway, didn't post this for a slanging match. Just wanted others to have a listen as I found it interesting.

Johnson got parts of the set up wrong today. But the players hardly helped precedings. Just bad day at office 

4 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

"Believe in our style"

Yeh I think that was the wrong move too. But genuinely think that was a motive to get our best ball playing player on the ball more to keep it out the air. 

Instead it nullified Reid. 

Our strikers were poor today (hold up play), which didn't let any of our other players get into game 

I think he certainly got a few things wrong today, Reid being the main one. But it was 1-0 and against the team 2nd in the league. With the games coming up there is a real opportunity to put things right imo. Wish people would just keep a little more faith, that is if they WANT to? mmm

23 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

It's totally incredible the air of happiness around every post at the moment, it feels like you would have been near suicidal if your hero had lost today.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I think he certainly got a few things wrong today, Reid being the main one. But it was 1-0 and against the team 2nd in the league. With the games coming up there is a real opportunity to put things right imo. Wish people would just keep a little more faith, that is if they WANT to? mmm

Exactly. 20% of fans still have agendas from last season. 

We are 6th in the league after nearly getting relegated and people are telling Johnson to 'be careful' 

It's laughable. 

Same back four as we have had for a lot of the season. Difficult to press Cardiff as the ball does not stay in their half very long which lead to the scrappy head tennis that went on at times. We had to match them physically and without Pack the side seemed a good one for that task. Had Pack not been suspended am sure Reid would have played further forward. At the end of the day we lost not because of anything other than a mistake at the back where BW was muscled off the ball. A foul could easily have been given but wasn't and they scored. We had chances but few and our set piece delivery was poor today. The latter is nothing to do with tactics or selection simply poor execution. A long way to go and we are still in 6th and still looking up rather than down.

24 minutes ago, RedNight said:

I can't wait till Pisano is back. Will make a massive difference I think!

Pisano is a better full back than Wright, no doubt , but he is not so much better that it will make a huge difference to our results. Wright will be dropped when Eros comes back and I don't see a massive plus in that. 

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well Wright been the first choice right back since Pisano's been out, and with Pack unavailable he's hardly going to be playing Smith or Brownhill there, certainly after the recent failed experiments. Mags had a good game on Wednesday and with Bryan being poor at LB recently the back four practically picked itself. It shows our shortcomings sure, and you can question how we're got to that position, but I think the defence was the least controversial part of the team.

He never really has taken responsibility when it goes wrong and even when he has its always partial responsibilty. It was one of the things that really bugged me last season. Though he always seems happy to take credit when it goes right. You cant have it both ways im afraid. 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So he tried to play a passing game with Diedhiou playing behind Diony? What did he expect? Diedhiou to take the ball on the half turn and trick his way into space like Bobby would in that position,. and feed the flanks that had no one there because we had no one out wide. No wonder they hit it long all game. 

Indeed, Fammy was shockingly bad, lost almost every ball played up to him. I'm sure we would have fared much better with Fammy ahead of Diony, and Diony receiving those passes, actually felt a bit sorry for Diony because he got no service at all. Really poor tactics and that has to be down to LJ however much he tries to blame the players.

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Indeed, Fammy was shockingly bad, lost almost every ball played up to him. I'm sure we would have fared much better with Fammy ahead of Diony, and Diony receiving those passes, actually felt a bit sorry for Diony because he got no service at all. Really poor tactics and that has to be down to LJ however much he tries to blame the players.

"Deidhou lost every ball and was shockingly bad"

How does that come down to Johnson. If dududu played like he did against Fulham, it's probably a different game 

3 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Tactically, you have to admit LJ is being found out by better tacticians (managers) in this league. It has happened on numerous occasions. We will win some also, but you have to admit that he does get it wrong quite often.

We've lost 8 this season you whopper out of 34 games. 

"We will win some also" - my god this fan base is a joke 

42 minutes ago, RedNight said:

It's amazing how players go under the radar when thing go wrong. And it's manager , manager , manager. 

But when things are all good, the players are the heroes. 

Clearly LJ didn't demand the style of play today? Why would he? After what's worked so well for us this year. 

He shouldn't of played Reid in midfield. But the players didn't help themselves. Treated the ball like a hot potatoe.

Yeh , but he picked Diony to play - and based on all that we've seen so far, he clearly ain't good enough.

If you take the job and the salary, you take the responsibility and have to be accountable.

He'll get praise when we win and play well, and he get brickbats when we lose and play sh*te.

There's no hiding place.

Archived