IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Radio Bristol interview

RedNight

21 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Tactically, you have to admit LJ is being found out by better tacticians (managers) in this league. It has happened on numerous occasions. We will win some also, but you have to admit that he does get it wrong quite often.

Yet strangely no side currently in the top five, (presumably they are the ones who have the best managers?), has beaten us both home & away.

We got a point at Wolves, beat Cardiff at home, drew with Villa and took 4 points off Derby & Fulham.

Outside the top six we won at Sheff U & beat Middlesbrough, too.

I am very pleased with this years’ improvement but can never (as my post history would definitely show) exactly be accused of being LJ’s biggest fan.

What you say is shown by the above to be absolute total bollocks, though..

If he didn’t ask them to play like that why didn’t he change it at half time??

if he didn’t want to play like that why did he wait for us to be losing before making subs?? 

Bullshit. That’s how he wanted to play. He wanted to match Colin and that’s what he done. He bottled it and got it wrong. 

58 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agreed. I bet the players will be happy that he's not taking any responsibility either! I really don't think it was their fault today...

That’s not quite right. The Manager didn’t ask Brownhill to shit out of the tackle leading up to their winner. Players not quite 100% blameless!!

1 hour ago, RedNight said:

If that wasn't the instructions, then that's on the players. I think that's Johnsons point. 

Anyway, didn't post this for a slanging match. Just wanted others to have a listen as I found it interesting.

Johnson got parts of the set up wrong today. But the players hardly helped precedings. Just bad day at office 

You missed out the word 'another'

Interesting comparison here, we often talk about Johnson being young & inexperienced. Possibly at times that is too easy of an excuse.

Lee Johnson managerial games managed = 265

Gary Rowett managerial games managed = 294

Not a huge difference by all means. Anyone know what Derby fans say regarding Rowett? When things perhaps haven't gone right, do they put it down to lack of experience in management? Rowett does show at the moment he has more about him as a Head Coach/Manager than LJ currently does. Times can change however. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Yet strangely no side currently in the top five, (presumably they are the ones who have the best managers?), has beaten us both home & away.

We got a point at Wolves, beat Cardiff at home, drew with Villa and took 4 points off Derby & Fulham.

Outside the top six we won at Sheff U & beat Middlesbrough, too.

I am very pleased with this years’ improvement but can never (as my post history would definitely show) exactly be accused of being LJ’s biggest fan.

What you say is shown by the above to be absolute total bollocks, though..

Awful team selection today though! Got it completely wrong.  Just a bad day at the office!

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sorry, but it's just an inevitability that when you have two centre-backs playing at RB and LB and you have two lumps up top that the ball is going to get pumped forward. Wright and Magnússon's distribution on the deck is suspect and sure enough Mags in particular hit ineffectual cross-field long balls time and time again.

I would disagree - we have played mags and BW at fullback and played our style of football plenty of times this season. And in more physically demanding games we often have JB in front of mags. Of the 2 lumps up front, Diedhiou plays every game he is fit. And from what I can find out about him (despite his physique) Diony is not a forward to lump the ball too. Watch any of his highlight reels and he is someone who likes the ball to feet and to drift in from wide positions. If you listen to the interview that OSIB managed to get with a French football expert (before he had even played for us) he makes it quite clear he is not that type of forward. 

All of that + the fact that LJ was quite happy taking responsibility for getting it wrong a few weeks ago, suggests he is telling the truth in the interview. 

10 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

I would disagree - we have played mags and BW at fullback and played our style of football plenty of times this season. And in more physically demanding games we often have JB in front of mags. Of the 2 lumps up front, Diedhiou plays every game he is fit. And from what I can find out about him (despite his physique) Diony is not a forward to lump the ball too. Watch any of his highlight reels and he is someone who likes the ball to feet and to drift in from wide positions. If you listen to the interview that OSIB managed to get with a French football expert (before he had even played for us) he makes it quite clear he is not that type of forward. 

All of that + the fact that LJ was quite happy taking responsibility for getting it wrong a few weeks ago, suggests he is telling the truth in the interview. 

Not heard the interview, but have to assume then that he was let down by the team today then? Surprised if that is the case? But not sure if that is a correct assumption? January transfer window has not delivered what was hoped though. 

Really sorry but "bad day at office" is piss poor excuse. If your job is to manage a squad of players pick the strongest team suited to beat an opposition who's tactics you should well be aware of and you keep getting it wrong, sorry but that's just bad management, naivety or stupidity. 

LJ can take the blame, shirk the blame etc, end of the day or season buck stops with him. 

Oh and Korey Smith should be captain.

Totally wrong going to Cardiff and trying to play the Cardiff way. 
We had an identity the way we were playing which made us proud which we are now losing as the little **** keeps swapping it about. Just as well lose trying to play football rather than lose playing like we did. Fed up with lee now. Not because we lost but because of the way he's now playing. 

3 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

Interesting comparison here, we often talk about Johnson being young & inexperienced. Possibly at times that is too easy of an excuse.

Lee Johnson managerial games managed = 265

Gary Rowett managerial games managed = 294

Not a huge difference by all means. Anyone know what Derby fans say regarding Rowett? When things perhaps haven't gone right, do they put it down to lack of experience in management? Rowett does show at the moment he has more about him as a Head Coach/Manager than LJ currently does. Times can change however. 

Derby fans wanted him out when we battered them earlier in the season 

1 hour ago, Singingsuperstar said:

Really sorry but "bad day at office" is piss poor excuse. If your job is to manage a squad of players pick the strongest team suited to beat an opposition who's tactics you should well be aware of and you keep getting it wrong, sorry but that's just bad management, naivety or stupidity. 

LJ can take the blame, shirk the blame etc, end of the day or season buck stops with him. 

Oh and Korey Smith should be captain.

Results have been poor since Boxing Day. Not good enough 

6 hours ago, RedNight said:

Exactly. 20% of fans still have agendas from last season. 

We are 6th in the league after nearly getting relegated and people are telling Johnson to 'be careful' 

It's laughable. 

20%? You’ve obviously researched our entire fan base to come to such a precise figure....can you share the research results with us?

6 hours ago, RedNight said:

Disappointing day today. I think Johnson got it wrong today. But I encourage anyone to listen to his post match interview on Radio Bristol. 

Fascinating interview. Absolutely no doubt he is the guy for us moving forward. 

Everyone is slamming him for 'tactics' today. But he is adamant he did not ask that from his team today. 

Told his team post match to believe in our style or you won't be here.

He will take responsibility for them playing the way he wants them to if it goes wrong. But won't take responsibility for playing the way we did today. 

Quite easy to hammer the manager after a performance like that. But clearly the players got sucked into Cardiff style, rather than Johnson demanding long ball. 

But yeh, please have a listen. Brilliant interview considering we just lost 

6 hours ago, RedDave said:

Is it a worry he couldnt get his team to carry out his instructions?

Been a few times this season now where he said this, bit worrying tbh

29 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

20%? You’ve obviously researched our entire fan base to come to such a precise figure....can you share the research results with us?

It's probably higher to be fair. I assume you're part of that percentage? Considering you got offended by it..

5 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Been a few times this season now where he said this, bit worrying tbh

Really? He's generally taken the heat off the players or taken the blame himself? 

I can't remember him saying it this year? Last year, yes. But quite rightly

2 minutes ago, RedNight said:

It's probably higher to be fair. I assume you're part of that percentage? Considering you got offended by it..

I’m not ‘offended’ just don’t like people on here claiming to know what our entire fan base thinks about any given subject....only a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of our fans come on here, so how you think you know what all of our fans think is just laughable....

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m not ‘offended’ just don’t like people on here claiming to know what our entire fan base thinks about any given subject....only a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of our fans come on here, so how you think you know what all of our fans think is just laughable....

It's a sample population of our entire fan base though, no? And it's just a rough figure from what I've seen on here. 

Lee alluded to the fact that he thought one or two bottled challenges in the build up to their goal. In all honesty, as a manager, what can you do about that other than point it out and hope they take heed?

I thought johnson's interview was OK

I didn't like taking Bobby out of his usual role, thought that was big today.

But move on, just move on

3 minutes ago, RedNight said:

It's a sample population of our entire fan base though, no? And it's just a rough figure from what I've seen on here. 

Ok, fair enough, so you think 20% of less than 1% of our fan base have the same view....so, hardly anyone then. Anyway, it’s sunday night, no need for this. Have a good week mate...

Naive of Johnson to think the players picked could keep hold of the ball-none of that back 5 are good on the ball, Smith and Bryan can be hit and miss and the front 2 are hardly hold up merchants.  Imo he was playing for a 0-0 and maybe trying to nick a set piece goal. Can’t blame him for that as we didn’t have pack and patison is missing in action again! 

18 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Naive of Johnson to think the players picked could keep hold of the ball-none of that back 5 are good on the ball, Smith and Bryan can be hit and miss and the front 2 are hardly hold up merchants.  Imo he was playing for a 0-0 and maybe trying to nick a set piece goal. Can’t blame him for that as we didn’t have pack and patison is missing in action again! 

Smith hit and miss?? 

Hmmmm. One of the most consistent players we have. Should be captain ahead of Crocodile Dundee at Right back. 

34 minutes ago, RedNight said:

I really don't think that OTIB has ever been closely aligned with the majority of fans who go to BS3 week in week out. Last season was probably the best example of this where there was intensive spleen venting to the point of vindictive character assassination. Turn up to the ground and its largely business as usual- no mass protests or boycotts etc. Some of the biggest critics don't actually attend matches.

Archived