IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Wasn’t there a home game under McInnes (I have Watford in mind for some reason) that was called off about quarter of an hour before kick off?

There was, but to be fair it was the correct decision....I was literally soaked to the skin walking to the stadium, relentless downpour that just wouldn’t stop, the ball wouldn’t have rolled at all on that pitch...

7 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

I remember around 1992/3 we lost one with freezing rain. Was treacherous. Not seen anything like it before or since. 

Surely there's one more recent. 

Remember sliding all the way down hazelbury road and coming to a stop, parallel to the curb outside the Imperial Ground.  Couldn’t have "parked" my car better had I tried....except I was on double yellows!  God knows why I decided to take a back road, down a hill?

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Remember sliding all the way down hazelbury road and coming to a stop, parallel to the curb outside the Imperial Ground.  Couldn’t have "parked" my car better had I tried....except I was on double yellows!  God knows why I decided to take a back road, down a hill?

You did well. I couldn't get to my car to drive to the ground as I kept falling over. 

7 minutes ago, BcfcDuncs said:

Still looking bad or if not worse now for thursday/Friday.  If it comes off I think the game will be in real doubt I'm guessing 

Yes, it’s not usually the pitches that get matches called off, lower league and Gas apart, but the surrounding areas. 

I know in December a gig was called off in Brum when they had the snow, just hours before it was due to start. The group were there and had set up, some fans were there but as the police advised not to travel in the area unless necessary the whole thing was cancelled. 

19 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Anyone know when we last had a postponement due to cold weather?

Not sure of the match may have been Cardiff ( about 15 years ago) but pretty sure  it was an early kickoff , the previous nights temperature was -6c and the pitch had been covered.

Parking up in Duckmoor Road only to find out on the radio that the match was postponed.

Ring a bell with anyone or is this all some bad dream

2 hours ago, BcfcDuncs said:

Still looking bad or if not worse now for thursday/Friday.  If it comes off I think the game will be in real doubt I'm guessing 

Yeh that's what I'm thinking, with bad weather forecast for Thursday and Friday, no worries about playing surface, it's the surrounding areas ie car park etc,

Why do people get so dramatic about the weather?

The headlines in the news etc are laughable this week

At present nothing has hit the Bristol area, places around it have had snow and life is carrying on. The roads will get gritted and cleared, the pitch will be ok

The only problem is if the stands become slippery, it is hardly an armageddon scenario

2 minutes ago, BcfcDuncs said:

It will be hit tomorrow.  Of course pitch will be fine . But with potentially two days of snow and freezing conditions the snow won't go away for few days . Surrounding area will be a concern for fans 

Exactly - it's not about the pitch, it's about the surrounding areas and the ability for fans from far and wide to make it to the game.

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Why do people get so dramatic about the weather?

The headlines in the news etc are laughable this week

At present nothing has hit the Bristol area, places around it have had snow and life is carrying on. The roads will get gritted and cleared, the pitch will be ok

The only problem is if the stands become slippery, it is hardly an armageddon scenario

We haven’t had any severe weather down this way yet, but, perhaps you had best look at the latest weather forecasts for the West Country!

Thursday pm onwards, blizzards, freezing rain.................. then even worse on Friday.

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

We haven’t had any severe weather down this way yet, but, perhaps you had best look at the latest weather forecasts for the West Country!

Thursday pm onwards, blizzards, freezing rain.................. then even worse on Friday.

Thursday am onwards on some weather stations now.  'Risk of blizzard conditions' on Thursday afternoon.  My workplace is already making contingency plans for evacuation/closure.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

No offence, but there are those of us that have been hit by the beast already and are continuing as normal

38 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

No offence, but there are those of us that have been hit by the beast already and are continuing as normal

Ultimately though, even if the game in on, many of us live where it would be lethal to even attempt to get to Bristol.  Which is a shame, but that's life.

Given the opposition I would imagine there would be an inspection Friday lunchtime IF there was any risk to the game.

If the weather does what is currently forecast it is likely that the surrounding areas of the ground will be a concern, I would imagine the USH will be on and would be able to cope with everything bar extreme snow.

I imagine the Wednesday team will travel on Friday as we would if we were playing up there so I don`t think there will be a decision before they do. The authorities won`t want their fans travelling unnecessarily (I imagine they will bring their normal sizeable following) though so we ought to hear something earlyish on Saturday morning if there`s any doubt.

4 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

No offence taken, I’m just replying to a post and stating what’s on its way. 

Basically making the point that our game on Saturday may well be postponed.

Archived