IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe I'm misreading but you decided or your company did? Unless of course...

Ha lucky you (though very prudent). You must be a manager or above?

#Thejoysofbeingtheboss

Seriously it's really not that bad, I can walk home as I walked to work. If people commute from elsewhere, that's when it gets tricky I guess.

I’m a contractor (Director of my one man limited company), but contracted to Nationwide in Swindon.  There was no official stance from them, but as their laptops can be used at home via VPN, "we’ made an "executive call"!!

The car park was pretty slippery underfoot.

5 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Sorry to be the voice of doom but there is not a cat in hells chance of the game being on.

With 2 days of extreme weather predicted for our area it is not a realistic possibility for snow ice etc to thaw overnight on Friday and be back to normal for a Saturday kick off.

The authorities would just not take the chance -freezing rain is even being bandied about for Saturday on some reports.

Only ever encountered that once and fell over from  my front door to the street it is extremely dangerous.

Ha ! I did exactly the same. Early '00's if I recall ?

Edit : just seen earlier post, '95/'96

This Country is a joke when it comes to a bit of snow...having lived in Canada in minus 40 with 15 foot of snow, we still went about our daily lives with no problems.

Even a Dry Slope Ski Centre shut today for snow...wtf!!!...you couldn't make it up...only in Britain.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m a contractor (Director of my one man limited company), but contracted to Nationwide in Swindon.  There was no official stance from them, but as their laptops can be used at home via VPN, "we’ made an "executive call"!!

The car park was pretty slippery underfoot.

Seems pretty sensible. Swindon to Bristol is a bit of a commute in this weather.

Otoh, in big picture, @spudski isn't wrong about a bit of snow and things grinding to a halt in the UK.

Yaay- 5pm finish because of snow.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seems pretty sensible. Swindon to Bristol is a bit of a commute in this weather.

Otoh, in big picture, @spudski isn't wrong about a bit of snow and things grinding to a halt in the UK.

Yaay- 5pm finish because of snow.

Spud is probably skiing to work

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

This Country is a joke when it comes to a bit of snow...having lived in Canada in minus 40 with 15 foot of snow, we still went about our daily lives with no problems.

Even a Dry Slope Ski Centre shut today for snow...wtf!!!...you couldn't make it up...only in Britain.

It's true but probably because we rarely see it.

Vehicles rarely have winter tyres, nobody has snow chains and studded tyres are illegal.  It is not a surprise we grind to a halt especially when a bit of snow drops onto roads which are virtually gridlocked most of the time anyway.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If this is about purely the football, apologies.

If it's snow in general, well has anyone been sent home from work yet??

I haven't, but someone I know has.

Yep, sent home at 10-30 this morning as the site has been closed for today and tomorrow. Typical MOD place, H&S gone mental  

Journey home from Reading on M4 was easier than usual as it was quite empty, wouldn’t like to try it right now though  

Unfortunately as a contractor I don’t get paid for time off. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

That’s because snow is a part of daily life in Canada. It’s not here.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That’s because snow is a part of daily life in Canada. It’s not here.

We get snow every year...and every year we grind to a halt. It's a yearly but not daily...however we still react like we've never seen it before.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

We get snow every year...and every year we grind to a halt. It's a yearly but not daily...however we still react like we've never seen it before.

The difference is though that countries like Canada and Norway that get it for months on end can justify spending millions on the equipment to deal with it. Can we just for the odd week each year?

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

The difference is though that countries like Canada and Norway that get it for months on end can justify spending millions on the equipment to deal with it. Can we just for the odd week each year?

I suppose it depends on how much money is lost when it does snow and effects businesses etc

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Every year?! My son is 7 and this is only the second time he’s seen proper snow like this. It’s rare, and that’s why it’s understandable that we aren’t well equipped to deal with it.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So if this game is off because of roads, won't every single game be off in the country? 

Could well be a lot more off. it`s unusual for Saturday games to be called off on Thursday so it is serious.

Just seen pictures of the closed M5 at Exeter on Westcountry News and I have never seen anything like that before.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Could well be a lot more off. it`s unusual for Saturday games to be called off on Thursday so it is serious.

Just seen pictures of the closed M5 at Exeter on Westcountry News and I have never seen anything like that before.

Tis practically arctic here in east devon - well over half a foot, will be a foot and over the way tis going

4 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Tis practically arctic here in east devon - well over half a foot, will be a foot and over the way tis going

I`m the other side of the moor from you, Okehampton way and we`ve got a foot in our back garden already and it`s still blowing a blizzard. Whereabouts are you? 

Archived