IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's the 24hr media needing to manufacture stories and sensationalize and exaggerate every little bit of news due to having so much space to fill.

Then there's the Met.Office (which seems to be staffed predominantly by excitable youngsters) who are determined to catastrophize what are normal and natural weather occurrences with ridiculous names, 'Beast from the East etc.'

The hyperbole on our radios, TV's and the internet is increasingly childish and pathetic, and it's a daily constant reminder of the irritating dumbed downed society we now live in.

What makes this a normal weather occurance? I’m 30 and can count on one hand probably the times I’ve seen snow like this

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's the 24hr media needing to manufacture stories and sensationalize and exaggerate every little bit of news due to having so much space to fill.

Then there's the Met.Office (which seems to be staffed predominantly by excitable youngsters) who are determined to catastrophize what are normal and natural weather occurrences with ridiculous names, 'Beast from the East etc.'

The hyperbole on our radios, TV's and the internet is increasingly childish and pathetic, and it's a daily constant reminder of the irritating dumbed downed society we now live in.

This is bang on 

shops running out of milk, people calling 999 because there’s no Krap ffin chicken Christ how did we survive with rationing

5 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Wait till you're 66........then it's a normal winter (I lived through 1962-3 ) :cool:

1947 (not there) 1963 (there, but a baby) 1979 (there, remember it) 1982 (remember it even better) 1987 (seems like yesterday)

Have i missed any real buggers?

3 hours ago, lenred said:

Quite right Noggers, the sensationalism in the press and by the weather forecasters is absolutely crazy. It's pretty embarrassing. Appreciate that it may be bad for those out in the countryside but apart from that we should just crack on.  

Presumably the 100s of motorists stranded on A-roads like the ones I’m watching on the news right now also thought it would be a good idea to “just crack on”.

Not everything is sensationalism. This is a genuinely rare and extreme occurrence, particularly for the South West.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Presumably the 100s of motorists stranded on A-roads like the ones I’m watching on the news right now also thought it would be a good idea to “just crack on”.

Not everything is sensationalism. This is a genuinely rare and extreme occurrence, particularly for the South West.

Really ? I must have imagined all those harsh winters of my youth and my parents must have been lying to me when telling stories of winters before I came along. 

1 minute ago, redapple said:

Really ? I must have imagined all those harsh winters of my youth and my parents must have been lying to me when telling stories of winters before I came along. 

How old are you? I’m 34 and, like @MarcusX said above, I can’t recall many snow days quite like this. My daughter is 4.5 and this is the first time she’s seen proper snow at home.

So, yes, I’d say these days it is rare. And regardless of how common it is, does that mean everyone should just ignore the advice?

9 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I remember City playing Wednesday at Ashton Gate in the 80's/early 90's, when it snowed..and snowed..and snowed.

The tannoy crackled into life at Half Time.. for two reasons. Firstly to inform everyone that the game was abandoned. No one was overly shocked. The next announcement... "message for the Sheffield Wednesday fans....there is no way back to Sheffield". 

Wednesdays players and club officials then appeared on the pitch and made their way toward the Open End where their fans were stood shivering. To this day I've no idea of the outcome of that chat. 

I lived in Shrewsbury from 1987 until 1995.

That match was the only home game that I missed in that time. I couldn't drive the car up our sloping drive, and even if I could have, the main roads out of the town were all closed with lots of snow. Trains were all suspended and I could not find a helicopter to rent!

We didn't have electricity for the whole weekend.

6 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Weather forecast really good for Sunday. No snow and temperatures well above freezing . If postponed on Saturday ..why not play on Sunday? 

Avoids fixture congestion later in the season.

Because that would take common sense....

Being 52 I’ve seen snow plenty, I’ve driven in the Alps in blizzards. But the one thing that’s making this one different is the wind chill factor. I don’t think I can remember the others feeling this cold. 

Tomorrow we’ve got the freezing rain to look forward to as well. I thought that would be snow but they explained earlier on the uneducational news roundups. They might be too much for some but I found watching the news today interesting bit like storm chasing when they was saying it’s hit this area now it’s onto this area. 

The pitch will be fine on Saturday due to under soil heating they’ve probably got frost blankets on. But the surrounding areas could be icy. 

11 minutes ago, Stoke_Gifford_Red said:

Aren't Bristol Rugby currently scheduled to play at Ashton Gate on Sunday? 

Yeah 2pm, puts paid to that idea.... Guess we're looking at a Tuesday evening, 13th or 20th most likely.

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I take it youre  tucked up in bed  whilst business tries to carry on, in this time of everyone expects to have everything available for them when they need it. Times have changed from 40 years ago when if something wasn't available you didn't even think you wanted it.

its tough out there tonight, think of the professional drivers trying to keep the country going. Food anyone?

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If this is about purely the football, apologies.

If it's snow in general, well has anyone been sent home from work yet??

I haven't, but someone I know has.

My work closed at 1pm today ( Bridgwater), I was on the 2-10 shift and had the day off with full pay!! Happy days!

We have approx 8-9 inches of snow outside, it’s still snowing and a lot more forecast for tomorrow.

There is absolutely no chance of me getting my car off my drive, let alone off of my estate to get to Bristol for Saturday’s game. The roads are snowbound.

Its the most snow we have had since about 1981, nearly 40 years!.

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair do's mate it looks as though I've got this one wrong. Still think 2 hour programmes on it are a bit much tbh and there's only been 2 out of the last 10 years in Bristol that haven't had snow so it's not that rare am occurrence here,  but this particular bout seems to be hitting hard. 

Half of the group I go with won’t be able to get to the game or won’t risk the journey. Don’t think anyone would fancy a trip down from Sheffield either. 

If it does go ahead, the ground will be empty with an official attendance of 17,000 

The reasonable thing would be to postpone now. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Half of the group I go with won’t be able to get to the game or won’t risk the journey. Don’t think anyone would fancy a trip down from Sheffield either. 

If it does go ahead, the ground will be empty with an official attendance of 17,000 

The reasonable thing would be to postpone now. 

**** reasonable, we need 3 points! You’re right though, I can’t see any way it could be on. 

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

How old are you? I’m 34 and, like @MarcusX said above, I can’t recall many snow days quite like this. My daughter is 4.5 and this is the first time she’s seen proper snow at home.

So, yes, I’d say these days it is rare. And regardless of how common it is, does that mean everyone should just ignore the advice?

Quite true CR!   The problem is that these idiots who ignore the advice and crack on regardless,  get stuck and  put the emergency services,  who are already stressed,  at risk,  a very selfish and stupid attitude IMO.

The difference with today and earlier severe winters, even up to 1987, is that everything in our lives has changed. Back then an awful lot of people worked within walking distance of home, shopped locally as there were still village shops, you had a school in the village, a local hospital/doctors surgery, a local bobby and lots of other things like that. We even had a little two pump petrol station.

Now we have none of these things. People have to commute long distances, food has to come from hundreds of miles away by lorry and nothing is produced locally. If you need the doctor you have to get to the next town. Everything has become centralised and things have to be `issued` from a central location and delivered to where you are or you have to fetch it.

When we get an incident like this we`re ******.

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

**** reasonable, we need 3 points! You’re right though, I can’t see any way it could be on. 

We need 3 points, but you’d also agree that  “We” means the club and the fans. “We” would like to go with our friends and family when it’s safe for most of us to get there. 

Don’t fancy our chances of getting a result in a freezing cold half empty stadium either. Remember that’s what Sheffield are used to every week. 

Archived