IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

There's no more snow after this evening and tomorrow's about 5 degrees warmer, the club would be criticised if we woke up tomorrow and most of the snow had thawed and buses were running normally

That's a big if. It wont be gone by the morning.

This is an absolute disgusting, reckless and outrageous decision. 

Whilst the roads around the stadium may be ok the fact is we have 20k fans travelling from all over Bristol who live on roads that are not safe to even walk on let alone drive! 

There is some very contradictory messages coming from our club and the Police. Police saying don’t leave home unless it’s an emergency and the club are saying come on down.

As for the police they can **** right off, I’ve seen many stranded in cars because police can’t get to them and yet they are able to free up officers for a ******* football game.

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

There's no more snow after this evening and tomorrow's about 5 degrees warmer, the club would be criticised if we woke up tomorrow and most of the snow had thawed and buses were running normally

there was no hurricane on its way in 1987......  there are no guarantees with weather

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

True.  But they run the risk of calling it off at 1pm tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, italian dave said:

BBC forecast currently no more snow or rain after 11 this evening, and temperatures above freezing from 8 tomorrow, reaching a balmy 3 by kick off!

Like your glass half full attitude @italian dave but a balmy 3 will feel like -1 with the wind chill, that snow won't be going anywhere soon.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Snowing again in BS16   !

Yep, I can vouch for that.

32 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I predict a late postponement now!! 

Me too, I predict a riot :P

27 minutes ago, hodge said:

Expect the club are doing everything in their power to keep this on as they recognise now is the time to play Sheffield Wednesday given how injury hit they are and out of form.

I remember as a cricket captain where rain was hanging around.  If your team was desperate to play (needed a win, playing weaker opposition etc) and the game went ahead, you ended up losing...always seemed to end up like that.  And vice-Verma.

24 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Hold tight. It'll be off.

Yep.

17 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Damn, I just cleared all the snow on my drive so my wife can get her car out. The trouble is I piled a lot of it in front of the garage, where my car is. Looks like I will have to shift it again! :colder::doh:

I’m about to do similar.  Need to plan this....carefully!

• Admin
29 minutes ago, TRL said:

it should be called off, i would imagine lots of Wednesday fans can not get down, and fans in the southwest.  If we have been constantly told not to travel then the club should heed those warning, not base it purely because the surrounding area of the ground is okay and the pitch is playable.  Awful decision imo

As mentioned on another thread a friend of mine came down from Rotherham this morning, no problems just a few areas having to do 50mph

horrendous decision in my opinion

how can they say that the surrounding area is fine, stadium is fine, then tell people to not drive, but if they do then ''park further away from the ground and walk the rest''?!?! Or get on public transport, 99% of which have all been shut down because of the weather....?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, I can vouch for that.

Me too, I predict a riot :P

I remember as a cricket captain where rain was hanging around.  If your team was desperate to play (needed a win, playing weaker opposition etc) and the game went ahead, you ended up losing...always seemed to end up like that.  And vice-Verma.

Yep.

I’m about to do similar.  Need to plan this....carefully!

Chuck it on FR's drive, he won't know,he will think it the snow he's already moved

• Admin
4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Why, already been said they only need the main roads cleared which will not be a problem as the forecast is improving all the time now

10 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

The club can only get the pitch ready and let outside authorities decide if it’s safe and they seem to think so.

That's the point, club aren't going to call it off if police give it the all clear, club can't take fault for this decision. 

Much as I want to go, I think this is the wrong decision. There’s little chance of much of the snow melting before the match so side roads are going to be difficult for driving and parking

• Admin
1 minute ago, petehinton said:

how can they say that the surrounding area is fine, stadium is fine, then tell people to not drive, but if they do then ''park further away from the ground and walk the rest''?!?! Or get on public transport, 99% of which have all been shut down because of the weather....?

Just curious have you (or anyone) been anywhere near the ground today?

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Plus there may be a shortage of hot food and drink. Bad decision.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For us if you came off both captains had to agree to go back on which lead to a few arguments with captains not keen to go back on despite it being fine to avoid losing and getting the points for an abandonment. 

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Much as I want to go, I think this is the wrong decision. There’s little chance of much of the snow melting before the match so side roads are going to be difficult for driving and parking

A&S police made the decision not the club.

18 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Every year?! My son is 7 and this is only the second time he’s seen proper snow like this. It’s rare, and that’s why it’s understandable that we aren’t well equipped to deal with it.

Im 22 and this is only the 3rd/4th I've seen anything like this. Certainly the heaviest I can remember it being in one day.

8 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Ahh well. At least I would've hopefully got out of Saturday shopping and will no doubt be near some kind of hostelry if that's the case!

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

worst part if there is a melt, then it freezes again and the roads are covered in black ice, I see reports of temperatures rising in the afternoon, but that won't be the time that people are travelling to the match, which could make the roads and paths trickier to navigate  than if it were just snow.

We will see,last I heard there was a chance of freezing rain on Saturday which is lethal

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just curious have you (or anyone) been anywhere near the ground today?

yes, at the moment,that clearly isn't the problem area, although could be tomorrow with reports of freezing rain still being banded about

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Woke up to about 3ft of drift outside the back door (ooh err). I can’t see how on earth the game could be on tomorrow.

When latest police advice is ‘don’t use the roads’ it doesn’t bode well. 

I got similar, outside my front door it's completely flat for about 6 feet- problem is that within that 6 feet there's a drop in height of about 7-8 inches from steps and a kerb, I stepped outside and sank.

18 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Presumably if its called off later they don't have to offer refunds, like our Owls friends?

Bristol Sport website presumably this relates to one off tickets as well as SC's ? :

4 Changes to Dates, Refunds and Exchanges
4.1 No guarantees can be given by the Club that a Match will take place at a particular time or on a particular date. The Club reserves the right to reschedule any Match without notice and without any liability whatsoever. Your Season Card will enable you to attend the re-arranged Match.
4.2 The Club will have no further liability whatsoever, including (but not limited to) any indirect or consequential loss or damage, loss of enjoyment or travel/accommodation costs.
4.3 All sales are final and no refunds will be offered to supporters who wish to return their Season Card.

I won't be able to make a midweek game so thats £30 down the swanny.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A&S police made the decision not the club.

A&S police may have said they had no objections to the match being played, but that does not mean the it must be played. If there are no objections from the police the ultimate decisions rests with the club. The police can’t force a club to play a match it doesn’t want to play. 

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

For us if you came off both captains had to agree to go back on which lead to a few arguments with captains not keen to go back on despite it being fine to avoid losing and getting the points for an abandonment. 

I remember playing away at Chipping Sudbury.  I wasn’t captain, but we lost the toss and they batted.  We were a bit surprised, but soon become evident that bowling with a bar of soap (and Fielding - not Frank) was harder than batting on a wet wicket.

They raced to 125-0 after 19 overs when the rain increased and we come off.  They knew overs would be lost and perhaps mean the minimum 30 per side might not happen so suggested taking an early tea, whilst it was still raining.  Knowing we were in a shit position our captain turned around and said "no, we’ll take it at the normal time, we’ve all had a rather large lunch!"  The best bit of captaincy I ever saw from him. :P

As it happened, we never got back on the pitch and match called off.

Archived