IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

Worth bearing in mind the EFL policy for postponing games (this dates from April 2013 but there's nothing obvious to suggest it will have changed)...

With more snow on its way in the upcoming period, The Football League has re-iterated its recommended procedures with regard to early pitch inspections.

Football League Head of Communications, John Nagle, said, "Given the poor weather we are currently experiencing it is very likely that we'll see a number of games being called in the days ahead. Therefore, clubs will be doing everything they can to prevent supporters making wasted journeys to postponed fixtures."

Consequently, in instances where there is any possibility of a fixture being postponed because of bad weather, home clubs are expected to:

• Provide an early warning to The Football League that the fixture might be in doubt and seek appropriate advice;
  • Contact the visiting club at least 24 hours prior to kick-off to ascertain their travelling arrangements and to keep these in mind throughout the ensuing lead up period;
  • Contact the match referee to inform him of the situation and to make him aware that an early inspection might be required. If needed, this inspection should be made prior to the visiting club and their supporters beginning their journey;
  • Contact The Football League if they believe a very early pitch inspection is a sensible course of action (e.g. Friday for a Saturday match). In such cases The League may arrange for the inspection to be made by a local referee, with the decision made by The League, itself, based on his/her report;
  • Keep supporters informed of any changes to the status of the match through relevant news channels such as The Football League website and twitter account, Sky Sports News, Radio Five Live, TalkSPORT, the Press Association and Club websites, SMS services and social media outlets.

Whilst the responsibility for the initial action resides locally with the home team, no club may postpone a match by itself. Such a decision can only be taken by the match referee or The Football League.

Clubs are encouraged to do everything they can to get matches played and the unpredictability of the British weather may still lead to some matches being called off late in the day or even abandoned after they have begun. However, through the implementation of these procedures it is hoped that such cases can be kept to a minimum.

If A&S Police or the Safety Advisory Group don't specifically advise the EFL we must postpone the game, it appears we have no option.

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

No one is holding a gun to fans heads saying they have to attend, if you don't think its safe to attend then don't. The flip side of a comment people using, its only a football match its not life or death to attend. 

And for those who have forked out decent money for a ticket that have no way of travelling to the ground now?

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I remember playing away at Chipping Sudbury.  I wasn’t captain, but we lost the toss and they batted.  We were a bit surprised, but soon become evident that bowling with a bar of soap (and Fielding - not Frank) was harder than batting on a wet wicket.

They raced to 125-0 after 19 overs when the rain increased and we come off.  They knew overs would be lost and perhaps mean the minimum 30 per side might not happen so suggested taking an early tea, whilst it was still raining.  Knowing we were in a shit position our captain turned around and said "no, we’ll take it at the normal time, we’ve all had a rather large lunch!"  The best bit of captaincy I ever saw from him. :P

As it happened, we never got back on the pitch and match called off.

I thought you were going to say that you were a bit surprised when you lost the toss and they batted because you'd come to play football!

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Worth bearing in mind the EFL policy for postponing games (this dates from April 2013 but there's nothing obvious to suggest it will have changed)...

If A&S Police or the Safety Advisory Group don't specifically advise the EFL we must postpone the game, it appears we have no option.

Yet some will still blame the club...

20 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/update-bristol-city-v-sheffield-wednesday/

Game's on, just got to hope everyone gets to and from the ground safely and there are no accidents, would hate for peoples lives to be put at risk for the sake of a game of football

Which it will

Absolute ridiculous decision by our incompetent police force

17 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

I’m surprised at this decision but assuming they’ve gone for the Arsenal option - accepting it’ll be half empty but at least we get the match done and off the fixture list. Not really fair on the fans though. 

Yes....... the crowd will be given 21k, but in reality probs 14/15 actual bums on seats !

Have to say this is a pathetic decision. People are being told, by the police, not to drive because conditions are so bad. A football match, with 20,000 people expected, can go ahead though on the advice of the same police. 

It really is a joke. I’ve been out this morning in Keynsham and even walking around is hard work. To expect people to travel to a football match is ridiculous.

I don’t reckon there will be more than about 12k in the ground if it does go ahead. 

Stupid decision, the game should be off, I won't be risking it. Any roads bar a few main roads and motorway are treacherous. The weather in Bristol seems to be getting worse, public transport where I am has been all but cancelled. @JulieH Surely common sense should prevail. If you have elderly or children going I would seriously reconsider making that journey.

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

Side roads are bad, Talbot road ( a big hill) closed by Police going downwards ( from Broadwalk to Briz). Snowing again now. Shops have no bread or milk.   

Bread or milk? Who needs that i have just used my last dishwasher tablet! #realemergency

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

BS16 snow falling again

4A304F64-EB59-4DA4-9A65-6A948D04CAB6.jpeg

I know, I'm just down the road in Fishponds. Took me nearly 2 hours to get home from Clevedon yesterday, and hills or slopes were a lottery.
Really am in two minds.

Archived