IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

1 minute ago, JulieH said:

The advice from Avon and Somerset police remains as only essential travel is advised. 

This has not changed all day and is the current advice we are giving to everyone in our force area . I understand from colleagues in Sheffield that advice saying similar is also being given out  by local force there.

So A&S are - by deduction - advising not to travel by road to AG for the football on the grounds of safety.

The current mixed messages will only have people on the roads who really shouldn't be.

Good luck A&S digging people out.  Don't fall out with the farmers if they tell you to sling your hook when you want their help towing people.

5 minutes ago, JulieH said:

The advice from Avon and Somerset police remains as only essential travel is advised. 

This has not changed all day and is the current advice we are giving to everyone in our force area . I understand from colleagues in Sheffield that advice saying similar is also being given out  by local force there.

Then who decided it was safe to stage the game?

1 hour ago, stogursey red said:

i find it very poor from the club, going ahead with this game as so many city fans dont live in Bristol,i am snowed in in west somerset at the moment, cant see many being there tomorrow,

Same as that mate, and I’m not far from you, ( Bridgwater) ludicrous decision to say the game is 100% on, when supporters 100% can’t get to the game!

34 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Also in our division, Barnsley v Norwich, Brentford v Cardiff and Ipswich v Hull all off as well as Blades v Burton announced yesterday.

Brentford/Ipswich both pitch related so not really relevant to our situation

9 minutes ago, JulieH said:

So the football is on, but the police are advising us not to go there...

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

And God forbid should  there be a major incident at the game I'm pretty sure both club and fans would expect the already overwhelmed emergency services to respond as normal. So rather like the idiot on Sky News this morning moaning he'd been stuck on the A303 all night and when cut short by the reporter asking why, given his journey was non essential, he'd ignored common sense advice and decided to travel, I think the club's showing an element of irresponsibility in risking the match proceeding? Its also only the immediate hard-standing over which the club has control that's been made safe, as per their advice that nearby roads and streets remain hazardous and thus walking to the ground is recommended.

I'm not sure I get your point.

If the pitch is fine, the stadium is safe and the roads and pavements in the vicinity are also deemed as safe, why should the match be called off?

I've never heard of a match at AG being postponed before when those conditions have been met.

29 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Funnily enough the coldest i have ever been at AG was a game against Sheff Wed in Dec 1990 i think. Bitterly cold wind blowing throug the ground and then it started snowing in the 2nd half.

The game may well be on tomorrow but not sure how the majority will get there. Had around 15cm on the ground in BS15 this morning and its been chucking down continuously since around 1pm. I'd struggle to reach the local shops at this rate, let alone Ashton.

Recently west brom in that cup replay few years back was bloody cold! 

20 minutes ago, JulieH said:

So basically you will be advising fans not to travel tomorrow?

3 minutes ago, marmite said:

If this, along with the ST fiasco, is the future of "Corporate" BCFC decision making, ie, never mind the supporters, sorry, customers, then the future is bleak. Where's me golf clubs?:whistle:

Don't hit them with that.  Cricket bat is better :)

22 minutes ago, JulieH said:

So who the hell deemed it safe to play football tomorrow

Whats wrong with your superiors? Do they have a brain?

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm not sure I get your point.

If the pitch is fine, the stadium is safe and the roads and pavements in the vicinity are also deemed as safe, why should the match be called off?

I've never heard of a match at AG being postponed before when those conditions have been met.

The thinking needs to move with the times. The days when support was from within about 2 miles of the ground and everybody paid on the day are gone. You have to consider people travelling to the game, most of whom have already paid a significant amount of money, which will not be refundable. Looking at the forecast, the biggest risk is a slight thaw in the afternoon, then a re-freeze, with plenty of black ice after the game. 

Oh well, if I don't make it that's £23 lost on my ST.

23 minutes ago, BCFC81 said:

I remember the Boxing Day clash against Watford a few years ago, sitting in the pub lashing it down, games called off left right and centre!!! Noise from the club “games on games on” get into the ground, so see two guys squeeging one corner of the pitch, 15 mins later game is off, but don’t worry about all the people that have gone out to ventured out, it’s only Boxing Day!!

Not sure that Watford game is of any relevance. The pitch was fine until an incredibly short time before kick-off. Both teams had warmed up without any issue before a sudden deluge.

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

So who the hell deemed it safe to play football tomorrow

Whats wrong with your superiors? Do they have a brain?

The higher you go the worse it gets.

Just look at the PM - won't tax anyone properly but lets services slide to lamentable levels.

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

The thinking needs to move with the times. The days when support was from within about 2 miles of the ground and everybody paid on the day are gone. You have to consider people travelling to the game, most of whom have already paid a significant amount of money, which will not be refundable. Looking at the forecast, the biggest risk is a slight thaw in the afternoon, then a re-freeze, with plenty of black ice after the game. 

Oh well, if I don't make it that's £23 lost on my ST.

Lost to you yes but the club has it banked so they don't care.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

So basically you will be advising fans not to travel tomorrow?

well thats what they have been saying for the past 2 days, with good reason when you see the news reports from around the country.

Don't know why there would be any reason to change that because football is on, the club must decide if they want less income from the game and ensure their access routes to the ground are fine, the stands are fine and they have all the staff they require available on the day as well as ensuring food and water outlets are available as you are not allowed to take your own stuff into the ground.

Personally I am surprised the Police have not said they cannot send officers to the match, considering the chaos around the area, which must surely take precedence over a football match... that does seem a little odd to be fair.

Archived