IGNORED

Weather (Merged)

BcfcDuncs

Lots of blame being slung about on this thread. 

For the purpose of establishing fact, assuming the pitch is playable, and the stadium environment is safe for employees - who has the ultimate say on whether the game goes ahead? 

Is it the club or is it the police?

19 minutes ago, Jarman said:

The programmes have been printed (cost) and the stewards paid (cost) and the food inputs sourced (cost) so **** the fans .... https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/dozens-bristol-trains-cancelled-services-1286819?utm_source=google_news&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=google_news&utm_content=sitemap

One additional cost (or at least reduction in income) is the likelihood that Sheffield Wednesday would bring fewer fans for a rearranged midweek game than the number of tickets that they've sold for tomorrow. I'd imagine that calling the game off would mean that Sheffield Wednesday fans who've paid for tomorrow's game would be able to claim a refund if they're subsequently unable to make the rearranged game. If tomorrow's game goes ahead, City will keep the gate money for away tickets sold irrespective of how many Wednesday fans actually make it to the game.

58 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

So the football is on, but the police are advising us not to go there...

Our advice for the weather today remains the same . Do not travel unless absolutely necessary 

We are liaising with met office at regular intervals and will ensure updates are made regularly. 

2 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Our advice for the weather today remains the same . Do not travel unless absolutely necessary 

We are liaising with met office at regular intervals and will ensure updates are made regularly. 

so will there be a police presence at the game tomorrow, as this is not a necessary event?  If the weather remains the same

....but its still ok to go to the footy.....:facepalm:

1 hour ago, marmite said:

Then who decided it was safe to stage the game?

The club have ensured the surrounding pavements and stadium area are safe .

we are giving advice based on the wider area surrounding the stadium and current advice from the met office 

10 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I remember this game as well, definitely the coldest I've ever been at a match. Stood on the Open End, my mates went home at half time. I haven't got a clue why I stayed.

We drew 1-1 iirc.

I remember it too for two reasons. The first was the tannoy telling the Wednesday fans they wouldn't get home as the motorways were closed and secondly I broke my arm playing rugby the day after.

The club have ensured the surrounding pavements and stadium area are safe .

we are giving advice based on the wider area surrounding the stadium and current advice from the met office 

WHO decided was the question.......

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Am I missing something here? Has the cold got to my cognitive capabilities!

The police are saying don't travel unless essential but at the same time giving the club the go ahead for tomorrow when it is highly unlikely to be any better.

I think that is exactly what is being suggested.

Statement for Points West tonight

“Police say don’t travel unless essential or you are going to the Football”

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

This is turning surreal

It’s not actually that hard to understand, people seem to be desperately over complicating it. 

The club are trying to ensure the stadium and surrounding area is safe to stage a football game. 

The police are advising against non essential travel. 

Therefore, as things stand, there’s a football game on, and if you want to risk attending it then it’s our call as we’re all grown adults. 

28 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

How can there be re-freeze when the temperature is forecast to be above freezing all day?

Due to be 3 deg. C during the match then 2 deg. C when it finishes and all evening.

I sympathise with your individual position, and anyone else's, if the weather where you live means you are unable to attend but all the criteria for the match going ahead seem to be met as far as I can see.

Because the weather App I looked at showed zero until 13.00 tomorrow,+2 for a couple of hours, then back to zero at 17.00 and -1 at 18.00. 

I just don't understand this at all, public transport and weather very uncertain, quite a lot of people clearly won't make it, police advise people not to travel in-necessarily, still a good chance of it being called off late, there are free midweek dates available. Why not just do the sensible thing now?

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Am I missing something here? Has the cold got to my cognitive capabilities!

The police are saying don't travel unless essential but at the same time giving the club the go ahead for tomorrow when it is highly unlikely to be any better.

According to the latest weather forecast it is going to be a lot better than it currently is. 6 degrees warmer than it currently is, 70% less chance of snow or rain and slightly less winds. Still be bloody freezing I'm sure but it will at least be better. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s not actually that hard to understand, people seem to be desperately over complicating it. 

The club are trying to ensure the stadium and surrounding area is safe to stage a football game. 

Therefore, as things stand, there’s a football game on, and if you want to risk attending it then it’s our call as we’re all grown adults. 

Then , there's your answer. Game OFF

2 minutes ago, KevP said:

WHO decided was the question.......

The club have ensured all the safety inside the stadium and the pitch is safe for fans to attend their event . 

Avon and Somerset police advice continues to be as stated in all our tweets 

7 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Avon and Somerset have taken responsibility and issued the advice of do not travel unless absolutely necessary. That continues to be the advice at this time . 

Out of interest and appreciating it's a dynamic assessment, at what point does the OIC, in partnership with their emergency service colleagues, assure there's adequate response available to mitigate any perceived risk should it materialise? The implication from your statement is that, at present, the OIC is happy that adequate response will be in position. Is that so?

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yes exactly this 

27 minutes ago, Jarman said:

The programmes have been printed (cost) and the stewards paid (cost) and the food inputs sourced (cost) so **** the fans .... https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/dozens-bristol-trains-cancelled-services-1286819?utm_source=google_news&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=google_news&utm_content=sitemap

The club have already said food deliveries have not happened, so even that is unlikely to be too major. 

The club have ensured all the safety inside the stadium and the pitch is safe for fans to attend their event . 

Avon and Somerset police advice continues to be as stated in all our tweets 

So it was the club ?

5 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Perhaps tomorrow could be the ideal opportunity. 

But lots of people will want it on also.  Not everyone wants it called off. Those that can't make midweek games, those that may be away for the rearranged games, those who want to travel from Sheffield on a Saturday not a Tuesday (who deem it safe it to travel). It's tricky indeed and it will be a ball ache for me to get there alongside 1000's of others, but there is another side here. 

Archived