IGNORED

SEASON TICKET PRICES (Merged)

RedM

Conspiracy hat on, have they decided to effectively price families out of the areas of the Lansdown that they’ve put the prices up by/got rid of the pricing for so that when we get promoted to the prem (this season or next) they have a bunch of free seats that they can then sell at a premium to day trippers wanting to watch top flight football. More hospitality seating etc. I know it’s not full now, but it would be if we ever got promoted.

Cos that’s how it seems to me the more I think about it. 

1 minute ago, Dollymarie said:

Conspiracy hat on, have they decided to effectively price families out of the areas of the Lansdown that they’ve put the prices up by/got rid of the pricing for so that when we get promoted to the prem (this season or next) they have a bunch of free seats that they can then sell at a premium to day trippers wanting to watch top flight football. More hospitality seating etc. I know it’s not full now, but it would be if we ever got promoted.

Nail. Head. 

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The other thing this pricing announcement has done is prove that SCAT and FAN are only useful when they club think they need them.

It's great that these supporters give up their free time to represent groups of supporters, but given one of the biggest challenges people face with live football is the cost of buying tickets and the club haven't engaged with them says a hell of a lot.

Want an end of the season award ceremony that will fill the bars and sell more drink at no cost to the club? Get SCAT to organise it!

Want to put prices up and displace fans who have sat with friends for years? Well, let's not engage with the supporters groups and get the news out when the route of communicating back to the club us disrupted because the SLO is on leave.

Just a small point Rob, the end of season awards have always been the Supporters Club (and now Supporters Club and Trust) awards to give out. The football club realised in recent years that by having an “awards ceremony” they could make money from it. We’ve had to make it very clear to them (in the nicest possible way) that the awards are the fans to give, and not have it become a corporate thing.  

1 minute ago, Dollymarie said:

Just a small point Rob, the end of season awards have always been the Supporters Club (and now Supporters Club and Trust) awards to give out. The football club realised in recent years that by having an “awards ceremony” they could make money from it. We’ve had to make it very clear to them (in the nicest possible way) that the awards are the fans to give, and not have it become a corporate thing.  

I get that, but they seem to have been  far more accommodating since they have bars to fill!

3 hours ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Hi all,

First off I hear the frustrations that I’m seeing across OTIB, Twitter, email.

As SLO I am not responsible for setting the prices, however when I was shown them I had many of the same questions that are being voiced on this thread, so I wanted to give a quick summary.

There are lots of comments about Under 12 price rise in the Dolman and it being removed from Lansdown lower altogether. In the Lansdown, the club want to get more families sitting together and feel that is best in the family area. I understand that this means moving from lower to upper tier and possibly moving away from friends that have been made in that area and did raise this point. In the Dolman an under 12’s rate was included, (albeit the season ticket price raised from £50 to £99), and the premium seat price of £4.30 per match was still deemed good value for a child ticket in that part of the ground. At the January FAN meeting, the free shirt home shirt was deemed to be popular, so it was important that was maintained for all under 12 season card holders as it has done for the past 4 years. With more emphasis on the family area there will be a review of what is possible given the restrictions, and working with AGL & Bristol Sport we will look at improving the fan experience in that area of the ground. This also goes for continually looking to evolve the stadium as we become more familiar with the stadium renovation.

A few people asking if price rises were considered across the board and this is something I did raise. The club wanted to ensure the lowest price season card remained the same at £345. There was feedback at FAN that it would be good to look for a further reduction at entry level, however it was felt that £15 a match was still good value. The match day prices in the Lansdown and Dolman were still felt to be really good for Championship football.

There are currently no plans to expand the singing section, however as afar as I’m aware the current blocks will remain unreserved as it has done previously.

The specifics of the loyalty scheme are still being finalised and there will be a further announcement regarding what the loyalty scheme looks like in due course.

My role now as SLO  is to summarise  all of the thoughts, feelings and views of the fans and making sure everyone is aware of them back at Ashton Gate. This is is something that I will do over the next few days. As Harry mentioned I am away at the moment (a wedding that was booked before I got the job offer at the club). I will be jumping on line when I can, however please bear with me as there is a 7 hour time difference. I will be back in the office on Monday 5th March. 

Matt

Matt

Why should the club decide where a parent sits with his child?

No given rights to do that, it’s personal choice

its not like there’s not enough seats, in general some 5000 left most home games  

I have a freind who summed this up perfectly last night  

This person has had a season ticket at City for donkeys years sitting next or as close as he could to his freinds

Last two seasons he has taken his lad who is an under 12 in the lower Lansdown and the lad has loved it 

Now he has decided last night ( in a fit of anger)  that he totally refuses to move up top to the family area 

So his scenario becomes either his lad don’t come anymore or they both don’t come anymore 

That’s a loose loose situation for City and reading from posts on here and twitter this is pretty much the feeling right across the board 

This really needs to be discussed again. The youth are the future of the club. 

Get it right FFS!!!!

4 hours ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

There are lots of comments about Under 12 price rise in the Dolman and it being removed from Lansdown lower altogether. In the Lansdown, the club want to get more families sitting together and feel that is best in the family area.

I think the club has completely ballsed up the location of the family area anyway. The area should be chosen based on bringing the best experience to the kids and getting them supporting the club for years to come. Kids love being as close to the pitch as possible and within touching distance of the players they adore - instead they have been forced into the polar opposite. 

I get that they wanted to keep the entry level price at £345 for an adult ticket - but surely this is just a vanity project so they have a cheap "from only £x per match" - it is not fair that to maintain this price point the rest of the season tickets have to subsidise it. 

27 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Maybe they were anticipating the Prem when they set out the pricing. 

I think quite the opposite.  They were anticipating that it is most likely that we are not getting to the Prem and realised that if they didn't get the tickets on sale now, by the time they did we would most likely be out of the running and they wouldn't be able to justify these appalling increases.  As it is, it is a blatantly cynical attempt to price out the real supporters who have been here for donkeys years, and to undermine bringing up kids to believe in the club.  I've sat in my seat in the central Dolman for 30 years this season, and a lot of the faces around me have been there for much of that time.  It's people like us who are being cycnically hit with massive price increases.  Shameful on the club's part.

3 minutes ago, Buckeyed said:

I think the club has completely ballsed up the location of the family area anyway. The area should be chosen based on bringing the best experience to the kids and getting them supporting the club for years to come. Kids love being as close to the pitch as possible and within touching distance of the players they adore - instead they have been forced into the polar opposite. 

I get that they wanted to keep the entry level price at £345 for an adult ticket - but surely this is just a vanity project so they have a cheap "from only £x per match" - it is not fair that to maintain this price point the rest of the season tickets have to subsidise it. 

Absolutely spot on :clap:

I like the way the club are making a big deal about u12s still getting their free shirts. Err, you're effectively making us pay for them and adding another 20 quid on top of that compared to least year. It's a bit of a wriggle to claim they are 'still free'.

They should back down on the most ridiculous increases quickly because until then in PR terms they aren't so much shooting themselves in the foot as launching a nuclear weapon at it.

26 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Maybe they were anticipating the Prem when they set out the pricing. 

24 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I think this is certainly the most likely reason. But realisitically what is the likelihood we will actually be in the Prem next season? 1 in 8 chance? Even if we make the playoffs it’s only a 1 in 4.

It seems crazy to make such a decision that is guaranteed to alienate your fans and create masses of bad PR, based on a 1 in 8 chance. And it’s not as if they’d need that relatively small extra income anyway with all the TV money they’d get.

Crazy decision.

6 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I like the way the club are making a big deal about u12s still getting their free shirts. Err, you're effectively making us pay for them and adding another 20 quid on top of that compared to least year. It's a bit of a wriggle to claim they are 'still free'.

They should back down on the most ridiculous increases quickly because until then in PR terms they aren't so much shooting themselves in the foot as launching a nuclear weapon at it.

Exactly.

Wanna buy this fifty pound note?

Yours for only seventy quid... But it comes with a free fiver.

I just cant understand the club's logic of how badly they are treating the U19's in the Lansdown - £99  to £335. That age group is picking up the 16, 17 and 18 year old kids who tend to come in small groups, they spend money at the ground, buy the shirts etc. etc. -  they are the future and the next 'Adult' season ticket buyers.

Moving to the Family areas is not an option and not everybody is going to be able to pile into season tickets at cheaper parts of the ground, again as many posters have noted, why should they have to anyway. Most would happily accept a rise in price at a sensible level but FFS 338%. Ridiculous treatment at a 'family club'

39 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

All good and well if succsesful, but if languishing in the lower half of the table and out of the cups bad bad move!!!!

Renewing was always going to be a bit of a stretch this year but I was going to find the money for me and my son from somewhere, now this from the club I love, you cheeky bastards. Three generations of us have sat in the Willaims/Lansdown, we cant move to the upper Lansdown as my dad isnt upto the stairs these days, so its either stump up hundreds of quid more or dont go, its probably the latter, so thats three of us cleansed from the Lansdown, I hope your happy and **** you.

What age does a child have to leave the family area, i guess if you have a couple of children the adult and older children can stay in there until the youngest is too old. So what happens then, a family or four or five if not more have to locate to other parts of the ground and try to find seats together, that’s pretty difficult I expect, and never mind the cost.

I’m glad there weren’t family area when I started to take my children aged around 5 and 7. We got seats in the Dolman and paid the going rate as they grew up. We are all still there, they now as fully paying adults. We have sat with similar people and watched their children grow up too, gone off to Uni and just come back during holidays etc. Some adults also have grown to be OAP’s and now have grandchildren, it’s a natural system that works, a mix of all ages, some people shout and swear, some just sit and watch. It’s how my children learnt about football, not sat in a sterile area. I guess many of the fans in this thread want the same.

22 minutes ago, Stortz said:

And when you consider the price of the shirts to the club, not for what they are sale for it looks even poorer. I would bet my house that the price the club pays for a child’s shirt is much less than a Tenner.

4 hours ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Hi all,

First off I hear the frustrations that I’m seeing across OTIB, Twitter, email.

As SLO I am not responsible for setting the prices, however when I was shown them I had many of the same questions that are being voiced on this thread, so I wanted to give a quick summary.

There are lots of comments about Under 12 price rise in the Dolman and it being removed from Lansdown lower altogether. In the Lansdown, the club want to get more families sitting together and feel that is best in the family area. I understand that this means moving from lower to upper tier and possibly moving away from friends that have been made in that area and did raise this point. In the Dolman an under 12’s rate was included, (albeit the season ticket price raised from £50 to £99), and the premium seat price of £4.30 per match was still deemed good value for a child ticket in that part of the ground. At the January FAN meeting, the free shirt home shirt was deemed to be popular, so it was important that was maintained for all under 12 season card holders as it has done for the past 4 years. With more emphasis on the family area there will be a review of what is possible given the restrictions, and working with AGL & Bristol Sport we will look at improving the fan experience in that area of the ground. This also goes for continually looking to evolve the stadium as we become more familiar with the stadium renovation.

A few people asking if price rises were considered across the board and this is something I did raise. The club wanted to ensure the lowest price season card remained the same at £345. There was feedback at FAN that it would be good to look for a further reduction at entry level, however it was felt that £15 a match was still good value. The match day prices in the Lansdown and Dolman were still felt to be really good for Championship football.

There are currently no plans to expand the singing section, however as afar as I’m aware the current blocks will remain unreserved as it has done previously.

The specifics of the loyalty scheme are still being finalised and there will be a further announcement regarding what the loyalty scheme looks like in due course.

My role now as SLO  is to summarise  all of the thoughts, feelings and views of the fans and making sure everyone is aware of them back at Ashton Gate. This is is something that I will do over the next few days. As Harry mentioned I am away at the moment (a wedding that was booked before I got the job offer at the club). I will be jumping on line when I can, however please bear with me as there is a 7 hour time difference. I will be back in the office on Monday 5th March. 

Matt

Did you get a degree in bullshit at the same university as Mr Ashton?

The same disastrous thinking that has been the forte if BCFC for as long as I can remember.

Maybe the locality scheme the club is hoping we will sign up to without knowing any detail is being ‘tweeked’ due to how people have reacted to this?

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLOI appreciate you responding whilst you are on leave, that is beyond what anyone would expect. But please enjoy your last few days as no doubt you will be returning to a shitestorm of emails etc. I’m glad to are at least having the same concerns, but find it worrying too that the club didn’t listen to you. Same goes for the FAN, and as for the SC&T not even being consulted, well that says it all, totally insulting to the fans.

13 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

The pricing of tickets like this is one of the main reasons why I am falling out of love with football. 

Surely they should be encouraging fans (especially tomorrows fan), not discouraging! The accountants run football nowadays.

The pricing 'attack' on children/young people is as disgraceful as it is puzzling. I really don't understand why they feel like they had to hike the prices of u-19s so extortionately in one go like this. They will have calculated all of the permutations of what the price increase would mean for different types of 'customers' and therefore known that some people ie adults with children in the Lansdown would be facing massive price increases that would either force them to move to another part of the ground or result in them not renewing their season tickets. They can't plead ignorance so a full explanation is required.

More broadly, on the subject of ticket pricing at football, you know what would have shown real ambition; to try and fill the 26,500 seats Ashton Gate has available every game. THAT would show ambition; to try and drastically increase our fan base. But instead the easy option is to price as high as you think you can get away with without a care in the world particularly for how many seats are filled.

It's short-sighted but above all unambitious. 

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Spot on.

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The pricing 'attack' on children/young people is as disgraceful as it is puzzling. I really don't understand why they feel like they had to hike the prices of u-19s so extortionately in one go like this. They will have calculated all of the permutations of what the price increase would mean for different types of 'customers' and therefore known that some people ie adults with children in the Lansdown would be facing massive price increases that would either force them to move to another part of the ground or result in them not renewing their season tickets. They can't plead ignorance so a full explanation is required.

More broadly, on the subject of ticket pricing at football, you know what would have shown real ambition; to try and fill the 26,500 seats Ashton Gate has available every game. THAT would show ambition; to try and drastically increase our fan base. But instead the easy option is to price as high as you think you can get away with without a care in the world particularly for how many seats are filled.

It's short-sighted but above all unambitious. 

I was puzzled at first and then I worked it out. 

The club know they’ll completely sell out the maximum number of season tickets if and when we get promoted. So they don’t want them tied up with kids at say £50 when they know they’ll sell them at £400-£500 to adults. 

As others have said they are taking a gamble that after the scramble for both Manchester tickets that we can attract a big crowd week in week out. They want the prime seats available to sell at a premium, £££. Of course if we are promoted, which looks less likely they can fill the ground more often, but even then fixtures like Stoke, Watford etc I don’t think will be sell outs.

Thats all well and good, but the club have to consider the other scenario. I know many who purchased half ST’s only did so on the strength of getting a Manchester ticket, they don’t have any incentive to renew. As I stated elsewhere the ground could look lopsided and empty as the Dolman centre will be sparse, as will the lower Lansdown. We could be playing Shrewsbury on a wet November night remember. The South Stand will be fuller, and of course all the families shoved into the upper Lansdown, out of sight. It might even be cheaper for POTD fans to get tickets in with the away fans, imagine that!

I shouldn’t really be surprised, for every few good things the club do right they seem to balance the fact by coming along and making a gigantic fluckup which affects everybody. 

14 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Age-related discounts are sweeping generalisations too. Therefore they need to be appropriate to a majority. It is an established fact that the over 65s are now more wealthy on average than those of working age. Therefore the concept of pensioner discount makes little sense in Britain in 2018.

A pensioner living in a tenanted house with nothing but the state pension would not agree with that.

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I was puzzled at first and then I worked it out. 

The club know they’ll completely sell out the maximum number of season tickets if and when we get promoted. So they don’t want them tied up with kids at day £50 when they know they’ll sell them at £400-£500 to adults. 

Yup, or one match could net them that £50 anyway. Yes great, but as I just said that seat won’t sell on a wet November night watching Shrewsbury.

41 minutes ago, RedM said:

What age does a child have to leave the family area, i guess if you have a couple of children the adult and older children can stay in there until the youngest is too old. So what happens then, a family or four or five if not more have to locate to other parts of the ground and try to find seats together, that’s pretty difficult I expect, and never mind the cost.

I’m glad there weren’t family area when I started to take my children aged around 5 and 7. We got seats in the Dolman and paid the going rate as they grew up. We are all still there, they now as fully paying adults. We have sat with similar people and watched their children grow up too, gone off to Uni and just come back during holidays etc. Some adults also have grown to be OAP’s and now have grandchildren, it’s a natural system that works, a mix of all ages, some people shout and swear, some just sit and watch. It’s how my children learnt about football, not sat in a sterile area. I guess many of the fans in this thread want the same.

Fantastic post. They have no grasp of what it really means to be a football supporter. It’s the relationships and shared experiences we have with our family and those around us that binds us. It’s people from different backgrounds, different ages who all share a passion for City that ensure this club moves through the generations. This social engineering will kill this off.

We need this message to get out and for the local press and others to start covering how badly the club are treating their core supporters.

Archived