IGNORED

SEASON TICKET PRICES (Merged)

RedM

3 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

The difference is when we do sell out. You plan for the highest revenue not the lowest.

No you don't, you plan for the most over the long term,  and you do it with a bit of common sense and empathy i.e. try and retain loyalty first rather than optimising for once a year visitors who come to see man united, and try and make sure you're continually growing the core fan base by keeping kids coming along.  This short sighted disaster of a policy does not achieve anything, it will result in at best an entirely short term and small revenue bump at the cost of a loss of loyalty in the core fanbase due to the justifiable feelings of betrayal.

24 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Fair assessment.

Massively, massively out of touch if they didn't predict this.

At least the fans know who/what they are dealing with.  CORPORATE, CORPORATE, CORPORATE.  They've watched too much Champions League on the telly and forgotten what a club is about.

Actions, not words.

Please excuse my ignorance all,but are  such "changes" as these here being discussed 'placed by SL for the 'thumbs up prior to final approval ???

Apologies if already covered on this thread-

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

No you don't, you plan for the most over the long term,  and you do it with a bit of common sense and empathy i.e. try and retain loyalty first rather than optimising for once a year visitors who come to see man united, and try and make sure you're continually growing the core fan base by keeping kids coming along.  This short sighted disaster of a policy does not achieve anything, it will result in at best an entirely short term and small revenue bump at the cost of a loss of loyalty in the core fanbase due to the justifiable feelings of betrayal.

Exactly.  Today my son has learned that BCFC is run by a bunch of out of touch management-types that wouldn't know what supporting a club was if it whacked them in the chops.

Today's lesson is provided by BCFC themselves, not me.

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Any club that treats its supporters of the future in the manner in which Bristol City has is tinpot, end of.

Even if this price increase was inevitable and unavoidable, no time was given to prepare, no time to save, no waiving (or club subsidising) the finance admin fee in consideration of the increased prices as a goodwill gesture for instance... nothing.

Rank amateur and what I'd expect from Horfield. A lot has been said on these forums about how Rovers would put up with it but we wouldn't yada yada yada. Time to test that.

BCFC is an attractive commodity, the club has pitched the tariff at a level they think is viable.

You are too much old City, you need to get on board or stay at home, Don't you think the Board considered the fall out from this? Of course they did, they will still get bums on seats and don't care what bum's fill 'em.l

2 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

BCFC is an attractive commodity, the club has pitched the tariff at a level they think is viable.

You are too much old City, you need to get on board or stay at home, Don't you think the Board considered the fall out from this? Of course they did, they will still get bums on seats and don't care what bum's fill 'em.l

I thought we were having a well reasoned debate. Clearly not.

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

See my last post....

But I get your point, but the point is, IT'S ******* BUSINESS.

See my last post....

It's not simply business as much as (in some ways) it needs to be run like one.  It is subject to so many factors that other business are not - especially in terms of its location, catchment and customer base.

I never got excited by Tesco or Amazon climbing the ladder.

You are deliberately missing the point on this. You stated previously that you used to bring 4 kids to quid a kid games, but you would not if it was 20 quid a kid. That proves that excessive overpricing does not put bums on seats, quite the contrary by your own admission.

5 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Again.......pandering to the day-trippers, with no concern for its future supporters.

6 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Come off it, that's a bit pathetic, like I say you don't have to cough up, you have choices.

ie stay at home. or go fishing, go to the Mem...sorry that was out of order. :facepalm:

I asked earlier if you thought there might be other ways of raising the revenue by the same amount in a more equal way that affects all fans similarly?

THAT is what people are arguing for.

@1bristolcity ???

See my last post....

Anybody with the faintest idea about business knows what happens to businesses who betray their core "customers".

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

It's not simply business as much as (in some ways) it needs to be run like one.

I never got excited by Tesco or Amazon climbing the ladder.

Sorry but all this carp about I love my club because of the community feeling I get, is fine I get that, but it's now a myth, the Board would want the sort of fan that pays up without batting an eyelid, Truthfully I hate it as much as anyone, Harry Dolman it is not, but it is 2018, and I guess the club see us as a potential money spinner. 

What do expect from the likes of Steve Lansdown, Bristol Sport, this juggernaut has just started rolling, get used to it. 

9 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Read this thread- it THAT attractive. 

Your attitude absolutely stinks if it is put up or shut up. There is nothing inherently wrong with an increase , it would be gladly paid - if reasonable. Taking away concessions for children in certain areas is repugnant. 

Sorry but all this carp about I love my club because of the community feeling I get, is fine I get that, but it's now a myth, the Board would want the sort of fan that pays up without batting an eyelid, Truthfully I hate it as much as anyone, Harry Dolman it is not, but it is 2018, and I guess the club see us as a potential money spinner. 

What do expect from the likes of Steve Lansdown, Bristol Sport, this juggernaut has just started rolling, get used to it. 

Would still be interested to know if you think there is a more equal way of raising the same revenue?  i.e. the club want to increase revenue by 10% so a 10% increase for all?

That's what people would be far happier with.  You seem glued to the idea that the proposal they have made is the ONLY way.

You seem to be arguing a point that isn't the fundamental issue for most.

EDIT:  I give up on this point - you've been busily answering most posts but have ignored this question 3 times.  Clearly something of a wind-up merchant,

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Your attitude absolutely stinks if it is put up or shut up. There is nothing inherently wrong with an increase , it would be gladly paid - if reasonable. Taking away concessions for children in certain areas is repugnant. 

Use of the word tariff sums it up. We are not paying a Tax or Duty here ...

34 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Bottom line is the cheap seats were heavily subsidised, the club cannot afford to lost that amount of revenue

You could certainly argue that cheap kids seats are heavily subsidised but that is true all over the ground and is a strategy for securing fans of the future - it's not done simply out of generosity, it's done with the express purpose of creating a longer term revenue opportunity for the club.

Why would the club do that, only to double (or more) prices for kids just a year later? Unless all the children of South Bristol have done a Tom Hanks in Big and grown up overnight are are now in full time employment, it's basically reversing the attempt to retain kids before it's succeeded.

And we can all guess the reasons for removing that "subsidy" (your word - "incentive" my word) selectively across the ground. Regardless, fans were moved from pillar to post during the re-build and in the first settled season of the new stadium they were incentivised into these blocks.

Just a year later they're being basically told to do one again. That lacks class and smacks (not for the first time where City administration is concerned) of short-sighted planning on a whim. If the club wanted to price fans in and out of certain areas why didn't they do so from day one?

41 minutes ago, alandicks said:

Don't know if anyone else has posted about the FSF. I emailed them yesterday afternoon and had an instant response. I emailed City complaining about the season ticket costs on Tuesday evening and have not heard a word.

Response below from FSF

We've had quite a few emails about this today. It doesn't sound good. Would it be OK with you if I pass on your email to our affiliates at Bristol City Supporters Trust to hear their thoughts as well? Just to figure our next steps etc as instantly putting it into the public domain doesn't always guarantee the best results. We also meet the EFL on a bi-annual basis in meetings with fan groups and, without prempting everyone's opinion involved in setting that agenda, I should imagine this would be a prime candidate for inclusion.

Many thanks,
Michael
The FSF

I gave the go ahead and then got another response.

Super, I believe the Bristol City Supporters Trust are meeting the club next week and this evidence will prove very useful for them. Similarly when we raise the issue with the EFL, first hand opinions are very important.

Don't know if any good will come from it but at least someone is reading the emails at the FSF and replying !!!

41 minutes ago, alandicks said:

Don't know if anyone else has posted about the FSF. I emailed them yesterday afternoon and had an instant response. I emailed City complaining about the season ticket costs on Tuesday evening and have not heard a word.

Response below from FSF

We've had quite a few emails about this today. It doesn't sound good. Would it be OK with you if I pass on your email to our affiliates at Bristol City Supporters Trust to hear their thoughts as well? Just to figure our next steps etc as instantly putting it into the public domain doesn't always guarantee the best results. We also meet the EFL on a bi-annual basis in meetings with fan groups and, without prempting everyone's opinion involved in setting that agenda, I should imagine this would be a prime candidate for inclusion.

Many thanks,
Michael
The FSF

I gave the go ahead and then got another response.

Super, I believe the Bristol City Supporters Trust are meeting the club next week and this evidence will prove very useful for them. Similarly when we raise the issue with the EFL, first hand opinions are very important.

Don't know if any good will come from it but at least someone is reading the emails at the FSF and replying !!!

Yep I did the same and had a similar reply. Seems like they're with us on this.

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

My ticket price would rise by £20, which I am happy to pay.

My 14 year old lad's ticket would rise by £156

How can that be justified?

It's absolutely ludicrous. Football has to be the only industry which is so awash with money that clubs could realistically charge their main stakeholders peanuts per game and still stay afloat, yet they decide to do the absolute opposite. BCFC's behaviour here is clearly not ideal, but it's an issue of British football as a whole rather than the club itself. Bristol City/Bristol Sport could have decided to be in the minority as a few other clubs have, and keep prices low in defiance, but that's not been deemed appropriate. Which is all the more disappointing given that the rebuild will have increased revenue mostly in the corporate/hospitality areas, which by all accounts are selling out even at the high prices - basically, the club should be hitting the fans/businesses who can afford to be hit.

Yes the club runs at a substantial loss and yes we have to continue to spend to be competitive, but as part of our new way of thinking in terms of scouting, long-term academy approach and appropriate coaching, we need to be clever and ensure it doesn't hit the working person's game, which it clearly no longer is. Average rent price in Bristol is £900, people need to make savings, and when you're spending over a grand to get a family to football for a season (double that once you factor in travel, away games and peripheral purchases around the ground) then something is wrong.

You can get a season ticket at Barca for just over £100. At Bayern Munich it's just under £100. For a SEASON. It can be done, the powers at be just don't want it to be done.

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

You could certainly argue that cheap kids seats are heavily subsidised but that is true all over the ground and is a strategy for securing fans of the future - it's not done simply out of generosity, it's done with the express purpose of creating a longer term revenue opportunity for the club.

Why would the club do that, only to double (or more) prices for kids just a year later? Unless all the children of South Bristol have done a Tom Hanks in Big and grown up overnight are are now in full time employment, it's basically reversing the attempt to retain kids before it's succeeded.

And we can all guess the reasons for removing that "subsidy" (your word - "incentive" my word) selectively across the ground. Regardless, fans were moved from pillar to post during the re-build and in the first settled season of the new stadium they were incentivised into these blocks.

Just a year later they're being basically told to do one again. That lacks class and smacks (not for the first time where City administration is concerned) of short-sighted planning on a whim. If the club wanted to price fans in and out of certain areas why didn't they do so from day one?

Let's not mess about here. This is a form of Apartheid ("apartness"): segregation here based upon age (youngest/oldest) and disablility, partially compelled by economic force.

Un Feckin' Believeable in good old tree-hugging Bristol. Or, indeed anywhere for that matter.

9 minutes ago, marmite said:

I think the club got carried away with the cup run when they filled the stadium with dearer priced tickets for the Manchester ties

Absolute scenes when we revert to losing in the first round of the league cup to Barnet next season followed by an FA Cup 3rd round exit away at Burnley. They'll be begging everyone to come back down from the Lansdown Upper Tier then. 

11 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Let's not mess about here. This is a form of Apartheid ("apartness"): segregation here based upon age (youngest/oldest) and disablility, partially compelled by economic force.

Un Feckin' Believeable in good old tree-hugging Bristol. Or, indeed anywhere for that matter.

Business and corporate don't want kids hanging about.  Some might argue.

If I was a kid I probably wouldn't want Mark Ashton hanging about, but that's not the point. (Or his chums who can't be bothered to get back to their seats for the second half.)

7 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Business and corporate don't want kids hanging about.  Some might argue.

If I was a kid I probably wouldn't want Mark Ashton hanging about, but that's not the point.

Indeed not: let's remind ourselves of his former popularity (followed by 6 years out of football before going to Oxford)

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/3995357.A_period_that_few_will_miss/

Interesting article here, especially the comments about English fans being 'clients' which I can only agree with unfortunately.  

30, 0000 fans didn't turn up at Borussia Dortmund in protest at Monday night football, real action.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43235571?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Archived