IGNORED

Protest / Boycott / Direct Action - Ideas (Merged)

Harry

Whilst your intent is positive unfortunately this forum (as good as it is) has proved time and again for years that it's only a very small section of our fan base.

Of all the City fans I know, only a couple know of this forums existence, let alone read or even post on it. 

Whilst I understand how and why this has angered people we've had far worse situations happen at the club where similar calls to action have gone nowhere. 

Fair play to you for trying but I would've thought a more direct route would be through the new SLO person. 

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think everyone should start by emailing the club.  That can be done tonight, no need to wait.

Personally, I don’t want to do a walkout, because I want to support the players.

It is, however, a very visual thing. I think the only thing that will change minds is bad press, both locally and nationally. Walkouts can easily be shared on TV broadcast media. 

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd like a simple message in the form of a banner to be displayed saying that children should be welcome in all areas of the ground and not priced out of some of the best seats in the house - they are our future.

Failing that we could burn down the Lansdown Stand on Saturday morning.

idiot

I think everyone with kids should walk around to the Lansdown stand and get as close to the directors box as possible during the game and then Ask the powers that be to explain to the children why hey want them to move up to the gods. 

No swearing or aggressiveness just asstertive and demand they explain to the children why they don’t want them sitting near them. 

A pitchside banner walk around worked well when we were trying to open up the waste d back in the day. I know Lansdown and sexton hated the publicity that brought. 

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

We could all join the Dolman and leave on 80 minutes

We can't all leave early, most of us half-way or higher up are usually trapped in our seats for a good 10 minutes after the final whistle. You want me to live blog the experience Saturday to prove it? (Don't say yes, I've no idea what live blog means - I just like to repeat what the cool kids on the iwebnet are saying :)

Due to the lack of time on this matter any protest needs to take place this Saturday , although I doubt the game will be on. 

Therefore people should use email, Twitter and FB to shame, question and embarrass the club. 

On the whole it’s a well run club. I recognise that it has to make money. But this season ticket malarkey is appalling. So short-sighted, nasty and disrespectful. 

I made it clear on the other thread that anything we do, has to involve some personal sacrifice from us. This could mean we miss the match, it could mean not renewing or something like that. What we cannot do is have a little moan in the ground or outside the ground. That only proves that we can moan, and doesn't show that we are willing to actually fight this.

All great protests involve a sacrifice from the protesters. For the miners it was their pay, for Emily Davison it was her life. For us it may be a game of football. The club, ie the fans, is more important than the team, or any Premier League dream. 

I'm not renewing and would happily back any walkout and/or boycott.

1 hour ago, Wilksi said:

I think everyone with kids should walk around to the Lansdown stand and get as close to the directors box as possible during the game and then Ask the powers that be to explain to the children why hey want them to move up to the gods. 

No swearing or aggressiveness just asstertive and demand they explain to the children why they don’t want them sitting near them. 

A pitchside banner walk around worked well when we were trying to open up the waste d back in the day. I know Lansdown and sexton hated the publicity that brought. 

The last bit should have said East End. Bloody phone and auto correct. 

49 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

We can't all leave early, most of us half-way or higher up are usually trapped in our seats for a good 10 minutes after the final whistle. You want me to live blog the experience Saturday to prove it? (Don't say yes, I've no idea what live blog means - I just like to repeat what the cool kids on the iwebnet are saying :)

Yes.

Sorry :mf_sleep:

4 minutes ago, KingtonRed said:

The club love their social media, particularly twitter. Let's get a suitable hashtag trending. Or is there one doing the rounds already that I'm not aware of?

Or better still get someone clever to make a gifs of some young fans being shown the red card.

Given the relevancy is the gifs this season something like that would get a lot of traction online and media outlets would probably take notice.

11 hours ago, Harry said:

I thought I’d separate this out from the main Season Ticket prices thread, as the anger therein still has many a course to run. 

There is clearly a lot of anger in a number of aspects of the season ticket rollout. Child tickets, Pensioner tickets, Disabled tickets, early announcement, short deadline etc etc. It’s fair to say this has not been received very well in most quarters. 

Lets leave the anger within the main thread. I want to start this thread as an opportunity for fans to suggest and then further construct ideas as to what we as a fanbase can do about this. 

Whether this is some form of protest, boycott, direct action, withholding support/purchases etc. 

One thing is for sure, there is almost unanimous disappointment & bafflement over these decisions and we need to take some form of direct action to make sure we are all stood up and counted. 

Football without fans is nothing. Let’s not let them divide & conquer. We need to unite and fight. 

No idea is a bad idea. Throw it in the mix and others might improve it and make it work. 

Suggestions please..................

When Bristol City started banning fans for life after the Cardiff game when they had not even been to court and for offences which were not violent a letter appeared on social media and was passed around fans on matchday.

The letter said something like if the club did not reconsider fans would withdraw vocal support for one half of a game. local media got hold of it and the club did reconsider.

I seem to remember Liverpool having something like this, when they rebuilt their main stand. Think all it took was the sight of The Kop walking - not alone, but altogether now - out during a game, and their jelly-kneed overseas owners did a quick volte-face.

24 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Or better still get someone clever to make a gifs of some young fans being shown the red card.

Given the relevancy is the gifs this season something like that would get a lot of traction online and media outlets would probably take notice.

That could get shared a lot! I like it. 

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This is the best suggestion by far given how much press the GIfs bring the club.  Imagine the publicity it would get, the club would hate it.  Mass retweets if we score and it would soon be picked up by the media.  I can see a gif with a cigar smoking fat cat pushing a crying kid out of his seat and replacing him with an adult in a Man U top holding a wad of cash.  Someone must have the necessary skills...

23 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

When Bristol City started banning fans for life after the Cardiff game when they had not even been to court and for offences which were not violent a letter appeared on social media and was passed around fans on matchday.

The letter said something like if the club did not reconsider fans would withdraw vocal support for one half of a game. local media got hold of it and the club did reconsider.

1. Letter of intent.
  2. Withdraw vocal support.

From E34 in the Dolman fans could easily join in with 2. It would require simply require behaving as we do any match day. 

1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

The protest that was not a protest because it was the threat of a real quiet protest.

And it worked.

What about a mass walkout for 20 mins at half time? Whoops this already happens.

Irrespective of how we protest, the rumblings here, in the Evil Post and on Radio Brizzle are sure to make the club realise they have made a monumental cock up and reconsider.

Maybe that was the plan.  To announce something nobody would like with the expectation of having to make a bit of a climb down to the level they wanted. 

Ok some ideas;

1- first decide on a date and time of action

2 - decide on the actual action and location

3- publicise it- online, amongst the media and if there’s time around the ground

4- have a dedicated thread on here where if in agreement the mods can move/remove posts that do not specifically relate to organising or the provision of information (to ensure the message isn’t lost)

5- have a statement that is well circulated to help those taking part to ‘win’ the argument when encouraging participation.

6 - some thoughts about actual actions - a chant that is supportive to the team but lets the club know feelings are strong (struggling to think of something of top of my head but will give it some thought),

a walkout (hard to be confident it will be effective as a mass around the entire ground) but I’m sure if S.82 started it (I’m in S.82), were solid and had a simple chant/banner  explaining to the rest of the ground what and why it was happening this could be effective, could also encourage the away side to join in (very optimistic I know)!

How about posters either  side of the vorms from the concourses. UNDER 12. NOT WELCOME HERE NEXT SEASON. WEALTHY WELCOME. Would certainly alert those not active on social media. I'me sure others could come up with appropriate wording.

None of this will work. The only protest is not to buy your SC when the club wants you to. We all know that isn't going to happen for either those who are no worse off, or those who are annoyed but can afford the increase. I think Bristol Sport/Lansdowns are getting a bit ahead of themselves because as a team we are still fuckall, but if people still pay then they are vindicated.

The fact of the matter is , that if we continue our poor run of form and finish mid table, then anyone can sit with whoever they like next season .

13 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

How about posters either  side of the vorms from the concourses. UNDER 12. NOT WELCOME HERE NEXT SEASON. WEALTHY WELCOME. Would certainly alert those not active on social media. I'me sure others could come up with appropriate wording.

Good idea, but it’s not just u/12. It effects upto 19 ! My lad is an apprentice and their wages don’t stretch to £350 season tickets . 

How about on a certain minute hold aloft your season ticket and show the red card to greedy city. 

Or hold a banknote  Aloft  Harry Enfield style   And do the same , simple as most people have both or either items  

City players still get vocally backed and the fans get to make a point 

Archived