IGNORED

Reading between the lines...

spudski

....last few interviews with LJ.

Talking about players playing his way.

Can handle players making mistakes playing his way, but if they make mistakes doing it their way...they are off.

Must admit, I've thought this during our poor form.

Now I know some will say it's LJ deflecting it away from him...but imo, I don't think so.

I've seen people on here saying LJ has told the players to play that way....when playing long etc.

Yet, LJ seems to think differently saying to play our way, in what we believe in, and how we played the first two thirds of the season.

Seems to be aiming a large proportion of the 'blame' at some of the players.

I know some prefer to always lay blame at the manager/coach...but why else would he say this. Seems he's underlining the fact in interviews.

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Reminds me of the same things he said last season about needing to find out who he could trust.

top managers tend to deflect the criticism from their players in public, he goes the other way?

Yep like Alex Ferguson and Neil Warnock....never criticise their players in public, always keep it behind closed doors and convince the media they were hard done by....LJ last season laid into the players in front of the media - eg PNE away....naive...

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep like Alex Ferguson and Neil Warnock....never criticise their players in public, always keep it behind closed doors and convince the media they were hard done by....LJ last season laid into the players in front of the media - eg PNE away....naive...

Warnock certainly isn’t shy of slamming his players when they deserve it  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-boss-neil-warnock-14214451.amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-rages-inconsistent-referee-13858227.amp

One of the skills of a coach is to find a way to play that your players can master (or, if you prefer, to recruit and select players who are capable of playing the way you want them to). I'm not convinced that 11 selected on Saturday could play the pressing, pass and move game I assume he was talking about.

So for me some of the blame, at least sits with LJ. 

Unless he had a different style in mind for Sunday that they didn't manage, of course.

As for managers backing players regardless... I don't agree.

It's a bit like when Wenger says he 'didn't see it'...we all know it's bullshit.

I like LJ's honesty...it's Fresh. Not old school...why back certain players in public if they aren't doing as told?

He's said he'd take the can if they make mistakes and lose doing it his way.

Why keep protecting them.

Imo...players get way too much 'protection' and managers get way too much criticism.

52 minutes ago, South-of-river said:

I know it's not topic related but can anyone tell me what the fuss is about regarding ST?  is it a massive difference from last season?  

The club are raising the kids ticket prices by an unbelievable amount in some areas, and getting rid of their ST tickets all together in the lower Lansdown. This will split up communities and friendships built up in these areas, and is an attempt to get the kids out of these areas in order to sell more expensive tickets to day trippers. Additionally, there are price rises across the board for most people.

I will delay renewing, and won't renew if changes aren't made to this, neither will many others.

5 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

The club are raising the kids ticket prices by an unbelievable amount in some areas, and getting rid of their ST tickets all together in the lower Lansdown. This will split up communities and friendships built up in these areas, and is an attempt to get the kids out of these areas in order to sell more expensive tickets to day trippers. Additionally, there are price rises across the board for most people.

I will delay renewing, and won't renew if changes aren't made to this, neither will many others.

Thanks for letting me know..the last game I went to was against Leyton Orient... (my son was a flag boy) I'm thinking of getting a ST for next season so I just wanted to know! 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You say it's naïve but after that laying in after the Preston game we didn't lose another game until the last game of the season by which time we were safe

1 hour ago, spudski said:

It's a bit like when Wenger says he 'didn't see it'...we all know it's bullshit.

I like LJ's honesty...it's Fresh. Not old school...why back certain players in public if they aren't doing as told?

Imo...players get way too much 'protection' and managers get way too much criticism.

They are highly paid professionals, not guys with 9-5 jobs Monday to Friday who play on Saturday for enjoyment.

Anyone who has worked in any sort of profession will have a manager or managers above them who lay out how they are expected to work. Sometimes you can plough your own furrow and as long as you get the right results no one will mind, but if you don't get the results then your boss has every righty to blame it on you not following the laid down procedure.

As professionals, LJ and his team will be coaching the players they way the want and expect them to play, both in general terms, but also with specific reference to upcoming games. I can't imagine that part of that coaching will involve LJ telling them to lump it long the minute the going gets tough, or when we are under pressure. 

AS you say, the players cannot be criticised if they go out and play LJ's way but are beaten by a better team, or if the players don't have the right skill sets ( that is not a valid argument as results and performances earlier in the season - including against arguably the country's best team - show that the players do have the skill and ability)

You learn more about players when you are losing than when you are winning and I suspect you also learn a lot about your players when they are under pressure and how they react to criticism. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Talking about players getting too much "protection", Messi has taken it to a new level according to this in the BBC gossip this morning!

Expansion of Barcelona's airport is not possible because "planes are not allowed to fly over Lionel Messi's house", according to Vueling president Javier Sanchez-Prieto

3 hours ago, spudski said:

....last few interviews with LJ.

Talking about players playing his way.

Can handle players making mistakes playing his way, but if they make mistakes doing it their way...they are off.

Must admit, I've thought this during our poor form.

Now I know some will say it's LJ deflecting it away from him...but imo, I don't think so.

I've seen people on here saying LJ has told the players to play that way....when playing long etc.

Yet, LJ seems to think differently saying to play our way, in what we believe in, and how we played the first two thirds of the season.

Seems to be aiming a large proportion of the 'blame' at some of the players.

I know some prefer to always lay blame at the manager/coach...but why else would he say this. Seems he's underlining the fact in interviews.

Deja vu . Will he ever learn. 

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

the players cannot be criticised... if the players don't have the right skill sets ( that is not a valid argument as results and performances earlier in the season - including against arguably the country's best team - show that the players do have the skill and ability)

Neither Diedhou nor Diony played in the games against MCFC or in the ones around that time. So the group of players selected on Sunday hadn't demonstrated they had the ability to play LJ's required style: 20% of the outfield players represents a significant proportion, particularly if your style requires everyone to work together in a particular way.

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You realise that the best form of the season came immediately are he naively laid in to the players, right? 

9 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Lansdown must think we're all as rich as him

7 hours ago, lager loud said:

Neither Diedhou nor Diony played in the games against MCFC or in the ones around that time. So the group of players selected on Sunday hadn't demonstrated they had the ability to play LJ's required style: 20% of the outfield players represents a significant proportion, particularly if your style requires everyone to work together in a particular way.

These are also players Lee Johnson helped to bring in. Somebody else did this but if 3 of your players don't play this passing style easily and they play in the 2 and 4 of 4-4-2 the top of the team how can you blame the players behind them??  Lee Johnsons selection changes all.

Blaming players for his change. Lee Johnson has form for this. 

34 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

This time its a more general criticism of them by saying that unnamed players did not follow the game plan. I'm comfortable with that comment.

It's not any managers fault if his players don't adopt the style that they've been used to playing for ages. Once they're over the white line the manager can do very little to effect the game from the technical area.

Thats exactly LJ was getting at after the Cardiff defeat. Players not playing in the style he wants and he told them post match that if they don't play in the way he expects then he'll get player in that will.

I certainly don't have a problem with that at all.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's not any managers fault if his players don't adopt the style that they've been used to playing for ages. Once they're over the white line the manager can do very little to effect the game from the technical area.

Thats exactly LJ was getting at after the Cardiff defeat. Players not playing in the style he wants and he told them post match that if they don't play in the way he expects then he'll get player in that will.

I certainly don't have a problem with that at all.

What style was it Lee Johnson was attempting v Cardiff?? he tried to match up physically and selected a team that anybody would know would end up going long. Lee Johnsons selection abandoned the style the team did play as soon as he picked it. the tactics big throws fielding kicks two big uns up top anybody knows where that is heading. its Lee Johnsons tactics at this time.

what have this new players brought to Citys passing style??

and its him who will change it back by taking his error out of the team.

6 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

What style was it Lee Johnson was attempting v Cardiff?? he tried to match up physically and selected a team that anybody would know would end up going long. Lee Johnsons selection abandoned the style the team did play as soon as he picked it. the tactics big throws fielding kicks two big uns up top anybody knows where that is heading. its Lee Johnsons tactics at this time.

what have this new players brought to Citys passing style??

and its him who will change it back by taking his error out of the team.

LJ selected a team at Cardiff to match them physically as you say but the players didn't perform the way he expected despite knowing what's expected.......now is that the managers fault? 

The point is that LJ should be able to select a match day squad that he knows will play the high press, high tempo passing style and expect them to do so. If they don't.........

1 hour ago, El Hombrecito said:

You realise that the best form of the season came immediately are he naively laid in to the players, right? 

Well, just before the thrashing at PNE (4 April) we’d just gone the whole of March unbeaten including winning away at a relegation rival and stuffing ‘soon to be promoted’ Huddersfield Town 4-0 ... that wasn’t the worst form after what had happened from Oct to Feb so to choose to publicly say he didn’t trust the players at that point was unnecessary in my opinion...

The point is that LJ should be able to select a match day squad that he knows will play the high press, high tempo passing style and expect them to do so. If they don't.........

Don't expect to see Diedhiou or Diony start the next game then. The rest of the starting 11 against Cardiff have shown previously this season that they can play the high press, high tempo passing style.

Cardiff starting 11

Fielding

Wright, Flint, Baker, Magnússon

Brownhill, Reid, Smith, Bryan

Diedhiou, Diony

6 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Don't expect to see Diedhiou or Diony start the next game then. The rest of the starting 11 against Cardiff have shown previously this season that they can play the high press, high tempo passing style.

Cardiff starting 11

Fielding

Diedhiou, Diony

Not sure what point you're trying to make unless you're suggesting it was the two Frenchmen who were responsible for the team not playing way LJ expected.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Not sure what point you're trying to make unless you're suggesting it was the two Frenchmen who were responsible for the team not playing way LJ expected.

I certainly don't think having both of them in the starting 11 helped the high press, high tempo passing style.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

After Preston last season, didn't he name names? That I did not like.

This time its a more general criticism of them by saying that unnamed players did not follow the game plan. I'm comfortable with that comment.

I'm not particularly comfortable that he named names, but if everything else has been tried with no effect then I can see why players are named by managers sometimes.

That said the naming of Magnusson was shocking. He was put on without warming up, and yes he was straight away put on his backside by a Preston player who went on to score, but we were already two or three down by then. Blaming our defeat or even performance on him alone was shocking, cruel and unnecessary. 

Most people would agree the Man United game was our best performance/result this season. Many pundits complemented our style of play.

Take a look at the starting 11 for Cardiff v the starting 11 v Man Utd.

Cardiff

Fielding

Diedhiou, Diony

Man Utd

Steele

Wright, Flint, Baker, Magnússon

Brownhill, Pack, Smith, Bryan

Paterson, Reid

Go back to the Man Utd starting 11 for the next game which means leaving out the two frenchmen (Fielding for Steele being the only other change)

2 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Most people would agree the Man United game was our best performance/result this season. Many pundits complemented our style of play.

Go back to the Man Utd starting 11 for the next game which means leaving out the two frenchmen (Fielding for Steele being the only other change)

Pack was on the naughty step and didn't play at Cardiff but that point aside you seem to have or in for the Frenchmen.

Archived