IGNORED

How things are done in Germany

Erithacus

Sadly correct, I remember a few years ago Bayern Munich's chairman came out with this when questioned why they had season tickets as low as £104.

'We could charge more than £104. Let's say we charged £300. We'd get £2m more in income but what's £2m to us?

In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan.

'We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody. 'That's the biggest difference between us and England.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2318209/Bayern-Munich-season-tickets-low-104-putting-Premier-League-shame.html#ixzz58YW47B9m 

My only counter would be its' dependent on the proportion  of turnover that ticket sales represents.

It' very easy to take that stance if your bayern Munich and your income is so huge.

A more interesting question is what is the operating costs of a 2nd/3rd tier German club and what is the average salary of a player at that level compared to ours?

What proportion of operating costs does player salaries represent?

Occasionally Arminia Bielefeld make it to the Bundesliga. They only stay for a few seasons before being relegated again. Because of this, some of their stands and terracing is temporary so is put into storage when the club is lower down the pyramid. As a result, their maintenance budget is lower when not in the top flight.

2 minutes ago, 22A said:

Occasionally Arminia Bielefeld make it to the Bundesliga. They only stay for a few seasons before being relegated again. Because of this, some of their stands and terracing is temporary so is put into storage when the club is lower down the pyramid. As a result, their maintenance budget is lower when not in the top flight.

good atmosphere there too. I enjoyed my trip

I wish it was the same here.

Don't they also have free public transport to the games?

Football in Germany is seen as an essential part of the community. Something that brings everyone together.

Whether we like it or not...Football in the country is a business, and Clubs take advantage of the fact that supporters are emotionally tied to it.

The sad fact is, like most of Europe, people are more pro active and vocal at showing their disapproval and act.

We tend to complain in forums or the pubs, but still turn up with tail between our legs and end up paying begrudgingly. It's the British way.

Imo Season tickets at the moment aren't too bad. Approx £20 average a game.

My only grip is non members have to play nearly double that per game.

A season ticket guarantees you the same seat.

I don't see how Clubs justify charging people who can't make every game nearly double. Not only do they pay through the nose, they often don't get much of a choice as to where they want to sit.

Imo...they should be charged the same as Members. They just don't have the privilege of having the same seat every game.

44 minutes ago, spudski said:

I wish it was the same here.

Don't they also have free public transport to the games?

Football in Germany is seen as an essential part of the community. Something that brings everyone together.

Whether we like it or not...Football in the country is a business, and Clubs take advantage of the fact that supporters are emotionally tied to it.

The sad fact is, like most of Europe, people are more pro active and vocal at showing their disapproval and act.

We tend to complain in forums or the pubs, but still turn up with tail between our legs and end up paying begrudgingly. It's the British way.

Imo Season tickets at the moment aren't too bad. Approx £20 average a game.

My only grip is non members have to play nearly double that per game.

A season ticket guarantees you the same seat.

I don't see how Clubs justify charging people who can't make every game nearly double. Not only do they pay through the nose, they often don't get much of a choice as to where they want to sit.

Imo...they should be charged the same as Members. They just don't have the privilege of having the same seat every game.

Went to see augsburg and RB Salzburg in the summer, both had free transport from the city centre to the games, really god service especially as both stadiums are a good way outside the cities. 

Prices were very reasonable, sat on the half way line in both games (bundlesliga and europa league) for 50 quid overall, would have been cheaper if I had German student ID, great atmosphere and great quality football and a much better customer experience. 

29 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Went to see augsburg and RB Salzburg in the summer, both had free transport from the city centre to the games, really god service especially as both stadiums are a good way outside the cities

Prices were very reasonable, sat on the half way line in both games (bundlesliga and europa league) for 50 quid overall, would have been cheaper if I had German student ID, great atmosphere and great quality football and a much better customer experience. 

I know the Germans get a lot of things right when it comes to football, but one of my bugbears about watching football there is that too many of the stadiums are in the middle of nowhere (hence why the match ticket more often than not includes transport).

I've seen games at 8 of the 12 venues used in the 2006 world cup (and a couple of other German grounds too) and too often it's miles from the centre to the stadium, then when you get there you find nothing nearby...no bars, no restaurants, etc.

A minor gripe!

Archived