IGNORED

They would be playing in America.

barneyrubble

Was watching some American football couple of months ago , pretty sure it was in buffalo.The snow was in drifts and up to a couple of feet deep in places including on the pitch.Was it called off for health and safety , no chance they carried on and got it done.We have a massive couple of inches ,schools closed road chaos and if the city game is on I'm a snowman.

5 minutes ago, Barney red said:

Was watching some American football couple of months ago , pretty sure it was in buffalo.The snow was in drifts and up to a couple of feet deep in places including on the pitch.Was it called off for health and safety , no chance they carried on and got it done.We have a massive couple of inches ,schoops closed road chaos and if the city game is on I'm a snowman.

Probably more chance of the (Buffalo) club being sued for the game not being on, denying a half-time bucket of food and 3 gallons of fructose syrup, than being sued for health and safety. 

I'm joking. 

We're simply not prepared enough in the UK.  In many cases it's impossible to get to the game. It's not about intent. 

The difference is that for them it’s normal during winter, but here snow is less predictable. We could invest in snow ploughs, salt mountains and force everyone to get winter tyres but when it doesn’t snow for 3 years in a row, it would look like a daft decision. 

Same old debate every time it snows. The cost of investing in the means to deal with events like this is significantly more than the cost of just accepting a few days of lost time. 

In the UAE they have occasional instances of rain so severe that everyone has car accidents because they’re so unfamiliar with it. But they don’t invest billions in drainage to deal with a one in 5 year event  

2 minutes ago, Barney red said:

Fair points still think we're soft though children at school yesterday allowed out for 5 minutes. 

Possibly. The last episode of snow here had my daughter's school bus in a ditch with her inside. I'd never have driven in those conditions and should have kept her home. 

People ignore forecasts. Even my employer says things like "if the weather gets really bad we can leave the office" by which time it's normally impossible to get up any hill or get home.

Even today I can't find my road outside let alone use it but my employer has this second "given the go ahead" to work from home. I wouldn't dare make the effort if he'd said the opposite. It's lethal out there.  

The weather needs respect. 

11 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Possibly. The last episode of snow here had my daughter's school bus in a ditch with her inside. I'd never have driven in those conditions and should have kept her home. 

People ignore forecasts. Even my employer says things like "if the weather gets really bad we can leave the office" by which time it's normally impossible to get up any hill or get home.

Even today I can't find my road outside let alone use it but my employer has this second "given the go ahead" to work from home. I wouldn't dare make the effort if he'd said the opposite. It's lethal out there.  

The weather needs respect. 

Christ that sounds hairy about your daughter. 

Youre right thogh, all the bravado from those of a certain age is BS, this weather can and does cost lives, and in most cases it’s where people are too stupid or ignorant to listen to the advice or use their instincts. 

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Youre right thogh, all the bravado from those of a certain age is BS, this weather can and does cost lives, and in most cases it’s where people are too stupid or ignorant to listen to the advice or use their instincts. 

Bravado - that's exactly it. 

Older pensioners who try to tell me how to drive in the snow forget that when they drove all those years ago they were often driving on fresher, grippy snow. Not snow flattened with the wheel spinning of 1000 commuters baying for blood if you block their path.

Good luck out there.  

40 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Including the lives of the poor sods sent out to rescue the fools who just thought `it`s only a bit of snow`

The actual attendance will be affected as a number of people won't want to take risks just to watch a game, and how many Wednesday fans will make it? To me, it just seems logical to postpone and re-schedule for a ( Hopefully) warmer evening. If nothing else, think of matchday staff getting in, and of course, lost revenue from food/ drink sales. Will the outside food vendors make it? Will the pies be delivered?

People love to complain about us grinding to a halt but we don't get snow very often so special provisions have to be made - it would be a waste of money to prepare for it adequately as it happens to this extent so rarely.

Good thread here:

https://twitter.com/JudithFlanders/status/958072934396039168?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.otf2.com%2Fforums%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D1%26t%3D18835%26view%3Dunread%23unread

27 minutes ago, Chappers said:

The actual attendance will be affected as a number of people won't want to take risks just to watch a game, and how many Wednesday fans will make it? To me, it just seems logical to postpone and re-schedule for a ( Hopefully) warmer evening. If nothing else, think of matchday staff getting in, and of course, lost revenue from food/ drink sales. Will the outside food vendors make it? Will the pies be delivered?

Plus residents will be staying put, not freeing up spaces for fans while they're at B&Q.  Spaces will be at a massive premium and difficult to find.

21 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Plus residents will be staying put, not freeing up spaces for fans while they're at B&Q.  Spaces will be at a massive premium and difficult to find.

And a lot of side roads where people normally park will be full of snow and ice. This is pretty exceptional weather, and it just makes no sense to try and play it now, when there are quite a few free midweek dates available.

2 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

The difference is that for them it’s normal during winter, but here snow is less predictable. We could invest in snow ploughs, salt mountains and force everyone to get winter tyres but when it doesn’t snow for 3 years in a row, it would look like a daft decision. 

That’s what happened in Bristol in 1962 when there was heavy snow that stayed around for nearly 3 months. The council invested a fortune in new snow clearing machinery, from Switzerland, that could easily clear deep snow. After about 25 years without being used it was thrown away 

Archived