IGNORED

Hörður (Merged)

Port Said Red

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hope he has come through unscaved, I liked what I saw pre-injury

He looked a very decent RB for sure. Very skilled in the dark arts of Italian defending as well. 

Like most players returning after a long lay off he'll take 5 or 6 matches to get back to his pre injury fitness. Famara is only just regaining his full fitness and he's been back for.several games.

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 18:41, Port Said Red said:

I was one of those who was beginning to wonder whether the lad would learn what was required in this league, but since the last time he cost us a goal , he seems to have come back stronger and stronger. I thought that was one of his best performances today, strong in the air and on the ground and confident in his own ability. I realise that Wednesday were poor but I think that the most telling thing was that Flint looked comfortable with him there, which I can't say has been the case in the past. 
Yes, you could say he has a mistake in him, but you could say that about John Stones and how much did he cost?

John Stones has barely made a mistake this season. Starting to look cheap. 

5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

There have been games where Frankie Fielding recently has not been rolling it out or playing it to feet consistently. A obvious example was Cardiff. 

Magnussons passes are not 5/10 yards, and that is a fact. That map confirmed it. And neither were they played (spanked!!) into channels as you stated. 

Magnussons  passing ability at centre back is an asset. Note not RB.  

You have not answered the question regarding defensive error leading to goals?

I didn’t say anything about spanking balls into channels? 

They quite clearly are all very short passes, the longer ones are mainly across the box to flint. 

When has he ever played RB? 

We both know there have been numerous occasions, no need to be pedantic just because you don’t like my opinion.

He is improving but at the moment is still not in the top 3 CB at the club 

8 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I didn’t say anything about spanking balls into channels? 

They quite clearly are all very short passes, the longer ones are mainly across the box to flint. 

When has he ever played RB? 

We both know there have been numerous occasions, no need to be pedantic just because you don’t like my opinion.

He is improving but at the moment is still not in the top 3 CB at the club 

I confused your post with BS4reds on tour. Apologies. And I meant FB. Might have to get more pedantic on my own posts.

Magnússon does not make five/ten yard p[asses all game. His average passing length is beyond (well) that. I did not need a stats serviced to tell me that. Simple yes, longer than a Flint, Baker ... Bailey Wright is playing it shortest  by some %. Those points I did look up. 

We both know ... No we do not. I looked it up out of interest to confirm something I thought. This can be our own confirmation bias, people in this thread are displaying it. Magnússon has a very similar propensity to make error leading to goals as Flint. A low one.

Played in the centre Magnussons passing and play alters. You as somebody who has played a bit of football will know the passing patterns are different, and performance capacity linked to technical ability thus changes. Magnússon passing accuracy changes significantly when moved to centre back as does his play. Bange average to really quite good(and better) at one element - Passing. In a supposedly possession based team passing has to a valued asset.

15 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'd definitely have Bailey over Mags if he's fit. Though i expect both play if Baker is still out as pisano might be rested. 

Horses for courses. IMO if a player is to play on the left side of defence, they really need to be left footed. I've been underwhelmed whenever I've watched BW play there because his left footed distribution just isn't good enough. At the start of the season, when he partnered Baker on the RH side he looked a completely different and better player. If Bakes isn't fit then Mags should keep his place.

Blowing my own argument out of the water, what a new dimension Joe offered us on Saturday when he switched to RB. Defenders aren't used to a FB cutting inside. It may prove to be an interesting tactical switch to make from time to time.

16 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Frankie literally rolls it to baker and flint exactly the same and has done all season. 

Magnússon played 5/10 yard passes all game to flint or Bryan and sometimes pack when he dropped in. Anybody who’s played a bit of football can do that.

He is still the weak link in our team and performing to a standard the same as everyone else on Saturday doesn’t mean he has become a good player for us yet.

Have to agree to disagree on him. If baker is fit Magnússon doesn’t play simple

Frankie had stopped rolling it out till saturday when he mixed it up far more and was using Mags the most. Wants to start mixing it up his including his goal kicks. Magnússon and Fielding wasted less satuday surely that's better than what went on at Cardiff???

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

He's an integral part of the team and was sorely missed as we saw on Saturday.

I think he will be an integral part of the team if he can stay fit. But he isn't at the moment - he's only played a handful of games for us up to now. And we have done pretty well without him, particularly pre-Christmas.

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I confused your post with BS4reds on tour. Apologies. And I meant FB. Might have to get more pedantic on my own posts.

Magnússon does not make five/ten yard p[asses all game. His average passing length is beyond (well) that. I did not need a stats serviced to tell me that. Simple yes, longer than a Flint, Baker ... Bailey Wright is playing it shortest  by some %. Those points I did look up. 

We both know ... No we do not. I looked it up out of interest to confirm something I thought. This can be our own confirmation bias, people in this thread are displaying it. Magnússon has a very similar propensity to make error leading to goals as Flint. A low one.

Played in the centre Magnussons passing and play alters. You as somebody who has played a bit of football will know the passing patterns are different, and performance capacity linked to technical ability thus changes. Magnússon passing accuracy changes significantly when moved to centre back as does his play. Bange average to really quite good(and better) at one element - Passing. In a supposedly possession based team passing has to a valued asset.

I understand your point from a passing sense, his average pass length on Saturday was between 12 and 15 yards, I’d suggest from playing experience that’s a relatively simple short pass. He also played the ball back to Frankie on 11 occasions.

I understand your points, his errors have come at LB and perhaps haven’t led to goals directly but could have been stopped from him imo. 

All perceptions at the end of the day. Think i prefer my CB in a flint and baker mould 

3 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I understand your point from a passing sense, his average pass length on Saturday was between 12 and 15 yards, I’d suggest from playing experience that’s a relatively simple short pass. He also played the ball back to Frankie on 11 occasions.

I understand your points, his errors have come at LB and perhaps haven’t led to goals directly but could have been stopped from him imo. 

All perceptions at the end of the day. Think i prefer my CB in a flint and baker mould 

In each of your posts  Magnússon’s passes are increasing in length … You now confirm he does not play it five/ten yards all game.

I mentioned confirmation bias in a post.  A thing about perceptions is they are not evidenced based and factual.

In the first post in this thread it mentions John Stones and always having a mistake in him. All players make mistakes, It does not bear scrutiny, John Stones is less likely to make a mistake due to his passing ability.

On a more humbler level; the same is true about Magnússon, performance stats are of a similar level to other players in similar positions. 1v1 similar (Flint is top) but above Bailey Wright, blocks /interceptions similar to the full backs, mistakes low … There is nothing bar peoples bias to back up this perception of Magnússon being error prone or two weak unless it is being 7% weaker in challenges than Flint which makes Baker weak, and Bailey Wright a comparative fairy because he loses out more than Magnússon.

My opinion is that some fans still have outmoded views that defenders should be hard, kick it long and not fanny about with it back there … And that is where football has moved on.

Possession is defending and attacking. Each wayward pass, each whatever it is Frankie is doing (at times) is error, Bristol City at Cardiff being barely able to pass to each other that is truly having mistakes within you.

Looking at Bristol City pragmatically. If the project, the identity is to be a modern passing team it needs footballers in as many positions as possible. Starting at the back. A team playing in this manner must have a ball player at CB, and that is where Magnússon skill set could easily be an asset.

Flint is phenom who is an automatic selection.

Magnússon Saturday went sideways, backwards, forwards as necessary. He switches the ball well, misses one out and can penetrate with passes. He retains, releases, repeats … Allowing players up the pitch more opportunity to do what they do well. That is modern football. He Saturday did it very very well.  

38 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

In each of your posts  Magnússon’s passes are increasing in length … You now confirm he does not play it five/ten yards all game.

I mentioned confirmation bias in a post.  A thing about perceptions is they are not evidenced based and factual.

In the first post in this thread it mentions John Stones and always having a mistake in him. All players make mistakes, It does not bear scrutiny, John Stones is less likely to make a mistake due to his passing ability.

On a more humbler level; the same is true about Magnússon, performance stats are of a similar level to other players in similar positions. 1v1 similar (Flint is top) but above Bailey Wright, blocks /interceptions similar to the full backs, mistakes low … There is nothing bar peoples bias to back up this perception of Magnússon being error prone or two weak unless it is being 7% weaker in challenges than Flint which makes Baker weak, and Bailey Wright a comparative fairy because he loses out more than Magnússon.

My opinion is that some fans still have outmoded views that defenders should be hard, kick it long and not fanny about with it back there … And that is where football has moved on.

Possession is defending and attacking. Each wayward pass, each whatever it is Frankie is doing (at times) is error, Bristol City at Cardiff being barely able to pass to each other that is truly having mistakes within you.

Looking at Bristol City pragmatically. If the project, the identity is to be a modern passing team it needs footballers in as many positions as possible. Starting at the back. A team playing in this manner must have a ball player at CB, and that is where Magnússon skill set could easily be an asset.

Flint is phenom who is an automatic selection.

Magnússon Saturday went sideways, backwards, forwards as necessary. He switches the ball well, misses one out and can penetrate with passes. He retains, releases, repeats … Allowing players up the pitch more opportunity to do what they do well. That is modern football. He Saturday did it very very well.  

Agreed they have got further but I think it depends how far you think a short pass is really probably should have said that originally but I think 20 yards and below is a short pass.

I have a massive passion for football and quality football mate, I literally spend my days coaching and like to think I’m pretty good at it. I just don’t think Hörður is in the same level as Stones defensively etc to let his passing make up for his shortcomings. 

Without looking at the stats id say flint passing can’t be far off Magnússon which is a huge improvement of flints

I was waiting for Magnússon out brigade to start.

Ball comes over, he dosnt believe Frankie will make it (no idea why he decided to come that far out?!) so decides to try clear but mis kicks and they score - bad mistake but not the worst performance tonight and generally been better recently. 

But obviously we need a scape goat for tonight, and you can’t possibly berate Smith and Bryan for not clearing the ball for 2nd goal, or Flint for stupidly getting sent off...: 

1 minute ago, brad blit said:

Ball comes over, he dosnt believe Frankie will make it (no idea why he decided to come that far out?!) so decides to try clear but mis kicks and they score - bad mistake but not the worst performance tonight and generally been better recently. 

But obviously we need a scape goat for tonight, and you can’t possibly berate Smith and Bryan for not clearing the ball for 2nd goal, or Flint for stupidly getting sent off...: 

He is nowhere near good enough and makes horrendous mistakes. Not just this game! 

On 05/03/2018 at 13:55, Collis1 said:

God, I hate 'Huh' - American shit. Didn't your parents teach you any manners?:P

As someone else mentioned, I must have been watching a different game. But, the game I was watching Maggers was bringing the ball out defence and getting involved with some pretty intricate passes with Pack/Smith. Whilst its true Flint has improved his distribution, I have never seen him do this to the extent of Maggers on Saturday.

HUH.

respectfully, leave my parents out of a football debate please.

You originally said he isn’t capable of bringing the ball out and making those passes, which is incorrect.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

He is nowhere near good enough and makes horrendous mistakes. Not just this game! 

All players make mistakes and don’t forget how we all thought Flint was bad when he first joined. Defenders will always be punished for mistakes, but I do believe there is a good footballer there if we can install a tougher mentality and improve his decision making. A run in the team will help and he will get that now 

He’s obviously a lovely bloke, but....those continual, costly hesitant errors (Cardiff home and away, Man City at home etc etc) and tonight’s absolute disaster for their first goal unfortunately mean he doesn’t look like he’s good enough for Bristol City when we are in the championship...a real shame, but he just ain’t learning from his mistakes...and they are costly at this level...

16 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Having been at the game, his overall play was quite good and he had a very good header just cleared over. 

For their first; has Fielding called for it? If he has and Mags ignores him, it's Mags fault but if they aren't communicating then it's just always going to be a mess.

Fielding should never have been that far out mind, once he saw Mags going for the ball he should've been backtracking. 

The slice happens all the time, you should never have the opposition score from that angle unless it is entirely due to the keeper being miles out of position. 

Yes, Magnússon has made an error - poor attempt to clear. But why has Frankie come out so far?

I may be in the minority here but I’m blaming Frankie for their first goal...if you come that far you have to get the ball. He should be putting a name on it and shouting from the roof tops.

Koreys error for their second goal was much, much worse in my opinion...either ease the man off the ball or take him out high up the pitch.

To be honest I don’t really understand why Magnússon seems to be such a fan favourite at City, maybe because of the fact he gets involved on Social Media or that he’s and Icelandic International but I really don’t think he’s good enough for the Championship! Especially not a team who want to make a push for promotion. I’d say he probably has 1 good game in every 4, don’t get me wrong his throw ins are a huge threat but the amount of times he plays diags and loses possession is a joke. I think he’s a bit weak on the ball and when someone is running at him I am not filled with confidence. When all fit/not banned hopefully a Back 4 of Pisano, Flint, Baker and Bryan will sort the problem.

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He seems to have a particular weakness v physical, pacy sides I think...sides like these seem to really magnify the weaknesses in his game.

Been saying for ages he has a balance / agility issue - never looks balanced or comfortable 

Can’t cope with English football IMO

Hes mid 20s , not a fledgling youngster 

Not good enough IMHO (If we are aiming to be a challenging Champ Club)

Never looked like he is IMHO

And any improvement in 2 seasons with us ? 

Archived