IGNORED

Police presence

GrahamC

18 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Not really much point in me answering the question then .

its a question that many persons involved and interested in the world of football policing ask every week.

were there no issues because the police were there? 

Would there have been issues if they weren’t there?

the simple answer is no one knows. 

What I do know though is that if the police weren’t there on Saturday then someone convicted of a football offence and on a football ban would not have been arrested or detected.

We would not have been able to reunite a lost boy with his dad on winter stoke road 

We would not have been able to assist stewards with a particularly violent Male who was being ejected and then calm down several other family members 

we dont just deal with violence and fights.some fans as previously mentioned on this  forum feel reassured by police presence.

i don’t think we can win whatever we do but all I can do is explain why we do things !! 

I fully understand the need for a certain amount of Police officers to be at the stadium. I just wanted to know why there were so many, when most people believe it to be unnecessary.......and most will think that just two arrests on the day, cornfirms that opinion.

Also, if someone pays to watch a game of football, as a law abiding tax payer, should they accept their view of that game should be obscured by a Police officer stood facing them?

50 minutes ago, lenred said:

I'm sorry but it was completely and utterly over the top on Saturday and by hook or by crook we all have to pay for it.  I spoke to two of your colleagues after the game and they admitted that they too were also surprised at the number of police present. There was absolutely no need for it at all. It must've cost a small fortune. 

A Clatyton nonetheless though. Be interested to know how much it did cost. I was at the game with my 5yr old lad, the police we saw did look quite intimidating with the shields & batons but once I told him they were there to make sure he behaved one of them cracked a smile and engaged in some banter. I expect they were as bored as we were surprised! 

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

Not really much point in me answering the question then .

its a question that many persons involved and interested in the world of football policing ask every week.

were there no issues because the police were there? 

Would there have been issues if they weren’t there?

the simple answer is no one knows. 

What I do know though is that if the police weren’t there on Saturday then someone convicted of a football offence and on a football ban would not have been arrested or detected.

We would not have been able to reunite a lost boy with his dad on winter stoke road 

We would not have been able to assist stewards with a particularly violent Male who was being ejected and then calm down several other family members 

we dont just deal with violence and fights.some fans as previously mentioned on this  forum feel reassured by police presence.

i don’t think we can win whatever we do but all I can do is explain why we do things !! 

That is showing desperation. How come there are next to no OB around to help “lost boys reunite with there daddy on Winterstoke road” when the rugby is on?  I do not expect you to answer the question.

Come on! This is b*ll*x you are posting here. There was complete and utter overkill last Saturday and you are still trying to defend it, when at a rugby game, you are lucky to see any OB. Crap reply! Never trust you lot for the truth. Corrupt!

39 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

A Clatyton nonetheless though. Be interested to know how much it did cost. I was at the game with my 5yr old lad, the police we saw did look quite intimidating with the shields & batons but once I told him they were there to make sure he behaved one of them cracked a smile and engaged in some banter. I expect they were as bored as we were surprised! 

There was one(from Gloucestershire police) sat on the bonnet of a police car,on the way back to the bus stop in Bower Ashton,who looked so bored he could have burst into tears.

25 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

There was one(from Gloucestershire police) sat on the bonnet of a police car,on the way back to the bus stop in Bower Ashton,who looked so bored he could have burst into tears.

He was a tri force dog handler

no other forces were on duty on Saturday 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

No shields were deployed on Saturday, not sure what you saw the officer carrying but definitely would not have been a shield 

Is this the best we can offer? Long awaited victory and we still need something to moan about?

Well my experience of A&S today was second to none. Get stuck in the snow at Marshfield and get locked out of the bloody car. No phone no coat no nuffink.

AA are called. They arrive after 3 hours. Police get there and stay there much sooner and for a good 90 minutes.

Officer tells me he was on duty on Saturday at BS3. I ask why so many? He refers to cancelled demonstration too.

Now ok he could be lying too. Somehow I doubt it. It is what it is. They were superb today.

Just a bit of balance. 

21 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Simple - you did!!

I am thinking more specifically about whether the club has been billed for the extra police that were already on duty but in need of something to occupy themselves with, it's also a pity that these extra police could not be found for our home game against Cardiff, a decision that lost the club revenue.

8 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Is this the best we can offer? Long awaited victory and we still need something to moan about?

Well my experience of A&S today was second to none. Get stuck in the snow at Marshfield and get locked out of the bloody car. No phone no coat no nuffink.

AA are called. They arrive after 3 hours. Police get there and stay there much sooner and for a good 90 minutes.

Officer tells me he was on duty on Saturday at BS3. I ask why so many? He refers to cancelled demonstration too.

Now ok he could be lying too. Somehow I doubt it. It is what it is. They were superb today.

Just a bit of balance. 

That's great for you. However your story is completely separate and doesn't answer the question of why there was a complete overkill in terms of riot police at a relatively low level Bristol City game (including riot cops in the ground yet again and including foreign forces) and who will have to pay for it as a result. 

29 minutes ago, JulieH said:

No shields were deployed on Saturday, not sure what you saw the officer carrying but definitely would not have been a shield 

It was Captain America just checking up on the hoolies.....:laughcont:

29 minutes ago, phantom said:

Am I the only person who can't understand why these police were redeployed and not actually sent home as they were no longer required? 

Seems a big waste of money and resources 

They needed to reunite a lost boy with his dad on Winterstoke road. Absolute heroes the lot of them. We can only thank god they were all there in their riot gear to help.

13 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

They needed to reunite a lost boy with his dad on Winterstoke road. Absolute heroes the lot of them. We can only thank god they were all there in their riot gear to help.

When you need an excuse, and one just happens to turn up.

I am going to don my tin hat here and make a couple of tentative posts... Queries, theories.

1) Are the Willem II fans politically affiliated in any way? A lot of European ultras are, so it's a theory- and that is all it is- a theory, a shot in the dark.

2) What are Willem II fans like for pyrotechnics and flares? It's not a huge deal, but as we all know, they are a lot more common place in Europe...the club, let alone the SAG, EFL, FA, police see it as a huge issue, don't they. Police presence to help deter use of flares, or intent to use, that sort of thing...

I will readily admit I don't know much about the Willem II fans or relationship with City, however it wouldn't surprise me if these 2, and especially point 2, played a part in the police presence Saturday.

I realised my mistake and amended to Willem II from Twente accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am going to don my tin hat here and make a couple of tentative posts... Queries, theories.

1) Are the Twente fans politically affiliated in any way? A lot of European ultras are, so it's a theory- and that is all it is- a theory, a shot in the dark.

2) What are Twente fans like for pyrotechnics and flares? It's not a huge deal, but as we all know, they are a lot more common place in Europe...the club, let alone the SAG, EFL, FA, police see it as a huge issue, don't they. Police presence to help deter use of flares, or intent to use, that sort of thing...

I think there were about 50 of them mate. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

1) Are the Twente fans politically affiliated in any way? A lot of European ultras are, so it's a theory- and that is all it is- a theory, a shot in the dark.

2) What are Twente fans like for pyrotechnics and flares? It's not a huge deal, but as we all know, they are a lot more common place in Europe...the club, let alone the SAG, EFL, FA, police see it as a huge issue, don't they. Police presence to help deter use of flares, or intent to use, that sort of thing...

Willem II of Tilburg mate, not Twente of Enschede. 

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

1) Are the Willem II fans politically affiliated in any way? A lot of European ultras are, so it's a theory- and that is all it is- a theory, a shot in the dark.

2) What are Willem II fans like for pyrotechnics and flares? It's not a huge deal, but as we all know, they are a lot more common place in Europe...the club, let alone the SAG, EFL, FA, police see it as a huge issue, don't they. Police presence to help deter use of flares, or intent to use, that sort of thing...

I will readily admit I don't know much about the Willem II fans or relationship with City, however it wouldn't surprise me if these 2, and especially point 2, played a part in the police presence Saturday.

I realised my mistake and amended to Willem II from Twente accordingly.

No political affiliations.

No pyro risk in the stadium. 50 easily identified men walking as a group from the Lions to the grounf so no problem searching them if needed.

OTT OB (again)

On 3/3/2018 at 22:28, JulieH said:

4 Dutch police officers assisted us with policing of the Dutch fans , none of whom presented any policing issues as a result 

That may not be correct.

I feel there may be some vital clues below.

On 3/3/2018 at 20:26, Harry said:

Basically crapped themselves because Willem were here. They don’t seem to grasp that we are friends and show each other generous hospitality with zero trouble. For some reason they think it’s all about trouble. 

On 3/4/2018 at 18:46, willem ii said:

So you will say that because the 4 police officers from Tilburg were, there were no policing issues with the Dutch fans.

Do you really believe in fairytales. We’re over for a party with our brothers from Bristol and see our second club play.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Am I the only person who can't understand why these police were redeployed and not actually sent home as they were no longer required? 

Seems a big waste of money and resources 

I don’t see an issue with it they were rostered on too work so they worked. How many people would be happy turning up for work only to be told go home you’re not needed. Police Officers have families and mortgages too

33 minutes ago, Big C said:

I don’t see an issue with it they were rostered on too work so they worked. How many people would be happy turning up for work only to be told go home you’re not needed. Police Officers have families and mortgages too

While I agree with the sentiment...agency work especially this is prevalent in.

When I state agency work, I don't necessarily mean the standard type. I'm talking a call centre, full time work i.e. 9-5 with an hour for lunch.

Bulk of staff were agency. Too little data? Send some people home. Run out of data prematurely? No problem! Whole team relieved of duties... Then some of better ones called back.

I don't expect much of many employers, don't exactly have high expectations, but this was a liberal, charity ethos place based in Bristol... Yet treated many of their workers like crap. So do a lot of employers, but their ethos etc made it worse.  Scuzzy *******...

Sorry for deviating off the topic but basically that sort of thing, those practices are perhaps more commonplace than many would realise.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

While I agree with the sentiment...agency work especially this is prevalent in.

When I state agency work, I don't necessarily mean the standard type. I'm talking a call centre, full time work i.e. 9-5 with an hour for lunch.

Bulk of staff were agency. Too little data? Send some people home. Run out of data prematurely? No problem! Whole team relieved of duties... Then some of better ones called back.

I don't expect much of many employers, don't exactly have high expectations, but this was a liberal, charity ethos place based in Bristol... Yet treated many of their workers like crap. So do a lot of employers, but their ethos etc made it worse.  Scuzzy *******...

Sorry for deviating off the topic but basically that sort of thing, those practices are perhaps more commonplace than many would realise.

Name & Shame! In my place the staff in what I guess is termed the Call Centre are all FT employees on 37.5hr a week contracts with a decent benefits package incl non-contrib pension and a share incentive plan. Not all Call Centres are bad, I guess. 

• Admin
10 hours ago, Big C said:

People are sent home all the time if their job is dependent on the number of people being served

You'll see it in restaurants / bars etc all the time 

Archived