IGNORED

Good Management by Lee

Port Said Red

10 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Bloody hell, you of ALL people should recognise when someone has their own agenda!

Remember? "conference manager"? Negativity week after week

Of course LJ has his own agenda. I find it easy to see but unfortunately some others can't see it.

What I like about LJ in particular is the way he tries to play attractive football. Yesterday forcexmplecwasca delight to watch.

However, his dad's version of football was so dull, dreary and uninspired that I slagged him off. The pray off final year City had a +1 goal difference which says it all really.

1 hour ago, marmite said:

I am sometimes one of those who wants the team to be more attacking minded when in possession. Sometimes going from the opposition penalty area to our own whilst maintaining possession can be frustrating. It feels like we are doing the other teams attacking for them and we often end up just pumping it forward again anyway. When possession football works its great but I remember too many games when we have given the other team the incentive to press us when we play it backwards. Just my view and I respect other views but I am a bit old school with my thinking. We don't score too many from our own half!

There are several reasons why this happens, and i’m sure the qualified coaches on here will confirm / dismiss:

• the obvious one is that a forward pass or incisive pass isn’t on
  • when a team is in shape, you have to show patience, keeping the ball will eventually lead to a defender switching off from marking his opponent or an overload will occur
  • youve just had a series of pressing triggers and are using the possession to get a breather
  • etc

21 hours ago, cityexile said:

I am in one of those moods were I find it hard to look at the table and not think 'if we only had those two extra points from Sunderland...'

At times we will play this way and it will look like we are trying to over complicate it, but very happy with the result. If we lose to a team that beats us on the day, but we are trying to play our way, well, it happens. Got it right today. Stick out our best team, and let the opposition worry about us.

Add the two points from Leeds and three from Wolves. 

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There are several reasons why this happens, and i’m sure the qualified coaches on here will confirm / dismiss:

• the obvious one is that a forward pass or incisive pass isn’t on
  • when a team is in shape, you have to show patience, keeping the ball will eventually lead to a defender switching off from marking his opponent or an overload will occur
  • youve just had a series of pressing triggers and are using the possession to get a breather
  • etc

You are quite right Davefevs but so is Marmite. There is now a tendency in modern football, to receive a pass and immediately turn towards one's own goal. It's a almost like an inbuilt safety mechanism. I know it can be easier sometimes for fans on the terraces to see openings in front than players in a crowded midfield. If I was coach, I would tell my team to be cautious when receiving the ball in one's own half but in the opposition half, be more adventurous and go forward. 

I really believe that the brave are rewarded for their initiative. It's a bit like the old adage that if you never make a decision, you can never be wrong. 

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You are quite right Davefevs but so is Marmite. There is now a tendency in modern football, to receive a pass and immediately turn towards one's own goal. It's a almost like an inbuilt safety mechanism. I know it can be easier sometimes for fans on the terraces to see openings in front than players in a crowded midfield. If I was coach, I would tell my team to be cautious when receiving the ball in one's own half but in the opposition half, be more adventurous and go forward. 

I really believe that the brave are rewarded for their initiative. It's a bit like the old adage that if you never make a decision, you can never be wrong. 

Yeah, absolutely.  Wasn’t sating @marmitewas wrong, just offering a reason(s) why.  

3 hours ago, marmite said:

I am sometimes one of those who wants the team to be more attacking minded when in possession. Sometimes going from the opposition penalty area to our own whilst maintaining possession can be frustrating. It feels like we are doing the other teams attacking for them and we often end up just pumping it forward again anyway. When possession football works its great but I remember too many games when we have given the other team the incentive to press us when we play it backwards. Just my view and I respect other views but I am a bit old school with my thinking. We don't score too many from our own half!

Modern football is regularly a game of patience.  A game of patience that did not exist in the past due to less flexibility in formation.

Teams don't match up anymore 4-4-2 out of possession. Teams do not man mark in the manner they did. The individual on the ball rarely finds himself 1v1 with space to hit behind. True wingers have almost disappeared due to the progression of having holding midfield/midfield players who shift across the pitch screen and offering support to team mates.

In the past a Pritchard,  Smith, Walsh frequently had one player to beat to get to the by line ... Now it be will be two/three players or two defensive compact lines. 

Team cross less, dribble less and teams are also far fitter, run further to cover each other than at any point in history .

A players first thought is can I penetrate (pass, cross, dribble ..) the line as it always was but the answer now is very frequently no so they start again, sideways, backwards attempting to shift the opposition ... And on.

Why do people focus on particular games? 

If we'd done that or this against so and so, just don't get it. Judge over the season, which no matter what happens from now on in is going to be a big improvement on the last two. We could still make the play-offs, I think we'll finish short but still a great season. 

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Not sure about immediately but read about Man City spend less time in the final third than teams below them because that's how they pull the opposition out. 

Archived