IGNORED

Marlon Marlon Marlon

allyolly

I thought Pack had a really good game. His suspension might end up working in our favour - he looked really fresh and eager today and I think the enforced break may have done him good. It was his best performance for a while. 

22 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Hang on, i thought he was slow, tries too many hollywood balls and we are better with anyone else in his place?!

1st name on the sheet for me. With reid, smith, pack, baker and bryan. :blink:

A much better player when he doesn’t try the “Hollywood” balls, I took a bit of stick last week for having a dig at him but have to say he was excellent today and would definitely of been motm if it wasn’t for Bobby’s hat-trick

Missed you today @allyolly on the magical mystery GWR train home. Pack was a class act today, I want to say best passer of the ball at our club but then Flint goes and plays that slide rule pass through 4 defenders to Diedhiou in the first half which could have been out of this world.

So much better with Pack and Korey in CM and thank you Section 82 for starting the Korey chants because the bloke is utterly immense and needs to hear it.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Missed you today @allyolly on the magical mystery GWR train home. Pack was a class act today, I want to say best passer of the ball at our club but then Flint goes and plays that slide rule pass through 4 defenders to Diedhiou in the first half which could have been out of this world.

So much better with Pack and Korey in CM and thank you Section 82 for starting the Korey chants because the bloke is utterly immense and needs to hear it.

Flintys distribution has become absurdly good lately. He looks so out of control when he passes it but he had a couple over the top today that would have put players through 1 on 1 if it wasnt for fouls.

I’ve said it before, you are going to struggle to get two better central midfielders doing what they are asked to do than Smith & Pack. Or at least have to part with some serious cash! Best central pair I possibly can remember for City. COYR 

15 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Flintys distribution has become absurdly good lately. He looks so out of control when he passes it but he had a couple over the top today that would have put players through 1 on 1 if it wasnt for fouls.

And one defence splitting pass along the ground that was top class.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

His passing is what makes us tick. Tricks so many opposition players in to thinking he's going to pass out wide, then slides it centrally to either Reid or Pato who are on his wave length. Without him we often lose that connection.

some of his reverse passing this season has been top drawer... badly missed last two games

16 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Pep Guardiola was certainly impressed with him and I think he is having a darned good season.  I agree with the op that the suspension seems to have done him a favour on the freshness front.  Our midfield certainly seems more balanced with both him and Korey in it.

Indeed Pep did praise Pack. He admired the way Marlon performed in both games 

Pack won't get a better accolade in his entire career.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Indeed Pep did praise Pack. He admired the way Marlon performed in both games 

Pack won't get a better accolade in his entire career.

Neither will Bailey Wright who, bizarrely, Pep also singled out as a ‘good footballer’.

This was before the first leg and I got the impression he hadn’t really researched us. Wild speculation from Pep.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Neither will Bailey Wright who, bizarrely, Pep also singled out as a ‘good footballer’.

This was before the first leg and I got the impression he hadn’t really researched us. Wild speculation from Pep.

Wright is not only a good footballer, he's a leader on the pitch and it was that I think that Pep was referring to. Unfortunately Peps command of English isn't fluent enough yet to express himself as he would in his mother tongue.

17 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Apart from Leeds where it was uncharacteristically poor....otherwise it is an area he has improved massively.

3 hours ago, Simon79 said:

I’ve said it before, you are going to struggle to get two better central midfielders doing what they are asked to do than Smith & Pack. Or at least have to part with some serious cash! Best central pair I possibly can remember for City. COYR 

Goals is the only lacking element, if you could roll that element into either of them, they’d probably be in the Prem. 

Couple that with Flint / Baker (Assuming the new contract isn’t a tactic to get a bigger bid in the summer?) and Diedhiou / Reid, that’s a really good spine.  Bobby deserves a contract aligned to our other higher earners.  He’s the player I fear losing most.

That’s 6 starters, and I haven’t talked about Bryan and Brownhill, nor Paterson, who at times has been so creative.  That does mean the summer can be spent looking at upgrades.  We don’t need squad fillers any more.  Recruitment can be totally concentrated.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Wright is not only a good footballer, he's a leader on the pitch and it was that I think that Pep was referring to. Unfortunately Peps command of English isn't fluent enough yet to express himself as he would in his mother tongue.

Glad LJ came out last night and said Bailey has had an injury concern for a few weeks, because I've commented a few times that "Mr Consistency" has dipped in form of late.  Hope he’s back soon, might be in contention on Tuesday...he’ll be desperate to play against PNE, and it’ll be interesting to know how Pisano feels today after his comeback.

Thought he was excellent yesterday and first half in particular it almost seemed too easy for him at times, I've seen another thread mentioning the amount of disguised passes he was playing. 

There is a section in Michael Cox's book 'The Mixer' how long horizontal passes get lots of applause from fans when a 10 yard forward pass into the forward players can go largely unnoticed even though it is much more dangerous and harder pass to play. This is where Pack was excellent yesterday. The amount of times he played (mainly disguised) passes that broke the midfield line and found Reid, Paterson or Brownhill in space running at their back line was remarkable and to be fair I guess says as much about how poor Wednesday were as much as how well Pack played.

I think he's been very impressive in the two years since Johnson became manager and has developed into a very, very good player at this level. As I think I've said on here previously, for the vast majority of games he'd probably only be behind Bobby and Baker when it comes to being the first name on the team sheet for me.

The type of player he is though he will always have some that aren't completely sold on him. For example in the Man United game the bloke I heard shouting 'do something Pack' even though he was busy giving 89 million pound Paul Pogba a lesson in how to play midfield..

Archived