IGNORED

DavideAstori .. Roger Bannister .. tragic and sad day

WhistleHappy

Incredibly sad news about Davide Astori, absolutely no age, peak of physical fitness, just goes to bring home the fragility of health and therefore life...

RIP Davide Astori, condolences to family, friends, Fiorentina.....

As for Sir Roger, legend, will always be remembered.....RIP sir

Astori's captain at international level Gianluigi Buffon paid a glowing tribute to his friend. He said: "You have a young wife and family members who are suffering. Your little girl deserves to know that her father was in all respects a perfect person. You were the best expression of an ancient, surpassed world, in which values such as altruism, elegance, education and respect for others, were the masters.

"You were one of the best sports figures I came across."

Absolute class from Buffon....:clap:

RIP to both,

Bannister lived an amazing life, it's always sad when someone passes away, but Astori is desperately sad at just 31 and as the active captain of a team so passionately supported.

A tribute to him from a teammate that I read on the BBC website was really chilling for me:

Fiorentina midfielder Riccardo Saponara pays tribute to Astori in a heartfelt post on Instagram:

Oh captain, my captain. Why did you not come down to have breakfast with us all? Why did you not pick up your shoes from outside of (goalkeeper) Marco Sportiello's room and then drink your orange juice, as usual?

Now they will tell us that life goes on, that we must look forward and pick ourselves up, but what will your absence taste like? Who will arrive every morning in the cafeteria, warming up everyone with his smile?

Who will ask us about what we did the previous night and have a laugh about it? Who will nurture the youngsters and give a sense of responsibility to the veterans? Who will form the circle to work on our 'two-touch play' and who will demolish Marco on the PlayStation?

With whom will we debate about Masterchef, Florence's restaurants, TV series or games played? Who will I lean on at lunch after a tiring training session? Come on, come back. You still need to finish watching La La Land to analyse like you did with all new movies.

Come back to Florence, they are waiting for you to renew your contract and acknowledge all the good and the positivity that you bring to us on a daily basis. Get out of that damn room, we will be waiting for you tomorrow at training.

In life there are people you've known forever but have never bonded with, and then there are the 'Davides', who warm to you immediately with a simple 'Welcome to Florence, Ricky'.

Wherever you are now, keep on defending our goal and enlighten the right path for us from the backline. Oh captain, my captain. Forever, my captain.

19 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

RIP to both,

Bannister lived an amazing life, it's always sad when someone passes away, but Astori is desperately sad at just 31 and as the active captain of a team so passionately supported.

A tribute to him from a teammate that I read on the BBC website was really chilling for me:

Fiorentina midfielder Riccardo Saponara pays tribute to Astori in a heartfelt post on Instagram:

Oh captain, my captain. Why did you not come down to have breakfast with us all? Why did you not pick up your shoes from outside of (goalkeeper) Marco Sportiello's room and then drink your orange juice, as usual?

Now they will tell us that life goes on, that we must look forward and pick ourselves up, but what will your absence taste like? Who will arrive every morning in the cafeteria, warming up everyone with his smile?

Who will ask us about what we did the previous night and have a laugh about it? Who will nurture the youngsters and give a sense of responsibility to the veterans? Who will form the circle to work on our 'two-touch play' and who will demolish Marco on the PlayStation?

With whom will we debate about Masterchef, Florence's restaurants, TV series or games played? Who will I lean on at lunch after a tiring training session? Come on, come back. You still need to finish watching La La Land to analyse like you did with all new movies.

Come back to Florence, they are waiting for you to renew your contract and acknowledge all the good and the positivity that you bring to us on a daily basis. Get out of that damn room, we will be waiting for you tomorrow at training.

In life there are people you've known forever but have never bonded with, and then there are the 'Davides', who warm to you immediately with a simple 'Welcome to Florence, Ricky'.

Wherever you are now, keep on defending our goal and enlighten the right path for us from the backline. Oh captain, my captain. Forever, my captain.

Might be the saddest thing I've ever read that.

Terrible, terrible loss to Italian football, and football as a whole.

Archived