IGNORED

Garry Monk new Birmingham manager

UpTheReds

i dont get this appointment.how can the birmingham board see it as a good thing to try this late in the season when cotts and arry couldnt get them firing. one hell of a gamble and i hope it all goes seriously tits up for them going to be a costly time for them if it does go wrong.

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why don’t you like Mr Monk?

Perhaps I should have said I would rather beat Brum with Monk in charge, instead of prolonging Cotts' agony.

Not really bothered by Monk to be honest, although he did throw a hissy fit when in charge of Leeds at AG.

13 minutes ago, harrys said:

Amazing how some managers seem to continually get decent jobs despite failure after failure

City old boys McClaren and Moyes seem a popular choice for this but the list goes on and on.

It's almost seems that some Club's would prefer to hire a confirmed failure than take a chance on creating a new one.

Bizarre choice by both the individual and the club.

Clearly Brums owner wants to stay up but giving it to a bloke who has not operated at the level of pressure he is walking in to is distictly odd ............but then they fired Rowett and gave Zola the gig.

I feel sorry for their supporters but as for the owner, I hope they get relegated.........

Just read the BBC article - 3.5 year deal and bringing in his coaching team........that is a big compensation package for the owner to pay out come May.

Utter madness.

12 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

City old boys McClaren and Moyes seem a popular choice for this but the list goes on and on.

It's almost seems that some Club's would prefer to hire a confirmed failure than take a chance on creating a new one.

Is Monk a ‘confirmed failure’ when he took Swansea to their highest English league position finish ever?

What is deemed failure or failure after failure?  His record ain’t too bad.

F1A0629C-C28C-462D-A296-DDF4F0C2F7F0.thumb.jpeg.d0925c22a4fe3bd22e2bb762f59f2a78.jpeg

Swansea was a tough Prem gig, where he did a reasonable job.  

Leeds, he just missed out on play offs last season.  They aren’t as good a side as people expect....false expectations based on size.

Boro - yeah I agree a bit disappointing based on the money they splashed in the summer.

He’s the type of young manager I wouldn’t have been upset with had we gone with him instead of LJ.

Monk is no monk , but i quite like the guy. Think he's a decent manager, but cannot for the life of me think why anyone would take that job right now..

Oh, the prospect of a big pay-off in about 6 months time? 

Not exactly the "sack" is it, when we talk about football managers.

More like an investment

18 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Mark Hughes is a another.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What is deemed failure or failure after failure?  His record ain’t too bad.

F1A0629C-C28C-462D-A296-DDF4F0C2F7F0.thumb.jpeg.d0925c22a4fe3bd22e2bb762f59f2a78.jpeg

Swansea was a tough Prem gig, where he did a reasonable job.  

Leeds, he just missed out on play offs last season.  They aren’t as good a side as people expect....false expectations based on size.

Boro - yeah I agree a bit disappointing based on the money they splashed in the summer.

He’s the type of young manager I wouldn’t have been upset with had we gone with him instead of LJ.

Looking at his managerial history on that chart,  the law of diminishing returns would seem to indicate that he will be at Brum  for less than 100 days. 

Strange appointment both ways for me.

Birmingham need an immediate impact manager and I would’ve though Monk is more a medium/long term option.

His stock is also still reasonably high. Did a good job at Leeds - basket case of a club and he’s done better than anyone else recently, and a little harshly done by at Boro. It wasn’t exactly a car crash. 

Cant imagine he’d want to be managing in L1.

Odd whichever way you look at it. As we still have to have to play them let’s hope it goes badly!

46 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is Monk a ‘confirmed failure’ when he took Swansea to their highest English league position finish ever?

Needs to make a big impact at Brum though. Hasn't had a hit single in years, despite boosting his profile as a judge on The Voice and that short-lived dj stint on Radio X. 

Garry Monk at the BRITS last week... 

Ricky+Wilson+Voice+UK+Red+Carpet+Launch+London+Z8ixooceIF9l.jpg

29 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Strange how these things happen - 1st game in charge against his previous employers!

Let’s hope he gets them up tomorrow tomorrow night by taking some points off of Middlesbrough!

Football does have a strange way of throwing these things up.

It always surprises me how often a cup tie between two clubs replicate a fixture that has been played the previous weekend or is played the following one.

Witness Arsenal v Man City twice last week. 

I notice that on the Brum forum they all wanted Cotts as manager originally then a few weeks later they all wanted him out, it's like Groundhog day now with Monk. Birmingham's a basket case, they've had so many managers in a short time the squad is a complete mess, don't see any way they can stay up (Warnock might have done it but even he would have struggled)

Wasn't the real reason he was sacked from Boro because he was trying to engineer his return to Swansea?

I think his record is mixed. He did have a good season with Swansea, the wheels were definitely off though by the time he was sacked and he had no answer. Signs of promise, but not sure it was much else more as there is usually a surprise package each year in the PL.

With Leeds he just missed out on playoffs. Leeds seem to be a team that are top half Championship, occasionally threatening, so that seems an average type of performance.

And at Boro he was failing after a big spend and trying to force his exit.

Not a bad appointment, but I think it's fair to say jury is out re his abilities and question marks about his loyalty. If I was on the Brum board I'd have had Clarke right at the top of my list to be honest: showing good promise and turned around a disaster club (let's be fair, he has on the field at least) and he knows League One should the worst happen.

Archived