IGNORED

Wiggins (again)

Super

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's the bloody Frenchies shit stirring, they hate any non Frenchman winning the Tour. Same with Chris Froome.

I'm not so sure about Wiggins. Not just the French either as it was brought up by several teams in the Olympics. Smoke & fire ?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It's the bloody Frenchies shit stirring, they hate any non Frenchman winning the Tour. Same with Chris Froome.

Isn't this basically how Russia tried to explain away industrial scale cheating in Olympic sport? Balls to the nationality of those accused - if cycling is to recover its reputation then all accusations of cheating need to be investigated properly. Will be devastating if Team Sky did do this though - wasn't the whole point of them to try to represent a clean break from the sport?

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It is very hard to believe that in a sport rife with doping that Wiggins and Froome have had the success they've had without being on something. 

That's the type of attitude which all too many share unfortunately, particularly the Frenchies and Ruski's.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That's the type of attitude which all too many share unfortunately, particularly the Frenchies and Ruski's.

Well I am neither French nor Russian. It's common sense. Cycling is predominately about endurance and I'm afraid that's very easy to manipulate with the use of drugs.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

But it isn't just the French and Russians. The Aussies brought up the issue during the Olympics. Why have the attitude that it can't be true. Remember Lance Armstrong.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well that's nonsense on several levels, it is a report by MP's and none of them French and the French have had 32 years since Bernard Hinault in 1985 to get used to losing their own tour.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

The MP's have made this claim on the balance of probabilities in a forum that Wiggins can't defend himself. It seems that if there was some proper evidence there would be a court case or a proper enquiry by the governing bodies.

Wiggins, the team doctor, Brailsford and Sky had an opportunity to clear this up, but they withheld information, prevaricated, suffered memory loss, never kept or lost records, lied and were wholly unhelpful, the report is based upon all of that.

But of course the real story is Sky pretty much run football these days and they run cycling and cricket and one day rugby and when you own those sports the world can be your inhaler

42 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well that's nonsense on several levels, it is a report by MP's and none of them French and the French have had 32 years since Bernard Hinault in 1985 to get used to losing their own tour.

Wiggins, the team doctor, Brailsford and Sky had an opportunity to clear this up, but they withheld information, prevaricated, suffered memory loss, never kept or lost records, lied and were wholly unhelpful, the report is based upon all of that.

I know you're an enthusiast when it comes to the Tour and you must follow the wheeling, dealings and coverage far more closely than the majority of us on here do especially as you live in France 

Therefore I'm not going to debate with someone who's far more knowledgeable on cycling than I am.

I will say tho that my earlier comment about the Frenchies shit stirring was actually tongue in cheek.....

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I know you're an enthusiast when it comes to the Tour and you must follow the wheeling, dealings and coverage far more closely than the majority of us on here do especially as you live in France 

Therefore I'm not going to debate with someone who's far more knowledgeable on cycling than I am.

I will say tho that my earlier comment about the Frenchies shit stirring was actually tongue in cheek.....

Just Cycling?

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well I am neither French nor Russian. It's common sense. Cycling is predominately about endurance and I'm afraid that's very easy to manipulate with the use of drugs.

I agree, I have a friend who has forgotten more about road racing/grand tours than anybody else that I know and he has always said that HTF can you expect a mere mortal to climb up great big **** off mountains in blistering heat for 3 weeks with only 3 days off and get back on to their bikes every morning for another 100 miles of punishment and then their first instinct after a 'fall' is not to emulate Neymar by rolling around after a defender has breathed on him but to climb back on to their bike after having suffered horrendous injuries in the vain hope of catching the peloton or just finishing, mere mortals without the assistance of drugs could not do that it's probably impossible.

Of course he was talking about grand tour winners/possible winners, although I hoped as much as everybody else that Wiggins and Froome were clean, I knew that the likelihood was incredibly slim and probably statistically impossible, but I do still live in hope that Cav is clean because he is not a GC contender and shouldn't need those drugs.

I heard on talk sport earlier that 40% of pro cyclists have asthma and have taken the same drug that Wiggins used before some big cycling events....hmm ok then.

Team Sky and Wiggins have a lot to answer for, chuck the book at them.

Edit: Also this said drug is supposed to be used once a year (if needed) and Wiggins used it 9 times in 4 years...

Am I missing the issue here?  Everyone tries to enhance their performance, don’t they?  Isn’t that what good duet and training is all about?  So an athlete takes legal medication.  What’s the problem?  If it’s a banned substance, then he shouldn’t take it.  If it’s legal, what’s the problem?

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

I will say tho that my earlier comment about the Frenchies shit stirring was ....... **actually tongue in cheek.....

** wot like a French kiss?

25 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Am I missing the issue here?  Everyone tries to enhance their performance, don’t they?  Isn’t that what good duet and training is all about?  So an athlete takes legal medication.  What’s the problem?  If it’s a banned substance, then he shouldn’t take it.  If it’s legal, what’s the problem?

It's legal if it's legally used and in normal amounts.

What has caused the problem here is Sky, Brailsford, Wiggins and the team doctor, have been prevaricating, their story does not hold water, a doctor who doesn't keep records of the drug he was delivering to a hotel room at an event that regularly get's busted by the French police?, really?.

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:50, MichaelRobartes said:

The new report has been put together by UK MPs. The findings certainly don't make good reading for Team Sky.

I can't understand what the bloody hell it's got to do with MPs, surely the sport of cycling has its own body to oversee this type of thing. Maybe MPs could spend their time looking into things that would benefit the General Public...filling in the potholes in our roads would be a good start, it's like driving in a Third World country.

1 hour ago, marshy said:

I can't understand what the bloody hell it's got to do with MPs, surely the sport of cycling has its own body to oversee this type of thing. Maybe MPs could spend their time looking into things that would benefit the General Public...filling in the potholes in our roads would be a good start, it's like driving in a Third World country.

Yeah and they have done a sterling job so far haven't they?.

10 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Yeah and they have done a sterling job so far haven't they?.

You are right, we obviously need a committee of our M.P.s to sort out the problems of world cycling where the current governing body has obviously failed. I think it should be headed up by a couple of politicians with a keen interest in cycling. How about Andrew Mitchell and Boris Johnson?

2 hours ago, marshy said:

You are right, we obviously need a committee of our M.P.s to sort out the problems of world cycling where the current governing body has obviously failed. I think it should be headed up by a couple of politicians with a keen interest in cycling. How about Andrew Mitchell and Boris Johnson?

I suppose the issue is funding for the sport at Olympic level etc.

I seem to recall quite a few of fellow riders at the last Olympics being less than happy with the performance of certain UK cyclists in the velodrome.

I have just watched Bradley Wiggins interview on BBC iPlayer, and he denies any wrongdoing and as many of the accusations are quoting “unnamed” sources, from a report written behind Parliamentary privilege. I hope some effort has been made by MPs to determine that the source has no ulterior motive.

It does seem a case of who you believe, and as we do not know who one of the parties is, it makes it hard to judge.

We do love to build people up to knock them down.

https://www.propublica.org/article/elite-runner-had-qualms-alberto-salazar-asthma-drug-performance

Good article from a runner who worked with Salazar on the process. Mentions how athletes are exerted to the point of an asthma attack and rushed off to doctors to fail a test. Even if like Wiggins they tend to only suffer from summer allergies. They're then encouraged to abuse the drug to the maximum, against the doctors recommendation. 

And in general the battle between humans and genetics. The sense of entitlement that in some way we all have the right to bridge that gap through science. 

I agree that we should learn from this and end the culture of celebrity worship in sport and other avenues of life.

2 hours ago, Dave said:

I have just watched Bradley Wiggins interview on BBC iPlayer, and he denies any wrongdoing and as many of the accusations are quoting “unnamed” sources, from a report written behind Parliamentary privilege. I hope some effort has been made by MPs to determine that the source has no ulterior motive.

It does seem a case of who you believe, and as we do not know who one of the parties is, it makes it hard to judge.

We do love to build people up to knock them down.

I really think you should read some of the extracts of the evidence given by Brailsford, the sky team doctor and other sky team officials to the MP's committee, to get a feel for why there is such anger and utter disdain over the bullshit that sky were asking normal people to swallow.

If anybody has let Wiggins down it is his own team because their evidence was stuff of fairytales, Grimm.

Archived