IGNORED

190 tickets sold for Preston

Robin 101

5 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Let's look at this another way if we were away to Burton tomorrow and took say 700 (decent following) and then took 1000 to Preston on the Saturday( decent following) that totals 1700 over the 2 games which is actually less than the actual numbers that will be at both games, I could be talking Gas logic though !!!!!

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we'd have taken 700 to Burton on aTuesday night. Could be wrong but slightly more 'doable' than Preston. 

Had we been playing Preston on a Saturday however I'm fairly confident we'd have at least 1200-1500 up there (bear in mind we had 2400 up there for our last Saturday match at Deepdale at the top of L1). It is an important match tomorrow, but then ALL games are important now.

Certainly won't get more points for winning at Preston than we would by beating Burton on Saturday...where we will have 1800 fans having sold out our allocation.

3 hours ago, RedNight said:

Why are you talking about Saturday? I'm talking about tomorrow night, where we at taking 190... that should really inspire our players for an absolutely massive game 

But the 190 of us will sing and shout and roar our team on and hopefully even out sing Preston at times. Not everyone can go on a week night, those that go aren’t any better than those that can’t, just different circumstances. 

3 hours ago, marmite said:

RedNight is correct, it is a poor turnout from our fans but he is just one of many, including me, who are not going themselves. There are 2 away games in 5 days so obviously cost and distance and the fact its an evening game, all are factors. The club could have tried some incentives to get fans to travel to Preston but those going to other away games would say that wasn't fair. It is what it is, we just have to live with it but I applaud all those travelling tomorrow and all away games.

I would imagine the majority of us are of a working age so to do a journey to Preston for a midweek game when it's a crap journey up the M5 & M6 and back again is not exactly financial common sense. Having sold out our away allocation for Burton it's obvious we the fans have sensibly chosen what suits our pocket. If these fixtures were the other way around I dare say we would have taken a lot more to Preston on a Saturday and Burton being closer would have been more viable on a Tuesday?

4 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Very poor imo, just shows how small a club we are in this division. Not a dig just a fact. 

Two more facts:

1. We are 11th out of 24 for home attendances. 

2. At the end of December we were 12/24 for away support. 

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The factor that separates us from the historically big clubs for attendances in this league is spread of support.

The likes of Leeds and Sheffield Weds have support across the country, and whilst we have the usual decent amount of London exiles we just don’t have the history or success to have loads of nationwide exiles.

I’d say when you account for the new stadium boost to attendances we’re relatively similar to the likes of Cardiff or Brighton in terms of club size. Or atleast that’ll be our comparison clubs over the next few seasons given that Brighton are already in the prem and Cardiff were recently.

That’s not a bad place to be, I’d say our catchment area combined with poor history makes us relatively unique for the country in terms of potential growth as a club.

Takes years to get to the level of Leeds etc though, generations of support and sustained success.

That’s very true about London Exiles. Look at our away attendances for Tuesday night games in and around London. Consistently around 1,000 with the occasional 1,500 plus. Brum on a Tuesday we take a fair few. As soon as you go past Brum you’re looking at 2 half days at work that not everyone can do.

So morale of the story. Blame @cider-manc for not spreading the Bristol City love up north! 

2 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Too many apologists on here...190 away fans following a team who sit in the playoffs with 11 games left is terrible. We are still small in everything but our position in this league.

Who exactly are we apologising for? For any given game there are a huge number of variables that influence the away following. You might be talking in collective terms but ultimately you are criticising people for not spending their own money, for not taking time off work and for not being willing to travel a large distance on a Tuesday night for an unremarkable second tier game of football. What right do you have to criticise people for that?

Our most committed supporters are probably focussed on finding the money for season tickets on an unexpectedly short timescale, in many cases paying substantially more than they probably expected.

Time and again as a club we’ve shown ourselves to be capable of taking some excellent away followings.  Football is an expensive business and I don’t think anyone deserves criticism if they choose not to attend a long distance midweek away game. Most people have more going on in their lives than just football.

The factor that separates us from the historically big clubs for attendances in this league is spread of support.

The likes of Leeds and Sheffield Weds have support across the country, and whilst we have the usual decent amount of London exiles we just don’t have the history or success to have loads of nationwide exiles.

I’d say when you account for the new stadium boost to attendances we’re relatively similar to the likes of Cardiff or Brighton in terms of club size. Or atleast that’ll be our comparison clubs over the next few seasons given that Brighton are already in the prem and Cardiff were recently.

That’s not a bad place to be, I’d say our catchment area combined with poor history makes us relatively unique for the country in terms of potential growth as a club.

Takes years to get to the level of Leeds etc though, generations of support and sustained success

The majority of fans in this league could finish work at 17:30, go home, have tea then head off to an away match for 19:45 kick off. Our location has a major impact on following and if you look at the teams nearby. Cardiff and Reading the recent history both of those clubs better than ours yet we have higher away attendances. 

Takes years to get to the level of Leeds etc though, generations of support and sustained success.

I’ve had a Weston-Super here. :mf_sleep:

27 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

The majority of fans in this league could finish work at 17:30, go home, have tea then head off to an away match for 19:45 kick off...

So, the ‘majority’ of fans in the championship could finish work at 17.30 and get to an away game by 19.45? Really?!! 

So, let’s say they get finish work at 5.30pm (as you said) and get home at 6.00pm and have tea (as you said) and let’s say they finish tea at 6.30pm, you think they can get to an away game before 7.45pm?!! One and a quarter hours travel?

You said the ‘majority’ of fans in the championship could accomplish this?

So Brentford fans could get home at 6.00pm and then they could get to Leeds away for 7.45pm?

So Cardiff fans could get home at 6.00pm and then they could get to Middlesbro for 7.45pm?

So Hull fans could get home at 6.00pm and then they could get to Fulham for 7.45pm?

So Bolton fans could get home at 6.00pm and then they could get to Reading for 7.45pm?

So Nottm Forest fans could get home at 6.00pm and then they could get to Millwall for 7.45pm?

etc, etc, etc, etc...

You’re joking....

Could go on and on...are you sure you’ve got that right?!

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So, the ‘majority’ of fans in the championship could finish work at 17.30 and get to an away game by 19.45? Really?!! 

So, let’s say they get finish work at 5.30pm (as you said) and get home at 6.00pm and have tea (as you said) and let’s say they finish tea at 6.30pm, you think they can get to an away game before 7.45pm?!! One and a quarter hours travel?

So Brentford fans could get home at 6.00pm and then they could get to Leeds away for 7.45pm?

So Cardiff fans could get home at 6.00pm and then they could get to Middlesbro for 7.45pm?

So Hull fans could get home at 6.00pm and then they could get to Fulham for 7.45pm?

So Bolton fans could get home at 6.00pm and then they could get to Reading for 7.45pm?

So Nottm Forest fans could get home at 6.00pm and then they could get to Millwall for 7.45pm?

You’re joking....

I don’t think he was being literall..!

It’s a fact that “most” clubs that have far bigger regular away followings than us, have not only had historical success but also have a lot more games that within an hour away than we do. 

More local games mean “doing away games” becomes more of a habit and carries through to further distance games when they come along. 

We take decent followings to Cardiff, Swindon, Reading, even Brentford and further afield London clubs, for midweek games. 

Once you need to go north of Brum, it means people needing time off work, which isn’t possible, regularly, for many. Games like Man City, people obviously make an exception for. 

Well done to those that are going. I would love to have gone but with work the following day will have to give it a miss. Yes I went to Man city, I had to take leave from work, but I saw it as an opportunity that may not be repeated for a couple of seasons. Midweek evening games should where possible be within a 2 hour travelling time with the longer distances being on weekends or Friday nights

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

etc, etc, etc, etc...

You’re joking....

Jesus wept.

14 hours ago, RedNight said:

Ofcourse we are gunna take less, but 1/40th of our supper to Man City are making a similar trip to Preston. 

I would put everything I own on, if Rovers were 6th in the championship playing a team 3 points behind them, they would take more. 

you are talking shit end of

11 hours ago, reformed_red said:

I'm now sooooo tempted to go after reading this thread.

Working in Brighton tomorrow, might be able to slip away around 2pm...get to Preston by 6/7ish easy.....

Anyone want to jump in and share the fuel cost...????

Rednight is up for it.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

etc, etc, etc, etc...

You’re joking....

I think the point is that a lot of the clubs are bunched together. Maybe not be able to make it in these times with traffic but Derby, Burton, Forest, Wednesday, Sheffield Utd, Barnsley aren't a million miles away from each other.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

you are talking shit end of

The fact that they historically have a lower average home attendence and a lower average away following absolutely proves his point..... 

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

etc, etc, etc, etc...

You’re joking....

Maybe not. But when you consider that preston, bolton, leeds, sheffield wednesday, sheffield united, Barnsley, hull are very doable from each other (2 hours or so at most) on a week night without having to take time off work. 

Likewise the midland clubs can also be done from around these parts although with a late night getting back... So that is half the divison.

London has plenty of exlies for all clubs.

So that is 17 clubs out of 24 that are doable in numbers.

Suddenly it's only really ipswich, reading, norwich, cardiff, boro, sunderland (the last two of which can be done from east yorkshire within 2 hours ) and ourselves that look difficult for the majority of clubs to get to on an evening (obviously some are more difficult than others) So if i was a fan of a club in yorkshire there is a possibility that if the fixtures fall right i could attend every away game without the need for time off work. You can’t say the same for us... Not even close.

Unfortunately north of birmingham we rarely bother- but consider that it is the same travel time(ish) to hull from preston as it is from us to wolves.

I'm not suggesting we are with the big clubs in this divison such as leeds etc but we do better than most give credit for.

12 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

morale of the story. Blame @cider-manc for not spreading the Bristol City love up north! 

Ive done my best!... but perhaps a northern transfer for @Rudolf Hucker is what is required!

13 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

The majority of fans in this league could finish work at 17:30, go home, have tea then head off to an away match for 19:45 kick off.

Why would anybody in their right mind bother with 'tea' at home, given the wonderful selection of pies now on offer at Championship grounds? :) 

19 hours ago, RedNight said:

Ofcourse we are gunna take less, but 1/40th of our supper to Man City are making a similar trip to Preston. 

I would put everything I own on, if Rovers were 6th in the championship playing a team 3 points behind them, they would take more. 

That's the biggest heap of shit I've ever heard on OTIB, and I've seen some things mind.

Where did you get that from? Is it their historically lower home and away attendances and inability to fill a minuscule stadium? Or maybe their claims of being the best and most loyal fans in the country have got in your head?

Are you suggesting this isn't a massive game for us? We are in the play offs fighting for our life's. Everyone talks a big game on here and hammers Johnson / players when we lose .. but as fans, we gotta do better then that 

We have a Chief Executive that said we are not targetting promotion this season, and I think we can all sense this, taking into consideration the January transfer window. 

That's a big "if" you've got there. Very hypothetical.

Rovers haven't been 6th in the second tier since about 1959. They haven't played a minute in the second tier of English football for 25 years. 

Meanwhile, this is our 9th season of second class football in the last 11 seasons.

I don't think you are comparing like with like. Of course they would be more excited than us about being 6th at this level. Those ****ers find a trip to Walsall arousing.

Mind you, we are in danger of becoming a little blasè about things, I think that's true. 

Archived