IGNORED

Palace v Man Utd

Slippin cider

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If they finish 2nd...well it'll be a bit of a mystery tbh, I still think they are nothing amazing.

Whether you finish 2nd 3rd or 4th little difference. Still miles off top spot.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Well you do go straight into group stage of CL if 2nd don’t you? Less of a pre season!

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Well you do go straight into group stage of CL if 2nd don’t you? Less of a pre season!

Think all of them go straight in from next season. No qualifying anymore.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

It's a bit like Liverpool last season, Klopp needed to get into the top 4 to show progress and so does Mourinho.

But I have to say they do not look like a happy bunch, Pogba and Lukaku arguing, Mourinho berating his players, Pogba looked like he didn't give a shit and by **** he is lazy, Sanchez was awful and Lingard not far behind and Shaw is still fat.

14 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It will be because the other teams are not good enough, plain and simple.

Ok.

Will explain my point a bit more..

Man City are clearly the top. Clearly the best.

Liverpool and Tottenham..more dominant in their varied ways overall.

Chelsea seem to have fallen off, but they were worth a point at OT IMO. In big games this year, not like Manchester U have dominated anyone... I don't really consider them part of European elite either currently.

The thing that really irritates me about Man U is the fact that with the players they have, they should 100% be going toe to toe and challenging Man City. 

I mean the potential quality they have in Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez, Linguard and even Rashford is huge.

Also Smalling, Valencia and de Gea. What a team.

I genuinely believe Jose is managing such a talented team really poorly, and making quality players like Lukaku, Pogba and Sanchez perform worse than their ability. 

Such a waste of exciting footballing talent IMO, why can't he utilise some of the best attaking footballers in the game to produce some exciting football. Really frustaiting.

3 minutes ago, Williams' Penalty said:

The thing that really irritates me about Man U is the fact that with the players they have, they should 100% be going toe to toe and challenging Man City. 

I mean the potential quality they have in Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez, Linguard and even Rashford is huge.

I genuinely believe Jose is managing such a talented team really poorly, and making quality players like Lukaku, Pogba and Sanchez perform worse than their ability. 

Yeah, with a line up like that, they are probably the 2nd best team in the country, along with possibly Liverpool & Spurs. So they are about where they all should be..!

9 minutes ago, Williams' Penalty said:

Such a waste of exciting footballing talent IMO, why can't he utilise some of the best attaking footballers in the game to produce some exciting football. Really frustaiting.

A team with Valencia and Young both over 30 at full back... Could get exposed by elite sides here and abroad IMO.

However...a midfield 3 of Pogba, Herrera, Matic and a front 3, a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Sanchez...balance, pace, skill and fluidity IMO. Lukaku scores goals, but is he elite? How well does he contribute v the best?

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes it does..! It wins Champions League qualification. The benchmark of every big club these days. 

How many years on the bounce did Arsenal qualify? 20!!

What trophies do they have for that NONE

If England come 4th in this summers World Cup what will they get Nothing

Will Germany be happy with 2nd 3rd or 4th? No chance

Sport is about winning

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Sport used to be about winning, but now with football it’s all about the money.......

Corrected that for you! :)

1 minute ago, Maltshoveller said:

Sport is about winning

What has tournament football got to do with league placings..?!

20 years of champions league qualification made Arsenal one of the richest clubs on the planet. 

Their “trophy” was qualifying for the champions league. 

Only 1 team can win a division. Other prizes are on offer. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Lukaku scores goals, but is he elite? How well does he contribute v the best?

I really believe Lukaku is better than he has shown this season. I think the way he was played at Everton as an out and out striker suited him much more. He is a great player and don't think he is suited to the way Jose plays him. As for performing against the best, I think he has the ability when played in the role that suits him, one of the most powerful strikers I've seen. 

15 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yeah, with a line up like that, they are probably the 2nd best team in the country, along with possibly Liverpool & Spurs. So they are about where they all should be..!

Hmmm I see your point, I guess what I was trying to say is there shouldn't be this huge gulf between Man U and Man City.

Also I feel it's more frustration at the way they play and achieve their results rather than the actual results themselves.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What has tournament football got to do with league placings..?!

20 years of champions league qualification made Arsenal one of the richest clubs on the planet. 

Their “trophy” was qualifying for the champions league. 

Only 1 team can win a division. Other prizes are on offer. 

Ok i will give you its good for the clubs money wise

But if you asked most of those Arsenal players What means most to you

(1) Playing in the champions league or (2) Winning FA Cups 

I would think most will say WINNING  FA cups

13 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Yes, you are probably right. But that doesn’t mean that finishing in the top 4 is no achievement. 

I’m sure many FA Cup winners would jump ship for a team that’s playing champions league football. 

21 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

You are probably right Maltshoveller.

However, the reality for the top clubs these days is that you won't attract the very best players on the promise of winning  FA Cups. Top, top players want to go to clubs playing in the champions league, allied to paying top salaries, and the champions league gives increased revenue and higher exposure leading to better sponsorship and advertising deals, all of which enables top clubs to afford top salaries.

I grew up at a time when the magic of the FA Cup was real for fans, players and owners and the winners went into a major European Cup competition. It was also the time when only the champions played in the European Cup, which was a proper cup competition. 

Football is big business, and the owners are mostly hard nosed businessmen with little interest in the romance of the FA Cup as compared to the financial rewards on offer from the Champions League. :(

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A team with Valencia and Young both over 30 at full back... Could get exposed by elite sides here and abroad IMO.

However...a midfield 3 of Pogba, Herrera, Matic and a front 3, a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Sanchez...balance, pace, skill and fluidity IMO. Lukaku scores goals, but is he elite? How well does he contribute v the best?

Martial is overrated for me. And Rashford aint world class, although he does have talent for his age.

3 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Easy, playing in the Champions League, what boosts your wages more? An FA Cup win or experience in the CL?

You have an odd idea of footballers’ motivation.

10 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Martial is overrated for me. And Rashford aint world class, although he does have talent for his age.

Fair enough. Martial's record is reasonably good tbh...more the tactics of it all, those 3 switching and interchanging, would do better than Lukaku I reckon, more unpredictable. Depends how they want to set up, I suppose but I don't see Lukaku as really troubling the top sides in Europe- not least because the CL is a bit less tolerant of physicality than English football- actually most nations are, have been in some ways but the CL in particular.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair enough. Martial's record is reasonably good tbh...more the tactics of it all, those 3 switching and interchanging, would do better than Lukaku I reckon, more unpredictable. Depends how they want to set up, I suppose but I don't see Lukaku as really troubling the top sides in Europe- not least because the CL is a bit less tolerant of physicality than English football- actually most nations are, have been in some ways but the CL in particular.

Yeah I think Lukaku has previously been called a flat-track bully. As for Martial, I think he's good but reading some of the comments on the United forum, you'd think he was the best thing since sliced bread. I suppose they are starved of genuine flair these days.

20 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah I think Lukaku has previously been called a flat-track bully. As for Martial, I think he's good but reading some of the comments on the United forum, you'd think he was the best thing since sliced bread. I suppose they are starved of genuine flair these days.

My view basically that set up, in that 4-3-3 would be more fluid and have more flair than their current. Nice problem to have anyway for them...

even though we did beat them, deservedly so!

Archived