IGNORED

Flint for England WC Squad

WarksRobin

5 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

Having seen a documentary about the 1966 World Cup winning squad, nobody expected Jack Charlton of being selected pre-tournament but her was brought in to "do a job" in the position and formation that Sir Alf wanted.  Not that you can mention Sir Alf and Gareth Southgate in the same sentence.

Or Aden Flint and Jack Charlton...

Jack Charlton had top division pedigree and played for England extremely consistently in the build up, and as early as April 1965 so had Flint been an England regular for a year already we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The situation is completely incomparable.

No one get any ridiculous visions of Flinty winning the world cup for England, he simply is no where near the squad at this moment in time, and with all due respect to the guy, who has been a colossus for us on many occasions, he almost certainly never will be.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Is this thread a joke?

If Harry Maguire is on that plane...

There really isn’t much difference in class for defenders in the Championship to the Premier League. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Harry Maguire wouldn’t look out of place in this division!

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

There really isn’t much difference in class for defenders in the Championship to the Premier League. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Harry Maguire wouldn’t look out of place in this division!

Slight difference in the class of player they face week by week though. 

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Phil Jones that has been a consistent member of the second best defence in the Premier League wouldn’t look out of place playing in the Championship?

36 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Defensively, would I take any of the current England centre backs in preference to Flint? Possibly. Factor in though his massively improved passing ability and goal scoring prowess, then he’s on the plane for me.

He’s proven he can cope with the best. 

Until England look to build a team, rather than select a group of individual  ‘stars’ - based on the fact they are regulars (and made to look good by their foreign teammates) in the Premiership top six - we will continue in international obscurity. 

Look at it this way, set Henderson as a threshold for squad qualification and 90% of players in the Championship would be candidates. 

A handfull of games in a cup competition where the opposition weren't really bothered about the outcome doesn't really prove he can cope with the best. Let's be honest City were well up for it and the opposition weren't. Give him a season or two in a league campaign to judge how good he is. 

7 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Phil Jones that has been a consistent member of the second best defence in the Premier League wouldn’t look out of place playing in the Championship?

Phil Jones is a myth. We haven’t replaced the golden era of Terry, Rio, Neville, Cole etc.

At this present time, defenders from the Championship aren’t a million miles away. 

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Phil Jones is a myth. We haven’t replaced the golden era of Terry, Rio, Neville, Cole etc.

At this present time, defenders from the Championship aren’t a million miles away. 

So then, if Manchester United had our back four this season, how do you think they would be getting on?

12 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Exactly. Wes Morgan has a Premier League winners medal for gods sake!

19 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I can only confess to seeing Phil Jones in the flesh on one occasion, Englands 3-2 defeat to France last June. As far as I was concerned he was by far and away England's best player that day. Just my 2 pence

57 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Nonsense.  You would notice the difference I promise you

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

Jack Charlton had top division pedigree and played for England extremely consistently in the build up, and as early as April 1965 so had Flint been an England regular for a year already we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The situation is completely incomparable.

No one get any ridiculous visions of Flinty winning the world cup for England, he simply is no where near the squad at this moment in time, and with all due respect to the guy, who has been a colossus for us on many occasions, he almost certainly never will be.

And that was the point that I was trying to make.  Obviously unsuccessfully

God no - why does this same conversation come up. Joe Bryan touted a few months back - he has been average in this league ever since. I doubt any of our players will ever get close. Tammy you could see last season was a cut above and even he hasn't smashed the Prem. 

Clearly people do not understand the step up in class to the Premier League.  Many players too good for this league and not good enough for the next.  

Flint, Baker, Smith, Bryan and Reid could cut it I reckon but at teams in bottom half. All of those are miles away from England call ups much like many English players at Bournemouth and the like. 

The poster who says that Flint is better than Jones and Smalling is simply clueless.  

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Clearly people do not understand the step up in class to the Premier League.  Many players too good for this league and not good enough for the next.  

Flint, Baker, Smith, Bryan and Reid could cut it I reckon but at teams in bottom half. All of those are miles away from England call ups much like many English players at Bournemouth and the like. 

The poster who says that Flint is better than Jones and Smalling is simply clueless.  

Haven't always agreed with you in the past, but you're absolutely spot on here.

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I agree with @Coxy27, this is absolutely spot on.

23 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

God no - why does this same conversation come up. Joe Bryan touted a few months back - he has been average in this league ever since. I doubt any of our players will ever get close. Tammy you could see last season was a cut above and even he hasn't smashed the Prem. 

But Glenn Murray has, it all depends who you play for.

Off topic, I know, but most people would have Tammy above Murray, the Swansea move just hasn’t worked out for him.

2 hours ago, MurrayLives said:

Exactly. Wes Morgan has a Premier League winners medal for gods sake!

Danny Simpson is another...

Think people are still caught up with England being up there with one of the best in the world. We’re simply not, not even close.

Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and even John Stones at times can be liabilities. Bobby Reid had the latter in his pocket...

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Danny Simpson is another...

Think people are still caught up with England being up there with one of the best in the world. We’re simply not, not even close.

Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and even John Stones at times can be liabilities. Bobby Reid had the latter in his pocket...

And I think people get caught up with hating on English players to the extent they equate not being world class with Championship standard

Archived