IGNORED

Flint for England WC Squad

WarksRobin

51 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Cresswell has played at CH at times IIRC but both would be picked ahead of our Aden.

If you count our successful U23's and U21's, there are easily 30 ahead of Flinty and that's before you start looking at other Championship defenders.

Cahill

Jones

Smalling

Stones

McGuire

Jack Stephens

Nathan Ake

Lascelles

Tyrone Mings

Charlie Daniels

James Tarkowski

Ben Mee

Michael Keane

Phil Jagielka

Ryan Shawcross

Craig Dawson

Eric Dier

Joe Gomez

Cresswell

Lewis Dunk

Alfie Mawson

Kyle Bartley

Scott Dann

James Tomkins

Joel Ward

Mason Holgate

Tyler blackett

Jonjoe Kenney

Kyle Walker Peters

Trent Alexander Arnold

There are a few there that play as full backs but have played at CH, I will admit but all of these would be picked ahead of a Championship player because they're with Premier League sides or have come through the England 'system'. I'm sure there are a few I've forgotten as well. Gomez would be the wild card pick IMHO, he was impressive V Brazil.

Flinty is nowhere near!! 

Who was the last outfield England player from the football league? Anyone know?

Would very much like Gomez to go, think he's gonna be a quality player.

Jay Bothroyd maybe? David Nugent?

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Would very much like Gomez to go, think he's gonna be a quality player.

Jay Bothroyd maybe? David Nugent?

I agree about Gomez, he does look good.

Would Defoe have played for England as a Championship player? Otherwise i reckon it might be Nugent as well.

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

I agree about Gomez, he does look good.

Would Defoe have played for England as a Championship player? Otherwise i reckon it might be Nugent as well.

I've just googled it and Wikipedia reckons 'Jay Bothroyd played for England while he was at Cardiff in 2011, becoming the first football league player to play for England since David Nugent in 2007'.

The more you know eh?

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I've just googled it and Wikipedia reckons 'Jay Bothroyd played for England while he was at Cardiff in 2011, becoming the first football league player to play for England since David Nugent in 2007'.

The more you know eh?

Fair play, I wouldn't have got that! 

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair play, I wouldn't have got that! 

That's a pub quiz question if I've ever seen one.

Just be thankful I was here to educate the baying masses like yourself, SJ :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Isn't that what friendlies are for? GS has openly said that playing in the Championship is not a bar to inclusion. I also think he is more technically proficient than you give him credit for.

Hes better than a lot Donkeys in the prem Smalling Cahill Stones etc wears his heart on his sleeve wouldnt let his country down

20 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Hes better than a lot Donkeys in the prem Smalling Cahill Stones etc wears his heart on his sleeve wouldnt let his country down

Wearing your heart on your sleeve won't stop every top international striker putting you on your arse

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Wearing your heart on your sleeve won't stop every top international striker putting you on your arse

Wish Iceland ... and virtually any other third rate country we play in tournaments ..... had read your script. 

11 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Name me better English Centre halfs an i did say English

Scroll up mate. This was posted by @Ska Junkie. Most of them are better, and all of them more likely to get in the England team.

Cahill

Jones

Smalling

Stones

McGuire

Jack Stephens

Lascelles

Tyrone Mings

Charlie Daniels

James Tarkowski

Ben Mee

Michael Keane

Phil Jagielka

Ryan Shawcross

Craig Dawson

Eric Dier

Joe Gomez

Cresswell

Lewis Dunk

12 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Wish Iceland ... and virtually any other third rate country we play in tournaments ..... had read your script. 

Dunno what your trying to say but it reads like passion is the most important thing in international football. I wish it was but it just isn't.

I'd rather have Cahill and Smalling than Aden Flint because they're better players. If Flint was better than Smalling he'd have ****** off to Man United by now.

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

Scroll up mate. This was posted by @Ska Junkie. Most of them are better, and all of them more likely to get in the England team.

Cahill

Jones

Smalling

Stones

McGuire

Jack Stephens

Lascelles

Tyrone Mings

Charlie Daniels

James Tarkowski

Ben Mee

Michael Keane

Phil Jagielka

Ryan Shawcross

Craig Dawson

Eric Dier

Joe Gomez

Cresswell

Lewis Dunk

Of your list, I’d remove Cresswell (he’s a LB who’s payed LCB, but in no way is he a CB), Daniels, very similar reasons to Cresswell.

Dawson - similar to Flint imho, but more experienced in the Prem, and played for GB in Olympics....but he’s not great.

But everyone else would be difficult to argue are worse than Flint (as much as I like Aden).  We really do have some blinkered opinions on here!

Of the lesser names, I like the look of Stephens and Lascelles is a dying breed of defenders who love defending.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Of your list, I’d remove Cresswell (he’s a LB who’s payed LCB, but in no way is he a CB), Daniels, very similar reasons to Cresswell.

Dawson - similar to Flint imho, but more experienced in the Prem, and played for GB in Olympics....but he’s not great.

But everyone else would be difficult to argue are worse than Flint (as much as I like Aden).  We really do have some blinkered opinions on here!

Of the lesser names, I like the look of Stephens and Lascelles is a dying breed of defenders who love defending.

Can't even believe I'm having to argue this!

Of the current crop of young English centre halves I'm most impressed by Stephens and Gomez. Not watched much of the actual England youth sides but Gomez in particular looks a cut above already for Liverpool, between CB and FB.

9 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Cahill

Jones

Smalling

Stones

McGuire

Jack Stephens

Lascelles

Tyrone Mings

Charlie Daniels

James Tarkowski

Ben Mee

Michael Keane

Phil Jagielka

Ryan Shawcross

Craig Dawson

Eric Dier

Joe Gomez

Cresswell

Lewis Dunk

well the first four youve mentioned have played before and cost England on many occasions  Tarkowski is a fullback or is it you just dont rate flint

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

well the first four youve mentioned have played before and cost England on many occasions  Tarkowski is a fullback or is it you just dont rate flint

I love Flint to bits, I think he's superb, but he's not even our best centre half. 

Nobody would be happier to see him in the England team than me, but it won't happen, because there are ******* reams of English centre halves that are better than him.

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Dunno what your trying to say but it reads like passion is the most important thing in international football. I wish it was but it just isn't.

I'd rather have Cahill and Smalling than Aden Flint because they're better players. If Flint was better than Smalling he'd have ****** off to Man United by now.

Passion and pride is part of it.

More importantly, is playing as a team. Like Greece demonstrated, you don’t necessarily need to have the best players, just the best organisation. A team with players that have a set of skills that complement each other.

Alf Ramsey understood that in winning the World Cup. Interestingly, since his era we’ve won f all by selecting the Premiership ‘stars’ constantly looking just at the individual rather than the needs of an effective team. 

Correct me if I’m wrong - probably am - but did not Wales progress further in the last tournament than we did? 

14 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Tarkowski a RB?  Once for 9 minutes v Stoke almost 2 years ago.  You’ve had a ‘mare mate.

4 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Passion and pride is part of it.

Of course it is, just not as big a part as some would like to pretend.

More importantly, is playing as a team. Like Greece demonstrated, you don’t necessarily need to have the best players, just the best organisation. A team with players that have a set of skills that complement each other.

Agreed, perhaps Flint has what no other player has in being a large aerial presence in the box, as well as being quick, with a lower league background. I'd love for it to happen, my contention is that it isn't going to happen because of the amount of individual centre halves that are objectively better and "more proven" at that level. I'd rather have Smalling go to an international tournament than a complete unknown.

Alf Ramsey understood that in winning the World Cup. Interestingly, since his era we’ve won f all by selecting the Premiership ‘stars’ constantly looking just at the individual rather than the needs of an effective team. 

I don't know what the England team specifically needs but I trust Gareth Southgate more than I trust OTIB. I'm sure the needs of the team are part of the discussion, anyhow.

Correct me if I’m wrong - probably am - but did not Wales progress further in the last tournament than we did? 

No idea, but they were a team based on one individuals skill set, with lots of average ones surrounding him, weren't they?

Re 1966 World Cup.....Jack Charlton....yourtypical hard as nails centre half....apart from he could okay too.  Vastly underrated on the ball.

Watch that final and look how often he brought the ball forward...wasn’t just Bobby Moore who did it.

As for Flint, he’s turned himself into one of the better CBs in the Championship.  If he didn’t get goals, would he be noticed as much?  I don’t think so, but that’s not to dismiss him as a CB.

Until you see a player perform at the next level up, you cannot say he’s better than x or y.  Easy to be critical if your Smalling or Jones’s, but they are at Man Utd for a reason.  I don’t particularly rate them, although if Smalling was just asked to defend and not get involved in the ‘play’, I think you might see his overall performances improve.  I think he can defend.  Stones doesn’t have the right instincts to make the right decisions at International level.

But to think they are worse than Flint is a huge leap of faith, or your his agent :P

If you are his agent, hope you didn’t take too big a chunk of his new contract. :whistle:

37 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Cahill

Jones

Smalling

Stones

McGuire

Jack Stephens

Lascelles

Tyrone Mings

Charlie Daniels

James Tarkowski

Ben Mee

Michael Keane

Phil Jagielka

Ryan Shawcross

Craig Dawson

Eric Dier

Joe Gomez

Cresswell

Lewis Dunk

Tompkins 

3 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

johnson was looking at him once as a right back Bunley? as a possible transfer target i beleive

Had him at Oldham as a centre back when he was manager there.  Played him 39 times as a CB, and 2 as a DM.

Archived