IGNORED

Flint for England WC Squad

WarksRobin

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Re 1966 World Cup.....Jack Charlton....yourtypical hard as nails centre half....apart from he could okay too.  Vastly underrated on the ball.

Watch that final and look how often he brought the ball forward...wasn’t just Bobby Moore who did it.

As for Flint, he’s turned himself into one of the better CBs in the Championship.  If he didn’t get goals, would he be noticed as much?  I don’t think so, but that’s not to dismiss him as a CB.

Until you see a player perform at the next level up, you cannot say he’s better than x or y.  Easy to be critical if your Smalling or Jones’s, but they are at Man Utd for a reason.  I don’t particularly rate them, although if Smalling was just asked to defend and not get involved in the ‘play’, I think you might see his overall performances improve.  I think he can defend.  Stones doesn’t have the right instincts to make the right decisions at International level.

But to think they are worse than Flint is a huge leap of faith, or your his agent :P

If you are his agent, hope you didn’t take too big a chunk of his new contract. :whistle:

If only.

Just thinking England could do well to ditch the player selection template that has failed us for 50 years and try something new. 

A few ‘wild cards’, certainly Ssenyoung (sp.) and, possibly, a couple of other Championship players should at the very least be in the manager’s consideration. 

More critically, England need to identify a pattern of play that will define us. Then pick the best players for those roles and one’s that complement the players around them.

OK, Flinty as an England international maybe a bit far-fetched. However, you can’t ignore the fact that he probably is the best goal scoring centre-half in the Country. Accept that is in the Championship but I’m pretty confident his skill set would stand the test of a higher level. He could well be a useful ‘club in the bag’ at international level in certain circumstances. 

2 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

well the first four youve mentioned have played before and cost England on many occasions  Tarkowski is a fullback or is it you just dont rate flint

No because all of them he has listed are better than flint and tarkowski replaces Michael Keane at cb for Burnley.

Flint is not international class

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Gutted Nathan Ake is Dutch.  Had no idea, really thought it was just that he looks like Gullit.  Suppose I’ve always been surprised he hasn’t been called up by England....this’ll be why!

Yep I agree....and did you know that the Cherries’ Josh King is Norwegian?! Madness!

16 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Rodgers - sacked. Klopp found a forward line in the nick of time.

The guy is a liability. His first thought, can I pass backwards or sideways. Destroys momentum. England ain’t going to break teams down in the final third when we allow time for the opposition to put 11 players between us and the goal. We ain’t got the skill set in the England forwards to do that - it’s not their game to play intricate passes with loads of trickery in that final third.  

Wonder why he has become a standing joke amongst millions of football fans? Wonder why no foreign teams haven’t attempted to buy him? Wonder why the ‘big 4’ haven’t sounded him out?

Coincidentally, there was a topic on Hendo on Talksport yesterday evening that i had to agree with. The jist of it that as he's had to fill the boots of a club legend he will always be compared to that standard, and that because he's not a spectacular player who will win you games alone, has become a scapegoat. You talk about Liverpool like they are not a "big" club :laugh: he's captain and a leader of a great club maybe he's happy?

The whole backwards and sideways passing is a myth and a massive part of the modern game, this type of play more often than not builds potent attacks which suits Liverpool down to the ground. Also, for the record if you spectated their match with Newcastle on the weekend he demonstrated his range of passing even to include a few "Hollywood" balls which fans so eagerly fall over themselves for :laugh: 

15 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Hes better than a lot Donkeys in the prem Smalling Cahill Stones etc wears his heart on his sleeve wouldnt let his country down

Partly why these guys especially Jones has had so many injuries. For wearing their hearts on their sleeves. 

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Agree. Flint isnt even the best centre half at this level, let alone international standard. He’d be so out of his depth it wouldn’t even be funny. 

13 hours ago, Super said:

Please delete this embarrassing thread.

It's a strange one, it really is. One clean sheet in the cup run. Sakho destroyed Flint in the Palace game until he ran out of puff, especially in wide positions. People are really blinkered. 

15 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

It's a strange one, it really is. One clean sheet in the cup run. Sakho destroyed Flint in the Palace game until he ran out of puff, especially in wide positions. People are really blinkered. 

Always the same on here. Same with Bryan before xmas.

3 hours ago, footie said:

Coincidentally, there was a topic on Hendo on Talksport yesterday evening that i had to agree with. The jist of it that as he's had to fill the boots of a club legend he will always be compared to that standard, and that because he's not a spectacular player who will win you games alone, has become a scapegoat. You talk about Liverpool like they are not a "big" club :laugh: he's captain and a leader of a great club maybe he's happy?

The whole backwards and sideways passing is a myth and a massive part of the modern game, this type of play more often than not builds potent attacks which suits Liverpool down to the ground. Also, for the record if you spectated their match with Newcastle on the weekend he demonstrated his range of passing even to include a few "Hollywood" balls which fans so eagerly fall over themselves for :laugh: 

Not a Liverpool fan, so as long as Hendo keeps playing and they remain trophy-less that’s fine by me. Assume from what you say though that many Scousers think he’s rank bang-average too.

More concerned with his adject performances for England myself. Any midfield player who’s first thought is, as per Henderson, to pass sideways or backwards should be locked up in the Tower and the key thrown away. That style of play is so 1990’s. Thankfully, as it was as boring as watching paint dry and about as effective, the game quickly moved on.

Give me positive, expansive, fluent, forward-momentum football any day over slow, ponderous, negative Hendo-style play.

He’s been made the scapegoat by millions of football fans because he epitomises and is one of the best exponents of the defunct brand of Anti-Football. Hope he gets nowhere near the England squad, but suspect good old Southgate will faithfully include him and we’ll yet again fail in a tournament to achieve anything bar an early exit. 

Archived